Old 01 June 2009, 12:56   #1

Town: Muscat
Boat name: Abdul Aziz 3
Make: Libra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x Yam 75 OB
Can I reuse prop bush

I bent a prop 150m off the beach in Muscat in 13 feet of water. Hit some concrete that was probably washed out of a wadi in the cyclone in 2007. Prop is on Johnson 105 Commercial, year 2000, prop Part no 391201, 14 1/2" x 19". Diagram on BRP Parts website. Pic doesn't show how badly the top right prop blade is bent.

I may be able to get a prop in Abu Dhabi at the weekend but cannot get the splined/rubber bush that goes inside. Prop is twice the price of same from USA but I need to be back in the water asap.

My question is can i remove the bush from the old prop and re-use it on a temporary basis unti lI can get the right parts from UK/USA. I guess this bad practice but may keep me on the water while I wait.

Also should I replace thrust bushing and prop nut spacers as a matter of course?

I am also hoping no damage to gearcase or driveshaft. Any advice welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9171.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	42891  
Old 01 June 2009, 17:58   #2

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Should be no problem to re-use the prop bush if its not torn the rubber and you can separate it from the prop. Thrust washers etc should be fine too.
Old 02 June 2009, 02:12   #3

Town: Muscat
Boat name: Abdul Aziz 3
Make: Libra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x Yam 75 OB
Thanks Martini

This prop is beyond repair due to pitting corrosion that has weakened it as well as the bent/torn blades. Therefore I am not too concerned about damaging it. However as I have never removed a bush before I am guessing that the prop should be heated to expand it first, perhaps with rags and boiling water? and then the bush pressed or pulled out? I would be grateful for advice if this is the right method and whether I should try to lubricate the old bush before trying to remove from the old / re-insert it in the new prop?

I have found a prop for sale in Abu Dhabi and hope the dealer will be able to swap the bushes for me but need to cover my bases in case I need to do it myself as there re no bushes available in UAE if I stuff it up,

Many thanks again