Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 17 August 2014, 14:09   #1

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Calling Yam 2stroke experts: How concerned should I be?

Just noticed about half an inch of play fore and aft at the top of the engine mount. Steering linkage attaches to 'tiller', which has two bolts going through it which disappear into the lower cowling.

Looking at the exploded diagram on boats.net it looks like there's some rubber bushing under the power head which has fully or partially failed. Depending on what's under there it may be just some extra play, or it may be that the gear selector is the only thing holding it on.

Its a 1993 85AET two stroke, I have a video but can't up load from my mobile.
Old 17 August 2014, 16:24   #2

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
It can't break right off as there are big washers that will not pull through the alloy casting. But your having issues selecting reverse as you are quite correct that your gear linkage is fouling. Easy job IF the power head bolts come out.
Old 18 August 2014, 06:06   #3

Thanks Davie.

Anyone else want to reassure me, cos I'm supposed to be taking to to Anglesey in a fortnight.

Also, if I can get the power head bolts off is it liftable by two people? I'd be doing it in the open with no hoist.
Old 20 August 2014, 20:31   #4

Town: Leeds
Make: Valiant 450
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 55HP
It sounds like your top mounts are shot. This can be a pig of a job for the following reasons.
1) powerhead bolts seized.
2) if the bolts holding the plate on top of the mounts are seized, they will have to be re threaded into the exhaust guide.
3) the mount bolts which go through the mounts and tiller will be seized. You will have to hear the tiller with a gas axe to get them out. You will have to remove the tiller.
4) because you have to remove the tiller and to replace the mounts, you will have to remove the bottom mounts as well.

This is not an easy job. If it has been done before on that engine, pray that the chap greased all the bolts when reassembling.

As far as a one man job, if you are strong enough, yes it can be done. Remove the gearbox (will have to come off anyway) and you should be able to lift the power head off ok. Lowering the back of the boat will help. If it high up, you have no chance without a chain block and tackle.

If you do manage to get everything apart and are willing to spend the money you will have to, grease every bolt bak in. You also need to cover the aluminium parts of the mounts in a sealant, Hylomar or better as it takes up any slack in there.

If your stuck pm me.
Old 20 August 2014, 20:31   #5

As you are in bingley, I could assist
Old 20 August 2014, 22:03   #6

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Done a few of these now, can be a time consuming job, mounts are very pricey for what they are too. I borrow my mate's engine crane for the bigger engines I play with. Makes life so much easier, it's not just the weight, its seperating the powerhead gasket and powerhead from potentially siezed guide bolts too!
Old 20 August 2014, 22:20   #7

Guess I could hire an engine crane for the purpose, if I can find a flat surface to work on. Boat is stored at a caravan storage place on a rough hardcore surface generally.

Thing is, if I don't do it then the engine's a write off innit? It's not work paying someone else to do it on a 20 year old engine.
Old 21 August 2014, 18:02   #8

Those engines are fantastic. It would need some investigative work to begin with, to make sure it will split. I can assist if you want. I have a small unit in leeds and it sounds like a winter job. It depends on what you want to spend.
Old 21 August 2014, 18:03   #9

I am on a few days off next week and could be free next Friday. Have a think and we could meet up.
Old 21 August 2014, 19:55   #10

Some help and advice from an old hand would be awesome!

Unfortunately we're down in Caernarfon next weekend Fri thru Monday. Hoping to take the boat for a last trip out if the weather's kind. After that we have nothing planned so I can basically take my time with the engine. I want to do it for the spannering experience and also because its been such a great boat I want to see her and the engine live on. Haven't decided whether to sell her yet if the engine gets sorted or keep her.

I'll PM you my deets and it'd be great to meet up after we get back?