Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Whackywoody, my humble apologies

You posted the original and then disappeared to watch the X Factor (go on, admit it) so I filled in for you for a couple of hours, moved it along a bit!

Some very useful info from other forum members, as always.

Good thread and very timely.
Old 01 September 2013, 20:48   #22

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
another thing to bear in mind is warranty, and if you want to keep the warranty you may need to stay with a main dealership for servicing, even if in theory you can take it anywhere trying to find someone to take it on may not be so easy
Old 01 September 2013, 20:53   #23

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
another thing to bear in mind is warranty, and if you want to keep the warranty you may need to stay with a main dealership for servicing, even if in theory you can take it anywhere trying to find someone to take it on may not be so easy
Well hello Chris, your a bit late, have you been watching the X Factor too
Old 01 September 2013, 20:53   #24

RIBase
Quote:
Old 01 September 2013, 21:06   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
not a chance Kerny, rather stick me ead up an elephants bum than watch that crap, getting back to normal now I'm off the chemo
Old 01 September 2013, 21:12   #26

RIBase
Quote:
not a chance Kerny, rather stick me ead up an elephants bum than watch that crap, getting back to normal now I'm off the chemo
Good to see you back
Old 01 September 2013, 21:12   #27

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Midway boats supplied a Fletcher I had as a new boat 13 years ago, they are still going now. They have a proper workshop and a display 'shed', but I havent used them in years (too far away).
Old 01 September 2013, 21:14   #28

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:

The stuff that's on TV looks like its come from an elephants ass right load of poop
Old 01 September 2013, 21:25   #29

Town: Lancashire
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki 140
Original poster! Whackywoody - I'd go for a Suzuki 140 or bigger.

Hijacker ;-) barrowboy - osprey's are great boats. I'm happy with my Humber. It came to me as a very good second hand deal and I can't fault it. However, I've owned an XR18 and that was extremely robust and withstood my very sharp learning curve when new to ribbing! I've been told that the ocean pro and XR hulls are related. Anyone know about this?
Does anyone know if Osprey offer Suzuki's as a package? Would make a nice set up?
Old 01 September 2013, 21:28   #30

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj216 View Post
Does anyone know if Osprey offer Suzuki's as a package? Would make a nice set up?
I believe that they flyyyy with Etecs on
Old 01 September 2013, 23:07   #31

Town: North wales
Make: Europa Sport
Length: 3m +
Engine: Johnson 25
Mes only want to sell you new things. Not bothered about repairs/spares so much and they can keep you waiting all day.

Bill Highman = Where on planet earth does he randomly pick his prices from? £44 for a engine mount old stock or one delivered from usa £31

I know one person who buys/sells/strips engines locally so try and get parts from him sometimes.
Old 02 September 2013, 06:41   #32

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Hi

as Mercury and Mariner engines and all most all the same and the diagnostics work on both this should expand your choice a bit unless you care about the badge.

as for your local dealers . FYI there are 2 threads on wsf re this for the same area an I have spoken to 1 of them ( Ruth) and believe she in the right and the bill was too high.

re Scotland: This is Gods country with a lot less traffic than you have down there and have fitted quite engines for people who have drive up. So as long as you dont stay too long and are on your best behaviour then a few more of you are welcome.

Dave
Old 02 September 2013, 06:51   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
Hi

re Scotland: This is Gods country with a lot less traffic than you have down there and have fitted quite engines for people who have drive up. So as long as you dont stay too long and are on your best behaviour then a few more of you are welcome.

Dave
funnily enough, I was thinking same myself as I almost bought one from you recently, but to get good service etc its not that far, certainly worth a look
Old 02 September 2013, 07:48   #34

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Big +1 for Clyde Outboards from me. Bought a great engine from them last year & have good backup .
Going to send my 15hp gearbox up there soon for repair with a lot of confidence. Good quotes & easy to deal with.
Old 02 September 2013, 08:25   #35

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
well for such kind words I will do cost + 5 % on any mariner (including the mariner equivalent of the mercury), honda, Tohatsu or Opti if you mention ribnet and it is before the fishing megastore event that starts on the 27-29 of this month.

If you do come up to gods country you might want to get your engine put on on the friday or saturday and then have a play round Arran or Loch lomond before you go back. Oh and big browney points from us if you want us to go out with you to test your new engine!!!
Old 02 September 2013, 20:01   #36
GED

Town: CONWY/CORFU
Boat name: The Full Morty II
Make: Air Craft/Shakespere
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 300hp/Etec150hp
Wackywoody wrote
Quote:
I agree with you comments reference the dealers you have mentioned although I like the people in liverpool power boats they actually get a contractor in to do the mercury work and I have not been impressed with him.

