Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Auxilliary engine on Ribcraft 4.8m

Still waiting delivery of my new Ribcraft 4.8m. Anyone fitted an auxilliary engine on this particular boat? Main engine is a 2-stroke Tohatsu 60hp. Currently looking at either a Yamaha longshaft 4-stroke 4hp, (F4AMHL) or a relatively rare 2-stroke 5hp (5CSL), both mint condition and weigh roughly the same at 22kg. I do have reservations about fitting an auxilliary, as it never works out the way you want it, but having it is reassuring. Can it be mounted directly on the transom, or does it need to go on a transom bracket? (Definately not fitting an adjustable stainless steel Plastimo one again - used to rattle like a bleed'n toolbox!)
Old 04 August 2010, 00:11   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
A friend of mine used a Twatsoo 3.5hp aux on his RC4.8. He's sold the boat now and would sell the outboard if you're interested. It's a 2005 model, grey colour, std shaft and immaculate. Probably no more than an hour's use from new.
Old 04 August 2010, 08:48   #3

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
A friend of mine used a Twatsoo 3.5hp aux on his RC4.8. He's sold the boat now and would sell the outboard if you're interested. It's a 2005 model, grey colour, std shaft and immaculate. Probably no more than an hour's use from new.
Would I get away with a Twatsoo 3.5hp? I had one on the Zodiac Pro 7-man. It was 2008, zero hours and purchased from new. Sold it as part of the boat package as I thought it would be underpowered for the Ribcraft.
Old 04 August 2010, 09:32   #4

He was happy with it. It'll be slow, but would get you out of trouble/back to shore (eventually).
Old 04 August 2010, 09:35   #5

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
He was happy with it. It'll be slow, but would get you out of trouble/back to shore (eventually).
Would it get him away from the shore though.....
Old 04 August 2010, 10:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Would it get him away from the shore though.....
.....eventually
Old 04 August 2010, 10:52   #7

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
As I used to say with my aux ... quicker than either rowing or swimming

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2010, 08:15   #8

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Aux engine

I guess every 1/2 hp will count at that level. Neither engine will get the boat past the displacement speed of course, so you'll probably get about 5mph from the Yamaha, less from the Tohatsu.
I might buy that engine if you don't want it....how much is it? I could do with a lightweight trolling engine for the canal.
Old 06 August 2010, 09:13   #9

He's looking for £300
Old 09 May 2011, 08:02   #10

RIBase
I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm now at the stage that I have to source an auxilliary before heading to the west coast in mid July. With the main engine (Twatsoo 60hp) now in position, there is just enough space at the starboard side for a small 2-stroke engine, up to 4hp. From a quick measure of the transom at this point, a standard shaft would fit (say 19" depth from outboard saddle/bracket to top of anti-cavitation plate), although a long-shaft might prove to be more reliable given the extra depth. Any preference for which shaft length you would go for? Any pictures in position would be helpful too.
Old 09 May 2011, 12:36   #11
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm now at the stage that I have to source an auxilliary before heading to the west coast in mid July. With the main engine (Twatsoo 60hp) now in position, there is just enough space at the starboard side for a small 2-stroke engine, up to 4hp. From a quick measure of the transom at this point, a standard shaft would fit (say 19" depth from outboard saddle/bracket to top of anti-cavitation plate), although a long-shaft might prove to be more reliable given the extra depth. Any preference for which shaft length you would go for? Any pictures in position would be helpful too.
There's a Mercury 3.3 (same engine as the 3.5 Twatsoo) on ebay at the moment in Wooton Bassett for 150 quid with a broken prop. Don't be tempted-I went to see it yesterday and it's horrendously corroded under the hood. I'll give the guy his due-it's cheap and runs OK-but I wouldn't rely on it-it looks like cooling water is seeping out at the head gasket face.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2011, 17:11   #12

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
There's a Mercury 3.3 (same engine as the 3.5 Twatsoo) on ebay at the moment in Wooton Bassett for 150 quid with a broken prop. Don't be tempted-I went to see it yesterday and it's horrendously corroded under the hood. I'll give the guy his due-it's cheap and runs OK-but I wouldn't rely on it-it looks like cooling water is seeping out at the head gasket face.
Thanks for the heads up on that one. There was a mint Yammie Malta that finished on Ebay last night. Most owners don't want the added hassle of shipping which narrows down my options. Worst-case scenraio I simply don't have one for the trip, although I'll continue to look.
Old 11 May 2011, 23:18   #13

