RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
approved manufacturers servicing

Hi guys,

I have a 2005 RC585 with a Suzuki DF140 that I can't see me selling for +5 years. I'm interested in peoples thoughts with regards to keeping the Suzuki service book stamped up by taking it to approved Suzuki service centres. If I didn't would that affect the resale value? I know with cars people prefer to see a full manufacturers service book but does the same apply to boats?

What's the view also on self service as long as you keep all receipts?

Cheers all
Old 18 February 2013, 20:36   #2

Town: belfast
Boat name: portnahaven
Make: Red Bay Boats
Length: 7m +
Engine: yamaha 245hp diesel
MMSI: 235089641
At least with service receipts/book the buyer knows its been serviced. Otherwise how is he to know if the engine was ever serviced in its history.
Personally, with the money involved, i would walk away without the above unless i knew the boat well.
IMHO it would reduce your price a fair bit.
Old 18 February 2013, 22:15   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I wouldn't be overley concerned IF you've got someone who knows the DF140-anyone who can service BRP Johnsons for example.

Get them to stamp/sign the service book and keep reciepts if you want to keep the documentation up. It wouldn't make any odds to me personally if I was buying your boat in 5 years time, as long as it was serviced. With a 13 yera old boat, any service book that's survived is a bonus.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2013, 11:01   #4
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Thanks for the replys and both have two different views. Which still leaves me unclear. It would be interesting to get a few more replys to get a general consensus. I keep everything all receipts go in a folder just for the RC.

So I suppose to focus the question more. If you found two identical boats for sale both 12 years old and same engine hours but one with a full Suzuki service book stamped and the other with a load of receipts for service parts and the owner had carried out his own service at the correct intervals every 12 months or 100 hours. Would you expect one to be more desirable and to command a high resale price?

Cheers
Old 22 February 2013, 12:58   #5

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
If two identical boats came up for the same price and money I would go for the one with main dealer service history.

However, very rarely do boats have a lot of paperwork anyway and we are both lucky to have all the previous history with ours.

For me the more I know about my boat and engine the better, especially looking at the trips we do.

Mine will be due a service soon so I am also interested in other views on this.

So is a self service worth it or is it inviting problems later on?
Old 22 February 2013, 13:58   #6

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Interesting ...I'd be on the fence - manfacturers servicing is 'OK' but I have seen they simply work from a 'list' - home servicing I feel would tend to be rather more looking for problems and dealing with them before it fails or may be likely to fail.

While all the lists I am sure have something like 'visually inspect the engine' thats very differant to actually finding the little things that can bugger you up ( like corroded wires ) .......

I'll stay on the fence ....
Old 22 February 2013, 14:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
While all the lists I am sure have something like 'visually inspect the engine' thats very differant to actually finding the little things that can bugger you up ( like corroded wires ) .......

I'll stay on the fence ....
Were you impressed that we found the problem in a few mins because I know my boat

I guess for me the more I do the more I learn
Old 22 February 2013, 14:12   #8
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

I really am sucking my teeth over this one.

I suppose the for of having it serviced at the approved dealership is people new to the game would have more confidence in buying if they see a complete manufacturer service book.

The flip side is that there are good and bad service centres such as in the car industry my local Audi garage caught a guy ordering service parts but not putting all the bits on the cars as he was keeping them for his foreign work.

A knowledgable person of boats might see as PeterM suggested the engine being maintained better by the owner who knows what he is doing and proactive rather than reactive. The flip to this is you would have to find out during the sale if the owner knows what he is talking about and not a numpty!
Old 22 February 2013, 14:13   #9

Town: Essex
Boat name: Kestrel
Make: Gemini
Length: 6m +
Engine: Opti 150
Dealer, independent & DIY servicing all have their place in our world.
However it is exactly the same as when you sign up for a boating instruction lessons; it SO MUCH depends on the instructor.
It's exactly the same with servicing cars/bikes/boats. Although the guy works in a main dealer does he really know ( or care) as much as the independent mechanic in he workshop next door ( and of course vice versa)
You should choose your service man on recommendations and reputation rather than "it's a main dealer so it must be better"
DIY service is also great if you have the knowledge/skill and nowadays the tools to do the job right.

