Old 23 September 2002, 22:25   #1

Town: Southampton
Make: Camel
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Bulk 2 stroke Optimax oil

Hi,

I can't keep off the water and my Optimax is clocking up a lot of hours, which means I am buying a lot of 2stroke. The engines consumption is about right but I'd really like to buy some in Bulk

20 gallons drum or somethig like that so does anybody know where you can buy Optimax 2 stroke in Bulk.

cheers
Old 23 September 2002, 22:43   #2

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
What are you paying at the moment?

Retial is about £16 for 5li isn't it - i pay about £60 for 25li (5 x 5li)

Daniel
Old 24 September 2002, 07:03   #3
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
Also ficht ram oil

If I could do the same with Ficht Ram oil, If anyone knows where to get it in bulk. I pay 34€ (£22) for 4L. aaaaaahhhhhh. But luckly the engines dont realy like the stuff. 4L lasts about 350L of petrol, and thats is with twins.
Old 25 September 2002, 21:05   #4

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Viking what you need is a nice honda 130 4 stroke. You know like the camel boats, shame they burn as much petrol as my old Mariner V6 2 stroke though, Pete
Old 26 September 2002, 06:28   #5

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Pete

If your Honda is burning that much fuel it has a problem.

Mine is very good on fuel - and we tend to cruise at 30 knots or so when we can - with lots of higher speed bursts and such.

The engine has so far proved to be reliable, (touch wood), powerful and I have no complaints whatsoever about fuel economy.
Old 26 September 2002, 12:07   #6

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.55
On the oil front I went down to a local oil company when I lived in Liverpool and gave them the spec. from the man. and they made it up for me the min. they would supply was 25L and it only cost £18.00 (it was 1986 though)

John
Old 26 September 2002, 17:44   #7

Graeme, although it was a bit of a rough and ready test comparing my 6.5 ribtec + 150 v6 + 4 divers with the 6.5 Camel + honda 130 and solo, I was horrified to find the honda did 45 lph at speed (33 knots). I burn about 40 - 45 lph for the same speed. Both boats being fitted with fuel flow gauges. If I can tie up with Wavehumper we might do a side by side comparison. Not quite straight forward though as we would need to weigh both boats as a level starting point. They have an Optimax which is what I would really like to have a play with though, hint Stuart, please.

I agree with you though the engine was very quiet and great to use.
Old 26 September 2002, 21:24   #8

Hi It's Stuart here , Britt has pinched my IP again.

I love this Forum where else in the world can you start an enquiry for some cheap oil and wind up being tapped up for your best engine.

Pete, of course , you are more than welcome to use our Opti if you want to. I might even know where to get hold of an engine cane. I must admit I am highly impressed with it, it makes a very potent combination with the little Scorpion Hul.

Moving on to my Honda, which I trust as an engine, the fuel consumption really hacks me off, but I think that is more the fault of the Boat and not the engine. I wish I'd bought the type of Camel that Scubakid has but I didn't get in quick enough.

Graeme, the Camel is a highly specced boat, i.e. extra matting and syrup to strengthen the Hull for the Pacific. 500 litres of in deck fuel tanks and the climbing Frame all help to make this a very heavy boat. Considerably lighter than your Avon ( I am a big fan of Avon's by the way) hence the difference in consumption maybe?

The event was sponsored by Honda which meant that they supplied the engine, The largest they made at the time was a 130 so that's what the boats got, They in fact need considerably more power to handle the weight of the boat.

The Honda 130 engine is basically an Accord engine which has been Marinised so whilst it is very well made and reliable it is also heavy. So this doesn't help either.

From talking to other Camel owners the consumption seems to be about normal.

the good news is that Pete7 made a modification to the Camel last week which has considerably reduced the fuel consumption

Cheers
Stuart

l
Old 27 September 2002, 06:43   #9

Glad you like the mods, for those not there I snapped his gear shift cables coming along side at Gunwharf Quays, then cut his power trim cables with a knife and finally found the hull flooding. So must have saved him a fortune in fuel this week as he couldn't use it.

But then what are friends for ?
Old 27 September 2002, 20:14   #10

And that's just cos I spilt his drink!