Town: Port Logan
Boat name: Red Fox
Make: Zodiac Pro 500
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
MMSI: 232004329
New boat, new engine get a radio and the CG will send someone should you need them but with new reliable kit, I wouldn't fret too much...yes there is always the chance but it is one you take. But if you have cash to burn then ask rib craft what they would suggest about size and fitment.
Old 12 May 2011, 10:12   #14

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
The other one that seems to pop up with monotonous regularity is the old OMC twin pot 4 HP. They are a bit oldschool in their design, but that does mean they pop up ten a penny. Also if one pot dies, it will still go!

It's lightweight (13 KG) and relatively narrow for a 4, so more likely to be able to fit it.

Main down side is no "keep it up" catch, so you need to be creative with a bit of bungee & a block of wood.
Old 12 May 2011, 16:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
The other one that seems to pop up with monotonous regularity is the old OMC twin pot 4 HP.
Yes, got one of those in the garage too: £175 anyone?
Old 12 May 2011, 19:35   #16

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
I have a similar sized rib as you, ie a Tornado 5mtr and for many years I didn't have an aux OB. However last year I bought a longshaft Yam Malta ( think its about 4hp) in mint condition from a mate. Its absolutely perfect on my RIB, it sits alongside the main 60hp 2s OB on the transom and when tilted up doesnt catch the water or foul any of the fuel or control lines etc. It runs really well and perhaps the only downside is that with its built in fuel tank doesn't have a facility to connect it to a remote tank but it does seem to go for ages on its small tank.

I think you will almost certainly need a longshaft if its mounted alongside the main.

The technique I use when I use it, which I try and do on every trip, is to fix the steering straight ahead and steer with the main OB from the consul. It seems to be fast enough and in slack water is about 5 kts or mph, can't remember which! As somebody said its better than paddling!

The yam seems fine and while it looks mint just changed out the impeller, gearbox oil and plug when I first got it. I don't think a 4s would have fitted directly on the transom and allowed the main OB to turn fully.

It is a nice little bit of safety kit and makes me feel better when I take the boat offshore.

Davej
Old 14 May 2011, 17:00   #17

Town: Devon
Make: Ribcraft 5.3
Engine: 90
I have a Ribcraft 5.3 with Suzuki 90 4stroke main and use a Tohatsu 4hp 2stroke L/S as auxillary. That auxillary engine when I bought it only had internal tank option but I have converted it to also use an external tank using readily available tubing, T-connecters and the connecter for the external tank.
Old 15 May 2011, 09:51   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
If your still looking...
Storrar Marine in Newcastle have a NEW 2 stroke Mercury Longshaft 3.5hp instock, must be about the last in the country I think.
I dont know the price - if your interested make them an offer.
Being the 2 stroke its narrow - good thing for an aux I think.
I have a Tohatsu 3.5 aux, not fitted it yet... project for this summer I think.
Old 15 May 2011, 11:09   #19

Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
I know its a different boat but I have a Mariner 5hp on my Valiant DR750. FWIW I would go for the longer shaft as the boat will be floundering a bit in any chop and the last thing you want is that the prop continually lifts out of the 'oggin. You'll have more drag yes but that will be minimal at the slow speeds you will be doing.

Do make sure that the whole thing clears the water when its lifted. Mine does - just!
Old 15 May 2011, 20:21   #20

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustRib View Post
If your still looking...
Storrar Marine in Newcastle have a NEW 2 stroke Mercury Longshaft 3.5hp instock, must be about the last in the country I think.
I dont know the price - if your interested make them an offer.
Being the 2 stroke its narrow - good thing for an aux I think.
I have a Tohatsu 3.5 aux, not fitted it yet... project for this summer I think.
Thanks for that, but it will have to be second-hand I'm afraid. I had a new Tohatsu 3.5hp long-shaft auxilliary but sold it with the last boat... doh!