Click Here to Login

Old 29 October 2010, 23:31   #1

Town: Dublin, Ireland
Boat name: Voodoo1
Make: Piranha
Length: 5m +
Engine: new Suzuki DF90
Auxiliary-securing while on the move?!

Hi guys, fitting a bracket to the boat for a Honda 5hp auxiliary and I'm curious.. While under way on the water what's the best way of keeping the engine secure.. Obviously it has to be tilted out of the water, but I'm thinking that with the shock and stress on the aux from bouncing around, it could either get damaged or I could lose it! Can you secure the engine to stop it 'swinging' or whats the best idea??
Cheers
Mark
Old 30 October 2010, 00:04   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
I never had a problem with my Johnson 6hp on the Humber - just mounted on the transom and sat in the normal tilt position. I used to have the friction on the tiller at maximum because I used it in the straight ahead position and steered with the main engine. It didn't seem to move at all.

I'm not so sure about the new aux (Merc Sailmate 4hp) as the tilt lock on that looks less substantial so may have to invent a new idea but I haven't come up with it yet! Some people seem to use a bungee cord to hold it against the tilt stop, might look at that.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2010, 07:07   #3

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
On my last rib I had an yamaha 4 aux and it used to bounce around. I found be getting a webbing strap I could strap the leg to the bracket, this was the most efective solution I came up with.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2010, 08:29   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
On my last rib I had an yamaha 4 aux and it used to bounce around. I found be getting a webbing strap I could strap the leg to the bracket, this was the most efective solution I came up with.
Agree with that. I used to have a Tohatsu 3.5hp auxilliary on a Zodiac Pro. I used a webbing strap ratchet tied to the back of the bench seat on a stainless-steel U-bolt to the engine. I also used a block of wood under the tilt pin and it was solid as a rock.
Old 30 October 2010, 16:08   #5

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Agree with that. I used to have a Tohatsu 3.5hp auxilliary on a Zodiac Pro. I used a webbing strap ratchet tied to the back of the bench seat on a stainless-steel U-bolt to the engine. I also used a block of wood under the tilt pin and it was solid as a rock.
Yep. Block of wood to hold the engine up and a lashing round the A frame and motor cowling keeps my Johnson 3.5 tight and secure.
Old 30 October 2010, 17:28   #6

Town: Dublin, Ireland
Boat name: Voodoo1
Make: Piranha
Engine: new Suzuki DF90
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
Yep. Block of wood to hold the engine up and a lashing round the A frame and motor cowling keeps my Johnson 3.5 tight and secure.
When you say a block of wood, do you mean just a short length across theengine bracket and let it down on top or put a length lenghtways from where the tilt lever is out towards the prop?! I guess a piece of 4x4 or something like that?!
Old 30 October 2010, 20:57   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by piranha580 View Post
When you say a block of wood, do you mean just a short length across theengine bracket and let it down on top or put a length lenghtways from where the tilt lever is out towards the prop?! I guess a piece of 4x4 or something like that?!
A short length from the engine bracket to the mid-section. It doesn't really matter how you do it. The tensioning strap is more important, as it's the vibration that's the problem. The tilt-pin is next to useless on the Tohatsu, and would have sheared if I hadn't supported properly.
Old 30 October 2010, 21:57   #8

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
A short length from the engine bracket to the mid-section. It doesn't really matter how you do it. The tensioning strap is more important, as it's the vibration that's the problem. The tilt-pin is next to useless on the Tohatsu, and would have sheared if I hadn't supported properly.
Where are you tensioning it to? Are you pulling it up, or pulling it down against the block of wood (which would seem logical but can't see how you could do that to a bench seat inside the boat?)

I have a Merc 4hp which is a Twatsoo in drag and I came to the same conclusion about the tilt support - it bends when you push on the motor so won't hack life bouncing along as an aux.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2010, 09:02   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Where are you tensioning it to? Are you pulling it up, or pulling it down against the block of wood (which would seem logical but can't see how you could do that to a bench seat inside the boat?)

I have a Merc 4hp which is a Twatsoo in drag and I came to the same conclusion about the tilt support - it bends when you push on the motor so won't hack life bouncing along as an aux.
I used a small block of wood under the outboard head, which rested on the lip to the mid section. This was tied on with a small strap. There was a second webbing ratchet strap connected to the engine grab handle to the stainless steel u-bolt on the back of the bench seat (pictured). The outboard was in the tilted up position. Under tension it didn't rattle or move. Worked for me. Now I've bought a RIBcraft, I've more space so it will be off the transom completely. Either secured behind the jockey seat, or if I leave it on the transom it will tilted up and tensioned to a u-bolt on the deck. Currently looking for a 2-stroke 4hp Yammie as I sold the Twatsoo with the Zodiac.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2006.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	55253  
Old 01 November 2010, 10:22   #10

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
My old 70's Johnson 2Hp on the SR used friction to stay up, so as you can imagine it donlt stay there very long!

I shaped a bit of wood so it would wedge in between clamp & leg, then used bungee round the leg (complete circuit thereof) to hiold it in place. Then had another longer loop of thick bungee that hooked over a features on the leg (cooling fin?) & was fixed to the clamp . To drop the engine, I unhooled the "hold down" bungee. lifted slightly, swivelled the block of wood round out the way &dropped. The "clamp" bungee was of a suitable length that it went nowhere near the prop when slack.

I think I have just proved a pictrure speaks 1000 words......