Old 23 July 2021, 19:57   #1

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Best fuel tesco/bp. Fuel filter

Just on my way out to pick up the first fuel for the new suzuki Ob .
Any preference for fuel from tesco or BP which are both local to me. Cost of fuel for my 4 stroke 20hp usage isn't an issue. Just wondered if i should get some of the premium type stuff or just normal unleaded.

Also I know pd uses an external water/fuel filter and suzuki do advise to use one. But how much people do?

And also wondering about additives over summer months or is that mainly for longer storage.

Plan to use older fuel in the mower rather than my new ob
Old 23 July 2021, 20:22   #2

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
I have taken advice from a scientist from the coryton refinery not to ever use Tesco fuel and stick to the major suppliers such as Shell or BP
Old 23 July 2021, 20:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Pig View Post
I have taken advice from a scientist from the coryton refinery not to ever use Tesco fuel and stick to the major suppliers such as Shell or BP
Is that just normal bp unleaded or whatever their premium is?
Old 23 July 2021, 21:07   #4

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
I would steer clear of all Tesco fuel
It’s my understanding the upgrade fuel is more for performance engines also reduceing soot output
Old 24 July 2021, 09:44   #5

Length: 3m +
There is no scientific answer. A scientific answer would take two identical setups. Use them in identical ways with the two fuels. And compare.

There is a lot of "theory" with people who make claims either way.

Camp Big Fuel - we supply the quality, we flush out our tankers, we clean the forecourt tanks with the same things HM The Queen uses to wash her Corgis. We add scientifically tested additives (which are often shown to add marginal benefits to car fuel consumption of <1m / gallon)

Camp Supermarket - see that giant storage container at the refinery. See the Big Oil company filling up from it. Then see our truck filling up from the same tank. Why are you paying 8p a litre more for the same stuff? Yeah they add additives. So do we. We just copied theirs but haven't bothered to prove that you can get 0.1mi further on it. Yeah they clean their tanks twice a year and we do ours once a year. Unless you fill up the following day do you think it matters...

Where a difference may be apparent is after some point this summer standard fuel has a higher Ethanol content permitted. There are two concerns with higher Ethanol - some components may not be tested for it. (I need to be convinced that's not spin... If it withstands petrol...) But more legitimate may be that ethanol is able to absorb water and then as the ethanol evaporates it leaves the water. The premium 'BP SuperUltraExtreme' is not increasing ethanol.

I know people who point blank refuse to put supermarket fuel in their car. Yet mine hasn't died yet running on whatever I see first
Old 24 July 2021, 10:09   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Be super is ethanol free as I understand it
Old 24 July 2021, 16:26   #7

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I know people who point blank refuse to put supermarket fuel in their car. Yet mine hasn't died yet running on whatever I see first
Yup..you saved me a lot of typing ShinyShoe.

I buy gallons of petrol for the journeys I do with my thirsty two stroke. I use nothing but Tesco or Morrisons stuff as its cheapest and never had a single fuel issue. I dont add snake oils to it either but I do use it when its bought as I cant keep it long...same as my money .. it burns a hole in my pocket if I try

I do recall asking my local Yamaha dealer what he recommended for my 6HP fourstroke when I bought it new. His reply was..its the exact same outboard we sell around the world..and some third world countries run them on parrifin and petrol mix or anything else that works.. so Tesco stuff will be fine for it

I guess Its like some folks drill their transoms and some don’t no matter what you say .. so its whatever make makes you happy and confident your OB works ..that is what really matters most
Old 24 July 2021, 17:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Pig View Post
I think there is a bit of stigma to the supermarket fuels. But as the Coryton refinery hasn't existed for a decade, the scientist may have been confused. Or a Scientologist?

The short story is that all the vendors just buy the exact same fuel from the exact same refineries. It is manufactured by the refineries to precise legally defined standards. What some vendors then do is add additives to help with marketing and selling at a premium. The interesting thing about these additives is that the vendors make only vague claims as to their purpose/benefit so as to avoid having to prove anything.

The real differentiators tend to be how long the fuel then sits in a forecourt tank or how much junk is in the tank etc. A bit like lazy landlords messing up beer that was perfectly good when it was delivered. . But it would have to be a quite exceptionally bad fuel station for that.

I believe it is only the high octane fuels that are produced separately and to specific criteria. Everything else is generic.

So unless you're buying something like Optimax then it is all the same fuel from the same refineries.

One can only wonder why a myth perpetrates that supermarket fuel is somehow different but then you have to think what else the companies who sell the same fuel at a higher price might be doing PR wise other than just adding magical 'additives'

For OB fuel the basic rule is to try and swerve ethanol. Not such much because it is hydroscopic but because it is corrosive. But even then the most damage will be done if you leave the fuel sitting in the engine when not in use which is against best practice.

At the same time, if using a portable tank we have air vents on them that should be closed when not in use and that will keep the fuel fresh for a very long time.

Most people will run their engine dry and close their tank when not using their boat and this alone prevents almost all issues.

The one little thing that I suspect many don't do is to dispose of the petrol in the line. I wouldn't really want e10 sitting in there for 6 months.

Ultimately just use optimax or any fuel without ethanol but I wouldn't get overly concerned if you have to resort to an E10 fuel and I certainly wouldn't give a jot re brands as they all sell the exact same fuel from the same refineries.