Just my 2p's worth.
Old 22 February 2013, 14:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ. View Post
I really am sucking my teeth over this one.

I suppose the for of having it serviced at the approved dealership is people new to the game would have more confidence in buying if they see a complete manufacturer service book.

The flip side is that there are good and bad service centres such as in the car industry my local Audi garage caught a guy ordering service parts but not putting all the bits on the cars as he was keeping them for his foreign work.

A knowledgable person of boats might see as PeterM suggested the engine being maintained better by the owner who knows what he is doing and proactive rather than reactive. The flip to this is you would have to find out during the sale if the owner knows what he is talking about and not a numpty!
The trouble is there are not that many ribs for sale, so if you want an RC585 the decision is really should you buy the one you are looking at or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchc View Post
Dealer, independent & DIY servicing all have their place in our world.
However it is exactly the same as when you sign up for a boating instruction lessons; it SO MUCH depends on the instructor.
It's exactly the same with servicing cars/bikes/boats. Although the guy works in a main dealer does he really know ( or care) as much as the independent mechanic in he workshop next door ( and of course vice versa)
You should choose your service man on recommendations and reputation rather than "it's a main dealer so it must be better"
DIY service is also great if you have the knowledge/skill and nowadays the tools to do the job right.

Just my 2p's worth.
Well put
Old 22 February 2013, 17:20   #11

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
If your selling AJ..I'll give you £2k less than you paid...and I don't care if it's ever been serviced ;-)
Old 22 February 2013, 17:29   #12

Town: Stotfold
Boat name: kimozo 2
Make: Ribtec
Engine: Mercury 115 efi 4 st
Servicing

Servicing on most things these days consists of mainly visually inspecting things ( you some times see what you want /bothered to see), 2 strokes plugs, leg oil change should be able to do your self poss impellors, take in to service agent to check timming and check set up oil pump flow ? any damadge to prop, engine, wiring etc you should spot when checking over /cleaning after trip, 4 strokes a bit more complext with cam belts and engine management systems, but as said do as much as you can yourself and keep reciepts and records and find a trustworthy marine engineer for the rest, if i was happy that boat/ engine had been treated to a good life i would not be concerned with a main dealer book stamped, ( you can buy rubber stamps with any name on )
Old 22 February 2013, 17:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRevor Lawson View Post
( you can buy rubber stamps with any name on )
Sorted
Old 22 February 2013, 17:44   #14

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Hi
If you service it yourself how do I know the engine has the hours claimed? No diagnostics! you could though get this done on the last service before you sell it or just pay to get that done but either way I would like more than just the sellers word (if possible) on the hours it has worked and even better at what revs etc.

dave
Old 22 February 2013, 17:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
Hi
If you service it yourself how do I know the engine has the hours claimed? No diagnostics! you could though get this done on the last service before you sell it or just pay to get that done but either way I would like more than just the sellers word (if possible) on the hours it has worked and even better at what revs etc.

dave
If you switch the ignition on the rev counter flips up to the hours its done and then goes back to zero.

I know that doesn't give you the revs etc.

Is it worth it for the diagnostics?
Old 22 February 2013, 19:00   #16
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

Is it worth it for the diagnostics?
It gives you the cumulative so I suppose only when you are selling it, not required on each service unless I am wrong?
Old 22 February 2013, 19:02   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ. View Post
It gives you the cumulative so I suppose only when you are selling it, not required on each service unless I am wrong?
But does it tell you stuff about faults that have occurred even intermittent ones etc
Old 22 February 2013, 19:07   #18
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

But does it tell you stuff about faults that have occurred even intermittent ones etc
See attached have dug an old one out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130222_200650.png
Views:	144
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	76908  
Old 22 February 2013, 19:09   #19
AJ.
RIBnet supporter