Click Here to Login

Old 06 June 2019, 16:13   #1

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Autolube 2 Strokes Alarm Sounding constantly

Hopefully this post will help some and ensure they have a better morning than I have had today.

So I went to go out in my Rib powered by a 60hp Mariner 2 stroke ELPTO. These are the ones with the Autolube tank for the 2 stroke oil.

On turning the key the alarm buzzer went to a solid tone and would not stop, even after the engine was started and was cold.

The engine was pumping water and there was plenty of 2 stroke oil in the tank.

The alarm should sound...… Solid Tone Overheat alarm

Intermittent tone --------- Low 2 stroke oil

After much investigation and head scratching I disconnected the 2 stroke level sensor and the alarm stopped

This sensor is poorly designed as it is below the tank and operates on proximity of a magnet on the float inside the tank. As the oil lowers the magnet (circular washer) at the bottom of the float (shaped like a donut) nears the bottom of the tank and the sensor detects the magnet and sets off the alarm.

The issue is that these small magnets are glued to the bottom of the float and you guessed it they fall off over time and sit at the bottom of the tank which setts off the alarm no matter how high the oil is with floating donut.

You are then faced with a new oil tank (£190 + vat) or simply disconnecting the sensor.

My view is I never go out without checking the level of the 2 stroke oil and the 60 hp Elpto has a sight glass.

Why it was a continuous tone I don't know but I suspect it was because the magnet was as low as it could get and the sensor was going crazy.

Looking at the design of the tank there is in my view no way to repair it.

I Hope this post helps someone

Happy Boating

Dennis
Old 06 June 2019, 17:02   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Continuous v's intermittent alarms - I've found over the years subtle differences in spec (like which year it was built or whether it has a particular other feature) mean they will/won't have such specific diagnostic alarms. If you are convinced it definitely has the modulator then something worth investigating to make sure you haven't disabled any other alarms at the same time.

Over £200 sounds crazy money for a replacement. If you definitely can't get to the part to glue it back together could you fit a different sensor? They simply work by closing a switch to ground the wire enabling current to flow in the alarm circuit. e.g. you can get tank level switches that are on the filler cap if it has a vertical drop.
Old 06 June 2019, 17:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Continuous v's intermittent alarms - I've found over the years subtle differences in spec (like which year it was built or whether it has a particular other feature) mean they will/won't have such specific diagnostic alarms. If you are convinced it definitely has the modulator then something worth investigating to make sure you haven't disabled any other alarms at the same time.

Over £200 sounds crazy money for a replacement. If you definitely can't get to the part to glue it back together could you fit a different sensor? They simply work by closing a switch to ground the wire enabling current to flow in the alarm circuit. e.g. you can get tank level switches that are on the filler cap if it has a vertical drop.
The issue is that the tank is a very strange shape and from the filler you cant even see the bottom. I am very sure that the only alarms that engine has (1997) is overheat and Oil level. I know it is the oil level I have disconnected and I am so particular about the oil level (Check it at every outing) that it will not be a problem.
Old 06 June 2019, 17:33   #4

This is the shape of the tank... No way I will get in there to mend it. Look how the neck is cranked over. The magnet detaching is a bit of a known issue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	129670  
Old 06 June 2019, 22:08   #5

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
I had issues with the oil alarm which would go off when I trimmed the engine anything but fully in even though the reservoir was full. I ended up disconnecting both the alarm and oil and mixed the oil with the fuel in the main tank.
Old 06 June 2019, 22:16   #6

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Length: no boat
Check it’s not a failed oil warning module
Old 07 June 2019, 05:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotwillie View Post
Check it’s not a failed oil warning module
I don't think I have anything as posh as that on my old 2 Stroke. As I said I know what is was as described in the first post
Old 07 June 2019, 06:53   #8

Mine’s a ‘93, albeit a 100hp, so definitely not posh my end either. I had similar alarm, it’s another common issue. Just suggesting.
Old 07 June 2019, 07:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotwillie View Post
Mine’s a ‘93, albeit a 100hp, so definitely not posh my end either. I had similar alarm, it’s another common issue. Just suggesting.
Are we talking about the same thing. Either Item 11 in the diagramme I posted above or the magnet in the tank ittself
Old 07 June 2019, 15:06   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
Are we talking about the same thing. Either Item 11 in the diagramme I posted above or the magnet in the tank ittself
I think pilotwillie is suggesting that since the alarm was sounding continuously it may not be a fault with the "sensor" but rather with the module the sensor feeds into which makes the _____ signal from the switch sound like _-_-_-_
i.e. have you actually confirmed that the magnet and float have parted company?
Old 07 June 2019, 16:28   #11

Quote:
I think pilotwillie is suggesting that since the alarm was sounding continuously it may not be a fault with the "sensor" but rather with the module the sensor feeds into which makes the _____ signal from the switch sound like _-_-_-_

Only real way to confirm that is to destroy £200 worth of tank and I am not doing that.

I am quite happy with what I have done I was simply trying to alert others to the issue. It is quite well documented on the net in various places.
Old 07 June 2019, 16:40   #12

Quote:

[emoji1303]