Old 16 September 2004, 16:50   #1

Town: Philomath, Oregon
Boat name: Hurrican Hagar
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: None
Assistance needed

I recently purchased a 23 foot, 1988 Zodiac Hurricane. At one time it had a Volvo Penta diesel engine in it, but it was removed before I bought it. Next year I want to repower the boat, but trying to figure out what is best. I heard of people patching the transom and mounting a transom bracket on the transom and using outboards. Obviously I would have to reinforce the transom somehow to counter the extra weight hanging off it. Anyone with any experience or suggestions about this, I would appreciate help. My other option is to put a I/O back in it. Would something like a Mercruiser be a waste of time and money? Websites, links or suggestions. I can use all the help I can get. I need to put in a new fuel tank and instruments, etc also. Thanks
Old 16 September 2004, 18:21   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazatlanRay
I recently purchased a 23 foot, 1988 Zodiac Hurricane. At one time it had a Volvo Penta diesel engine in it, but it was removed before I bought it. Next year I want to repower the boat, but trying to figure out what is best. I heard of people patching the transom and mounting a transom bracket on the transom and using outboards. Obviously I would have to reinforce the transom somehow to counter the extra weight hanging off it. Anyone with any experience or suggestions about this, I would appreciate help. My other option is to put a I/O back in it. Would something like a Mercruiser be a waste of time and money? Websites, links or suggestions. I can use all the help I can get. I need to put in a new fuel tank and instruments, etc also. Thanks
I really don't see the point of going to all that extra work just to put outboards on! Outboards of similar HP seem no cheaper than I/O engines!

With the price of petrol in the US I also don't really see the point of going the diesel route - look on Ebay or similar and there should be loads of good mercruiser deals.