Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 30 September 2008, 20:08   #1

Town: cumbria
Length: 3m +
Engine: evinrude 50hp
Can Anybody Help Me??? Please???

HI all thaught i would ask the question that nobody seems to be able to answer me
i have an evinrude 50hp sizzler roughly 1970 ish and its manual tilt...
can anybody point me in the right direction as to where i go as i want to convert it to power trim and tilt...
im looking for advise on parts to buy even if other manufacturors fit and possibly any links or numbers for parts...
your advise will be greatly appreciated.
kind regards mark
Old 01 October 2008, 08:14   #2

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
I wouldn't think it's worth doing with genuine parts, assuming they are available it would probably cost you over a grand.

This would be your cheapest option...

http://cook-mfg.net/cart/index.php?m...b769a3c3b17f8e
Old 01 October 2008, 08:35   #3

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
i think you could buy a much newer engine with PTT for the price of converting it, or even less if you dont mind something mid to late 80s. then you still have a spare 50 or you could sell it to get back some of the cost of your newer engine.
even with ptt a 30-40 year old engine isnt going to worth considerably more either, probably wouldnt cover the cost of the conversion if you sold it.
treat yourself to a newer motor
Old 01 October 2008, 19:25   #4

to be honest the engine is excellent and although old it has only done 40hrs under the cover there is not one but of rust or crap so its worth doing i think.
im just hoping someone will see the thread and say ive got the parts you need...
Old 01 October 2008, 19:28   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by r32to330d View Post
to be honest the engine is excellent and although old it has only done 40hrs under the cover there is not one but of rust or crap so its worth doing i think.
im just hoping someone will see the thread and say ive got the parts you need...
Unlikely-I don't think 50hp motors were made with power trim that far back. The only option would be to try and find an entire saddle from a later 50 Johnnyrude VRO that carries the PTT setup and graft it on. Not sure if it'd line up in the right places though. It's worth running a tape measure over someone's VRO 50 if they'll let you.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2008, 13:00   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Yep, have to agree with Nos on this one.

http://www.old-omc.de/index2.html
has scans of various sales brochures - even in 1977, the 70Hp was manual tilt, and PTT was an option on the 140! (hernias supplied free of charge! ) At that time, PTT was a massive luxury.....

If it's in such good nick, it's probably worth keeping it that way. The chances of finding something to fit are slim, and even if you do, no matter how shiny & good nick it looks I will guarantee you'll spend the entire winter drilling out & helicoiling sheared bolts. (having done various repairs on a '71 vintage Johnsorude 25Hp) If it's a classic boat you have, I'd be tempted to leave it well alone if it works!

I've been trying to do the same with mine (1978 vintage), and without fail any PTT unit that has come up has been priced not much less than I paid for the entire boat, as they are like the proverbial rocking horse droppings...... I think (but need to measure one to confirm) that the clamp bracket may have carried forward to the "new" 3 cyl autolube 50 / 60 that replaced mine around 1981, but until I find one to measure..... I'd still probabyl be cheaper with a new machine.
Old 04 October 2008, 16:36   #7

hhhhmmmmmm sod it i might upgrade to a power trim 60hp if anybody is selling 1?????????????????????????? and i might place my 50 on ebay???