But do remember that every time you buy a litre of E10 fuel, someone, somewhere is being denied a G&T.
Old 24 July 2021, 20:25   #9

Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp
https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels-faqs
Old 24 July 2021, 20:52   #10

"Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97 and Synergy Supreme+ 99 ) is ethanol free (Except in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland"

So what s the bloody point? Why not all the country or non.

A bit like the bloody covid rules
Old 24 July 2021, 21:07   #11

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskylee View Post
Interesting, there's no E0 designation so if it's ethanol-free its still labelled E5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EssoFuels.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	138250  
Old 25 July 2021, 08:16   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
"Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97 and Synergy Supreme+ 99 ) is ethanol free (Except in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland"

So what s the bloody point? Why not all the country or non.

A bit like the bloody covid rules
I guess it's because the various regions are serviced by different refineries and the refinery that services all the tankers and stations in the South East is the one making fuel without ethanol.

The fuel companies don't really have any say in what the fuel is. They just rent tankers to collect it from the closest and cheapest refinery for their shops.

Fuel branding like milk branding and other branding on generic, centralised and blended products is all about making the same things different and super on trend to engage with target consumers who will willingly pay a premium for packaging.

What's interesting in their FAQs is the explanation that E5 also covers zero ethanol so in reality when buying 97 or 99 E5 from anyone you don't actually know if there is any ethanol content at all and maybe in SE and central England there often isn't any in the fuels. It's not like ethanol production is a hugely stable enterprise so maybe there are periods when they drop its use as its price is too high? Over the last twelve months ethanol has gone from £1.25 to £2.50 a US gallon.

Personally, I'm not sure how long the whole ethanol thing will last as Brazil is the major producer and there is absolutely no chance that they aren't destroying the rain forest to produce the cash crops required. Plus, the whole aspect that you're destroying food crops etc really does suggest there will be a monumental and deserved backlash to bio fuels.

If people really are concerned about E10 or can't get a zero ethanol fuel at their local pumps then garden machinery shops are all starting to sell ethanol free petrol buy ever larger drums. My local will now deliver a 50L drum, however, few household insurance policies permit anywhere near that amount to be stored at home.

Personally, my plan is to drain all the garden kit at the end of the season and run them dry and to also pour all the remaining garden fuel and outboard fuels into the old Range Rover which will use it. I'll then keep a gallon of ethanol free fuel just for the inevitable random need

I don't think it's worth keeping any petrol over winter or leaving E5 or 10 sitting in kit as this is where most of the issues are going to arise. It also means we guarantee to start the season with no water anywhere.

I'm not too concerned about using E5 or 10 during the season from a water standpoint as the tanks are sealed and the fuel is also being consumed regularly but I do think it'll be prudent to replace the fuel lines of older outboards just to be on the safe side. It costs peanuts and is an easy job so it strikes me as madness not to?
Old 25 July 2021, 16:11   #13

Esso Synergy+ Super Unleaded is ethanol free in most parts of the country so that’s technically the best especially if you’re leaving it in the system for long periods
Old 25 July 2021, 18:31   #14

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim0n0 View Post
Esso Synergy+ Super Unleaded is ethanol free in most parts of the country so that’s technically the best especially if you’re leaving it in the system for long periods
I always knew that "Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland" where insignificant parts of the country as apparently Esso Synergy + Super Unleaded is ethanol free in "MOST" parts of the country!!!!!!!
Old 25 July 2021, 18:33   #15

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Forgot to say "welcome to the forum" Sim0n0
Old 25 July 2021, 20:03   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I always knew that "Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland" where insignificant parts of the country as apparently Esso Synergy + Super Unleaded is ethanol free in "MOST" parts of the country!!!!!!!
Maybe it's just because people in those regions really, really like ethanol?
Old 25 July 2021, 22:07   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
"Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland"
Is there any other parts to the country worth talking about?

Cheers guys for all the opinions anyway.
Been using supermarket stuff for years too in cars and mowers, chainsaws etc and never an issue! Although some mates who are driving instructors won't use anything but esso....
Ended up with just the normal unleaded from BP this time and will make sure everything drained for winter anyway.
Old 26 July 2021, 07:52   #18

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
Maybe it's just because people in those regions really, really like ethanol?

I know a few Poteen drinkers around Limerick who swear by a tipple ....only for special occasions of course!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 20:09   #19

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
I had problems with my previous outboard- a Mariner 30 efi.
Gradual reduction in power,and reluctance to increase revs under load. The dealer cleaned through the fuel system, and suggested it might be caused by ethanol in fuel. He suggested I tried running it on Super unleaded, which was less prone to degradation. The comments above about Esso super unleaded are similar to what I learned. I became more conscious of running an injected engine on stale fuel, and used Esso from time to time, and never had further problems. Whether it’s based on science I can’t say, but it resolved the issue. I always run my engine dry after use, too, to minimise the risk.
Old 26 July 2021, 23:22   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old seahorse View Post
I always run my engine dry after use, too, to minimise the risk.
Do you just unplug the pipe from the petrol can and just let it run until engine dies?
In the ob manual it says to drain fuel from engine by draining out through a pipe etc before transporting in car. Nobody here seems to bother but by running dry I'm guessing there would be very little in the ob?