I have also had one dealing with MES marine which I will be honest was not a good experience and was the worst of the lot!

Not had any dealings with any setups in North Wales and would be interested to know who they are, what brand they deal with and what their reputations are like!
I read this post last evening and was a bit confused, In all the many years of knowing Ian from LPB I have never known him to get a contractor to do any of his engine work......I rang him today and this is his reply which he has asked me to post...
Hi Ged,
It has been brought to LPB attention that a comment has been made on the Ribnet forum as to how we conduct our engineering department within the business.To put the matter straight LPB make the following comment...

We liverpool Power Boats DO NOT sub-contract work out. All work is carried out by LPB trained staff in house. At times when LPB is busy (which is the majority of months) and unable to take any more emergency jobs on we will pass on a referral to the customer of another engineering company who may be able to carry out the requested work. On most occasions LPB referral is Tony from Outboard andHydroplane Services who offer a mobile service. Upon looking into the comment made by "Wackywoodies" we LPB have never viewed or worked upon "Wackywoodies" engine. In conversation today with Tony from OHS he has informed LPB that he has viewed "Wackywoodies" engine and has placed his diagnostic software on his engine. When the software was connected to the engine it was rejected and the software informed that the more up to date software was required to carry out diagnostics on the engine. This in its self is a mystery as previously with engines of this age the software used was more than capable of the diagnostic work required therefore raising the question of whether there are more underlying issues?. The later software upgrade is the Verado which can be purchased for a number of thousands of pounds from Marine Power. LPB and OHS are not willing to invest in this software at present as there are few Verado in the North West area. "Wackywoodies" engine should in theory if it is true to as to where the engine has been purchased(i.e. from a dealer on a well known internet buying website) should be under warranty with the supplying dealer. Tony attended this engine and did not charge for his service. He has advised LPB that the engine is in a very sorry state with one of the main faults being that the starter motor was permanently engaged.
The above underlines LPB initial thoughts and feelings from the beginning when in conversation in store with "Wackywoody" as to why we did not wish to get involved with this engine!.
LPB hold all the diagnostic software for Evinrude E-Tec, Yamaha and Johnson four stroke engines. Mercury software can be obtained on loan from E.P.Barrus for the modern Verado engine that is within the manufacture's warranty period. When there is a issue with an engine which is outside of the supplied warranty period, E.P.Barrus are not obliged to loan software on very old second hand engines.
Ian Liverpool Power boats
Old 02 September 2013, 20:39   #37

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
And there was me deciding that a fly-by-wire Verado engine wasn't for me because my personal experience with electronic throttle controls on larger jet-driven craft is that a mechanical system offers more 'instant' throttle response.

It really hadn't occured to me that the dealership would be forced to invest 'thousands' in a software diagnostic tool before they could even perform a basic fault-finding service....

'Dear boater, come along to the Southampton Boat Show, invest your hard-earned in our latest all-singing, eco-friendly, petrol-sipping collection of precious metal representing the lightest and most impressive power-to-weight ratio we've ever manufactured then a couple of months down the road find out that our dealership network can't afford to buy the f3ck1n software required to support it!'

What utter boll*x
Old 02 September 2013, 20:51   #38

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Liverpool Powerboats supplied my Etec and rigged my boat. A faultless experience. Probably the most professional and friendly company that I have dealt with within the marine sector.
Old 02 September 2013, 21:20   #39

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
And there was me deciding that a fly-by-wire Verado engine wasn't for me because my personal experience with electronic throttle controls on larger jet-driven craft is that a mechanical system offers more 'instant' throttle response.

It really hadn't occured to me that the dealership would be forced to invest 'thousands' in a software diagnostic tool before they could even perform a basic fault-finding service....

'Dear boater, come along to the Southampton Boat Show, invest your hard-earned in our latest all-singing, eco-friendly, petrol-sipping collection of precious metal representing the lightest and most impressive power-to-weight ratio we've ever manufactured then a couple of months down the road find out that our dealership network can't afford to buy the f3ck1n software required to support it!'

What utter boll*x

Just for the record, the Etec software & engine updates are available to authorised dealers at no additional cost. Any engine updates are applied during routine servicing as part of the 3 year/300hr service.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 September 2013, 06:15   #40

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Engine: Yamaha F150
GED or Ged,

I have been a frequent LPB customer for the last year and Ian and his family have been very helpful and friendly. My comment was not a criticism directed at them or their business and I have never had my engine serviced or diagnosed by LPB.

Yes, I have had my fair share of engine problems recently and the objective of starting the thread was to seek dealers that are recommended by other forum members in the north west.

Maybe the engine manufacturers are to blame as they are not providing enough support to the dealers/repairers by not providing the necessary training or diagnostic equipment or the diagnostic equipment is not economically viable?