Old 14 September 2003, 08:54   #1

Town: Sydney
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4.2
Best Outboard motor in 40HP long shaft?

Im looking for a new outboard 40HP and am wondering if there is a general consensus on the best 40hp outboard on the market, which brand?
most likely two stroke

thanks
Old 14 September 2003, 14:42   #2
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
Most modern outboards now are all much the same with regard to reliability etc. Personal preference would be either Mercury/Mariner or Yamaha. The 3 cylinder 40 is the better to get over the 2 cylinder Merc/Mariner. Also four strokes are good. They will help to push more weight at lower revs due to the increased tourque and power in the lower rev range which a 2 stroke doesn't have (something to consider if you carry divers around).

Hope this helps
Old 14 September 2003, 19:00   #3

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
40hp yammie - brilliant bit of kit. We sold our mariner 40 EL ( a yammie at this vintage) on one of our fishing boats. been on three different new boats and never missed a beat for at least 17 years Ireland, Scotland west and east coasts, wales south coast and of course the Irish sea - you name it it had been there summer and winter diving and fishing- taught afew people water ski-ing behind it. Still on original impeller, propeller, etc ( I did change the spark plugs once or perhaps twice - but you do have to splash out now and then don't you )
Now come to think of it it did miss a few beats once when the suction pipe in the fuel tank fell off! Dropped into bottom of tank under 20l of 2 stroke. Made a new pipe at sea out of some plastic piping from the cabin and shoved it onto the mounting inside the tank and carried on with the trip. The tank and the fuel line were the only bits that weren't yamaha - they were mercury bits that made it a mariner.
Old 14 September 2003, 20:45   #4

Town: Port Logan
Boat name: Red Fox
Make: Zodiac Pro 500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
MMSI: 232004329
Get a Suzuki 40hp four stroke and you wont regret it. I had a 2 stroke Mariner 30 prior to it and the difference is really good. It is quiet and the kick at take off is ...wow! It shifts my boat at the rate I want anyway! Top engine, fuel injected three cylinder with all the latest emission requirements. You won't look back...well you will...just to see how far you have gone in such a short time!
OK you guys with your 150's will laugh at me getting excited at my little one...but you have to start somewhere. I think it is a cracker.
I have just noticed your boat is the same as mine so even more reason to get a Suzuki...tell you what...when you get one I'll meet you half way...the equator!
Old 15 September 2003, 07:37   #5

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Seahorse V
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4
Engine: Mercury 50HP
Whatever you do, don't go for a Tohatsu. Two of my friends have just traded them in and had nothing but problems with them. One of them was only 2 years old and had done approximately 70 hours and had been in the workshop more than it had been on the water.