Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 04 September 2006, 11:57   #1

Town: Thurso
Make: Gemini Zapcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Send a message via MSN to bobbyjoeufb
Anyone Recommend a Tohatsu Dealer for parts???

I have spent a week now trying to get a price and to order a replacement throttle cable and the bolt that holds the engine locking handle to the engine.

So far I have emailed 5 Tohatsu Dealers and only got a response from one, who enclosed a scan of the parts manual asking if these were the parts I needed, I replied yes on Wednesday and heard nothing since.

Phoned them this morning to the response that they had read my email but that person is not in today and promised to call me back.

Last week I had spent Thursday afternoon calling 3 dealers all who promised to call me back with the information. One sounded very promising by stating that they had the throttle cables instock but would have to order the bolt and would ring back with a price. He also admited getting my email but had not replied as moving premises at the mo.

Rang them this morning, got a rather stuck up female who stated that they were moving, she did not know what the status of my enquiry was and I will just have to wait! (Her exact words!)

Called my local dealer, who advised that the mechaic deals with all part ordering, he has just returned from holiday this morning and was far too busy with servicing engines at the mo but she would ask him to give me a call! Why did they not tell me that last week that they could not help until the mechaic returned!!

The 3rd one again stated that person is not in and promised yet another call back!!!

So a week on I am no further in getting the parts that I need for my engine. I am throughly pi**ed off with it now, what more can I do to get these parts?

Can anyone recommend a Reliable!!Tohatsu Dealer that might be able to deal with my request, without the run about?
Old 04 September 2006, 12:02   #2

Town: UP NORF
Make: K4 CAT
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 X MODIFIED 2.5'S
Try pendle marine in preston 01772 691010
Old 04 September 2006, 12:07   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
I used these to service mine very helpful

A. C. Outboards 01780 480169

But based in Perterborough so not close to you

James
Old 04 September 2006, 12:16   #4

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Give ribshop a call

http://www.rib-shop.com

Tel: 01489 556801
Fax: 01489 571069
E-mail: webcare@rib-shop.com
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 September 2006, 14:29   #5

Tried rib shop, 5 min call and they have ordered both parts for me, delivery due by the end of the week.

Thanks to all who replied.
Old 10 September 2006, 16:03   #6

Update

I have now received 2 parcels, one contained 2 throttle cables and a note saying that the bolt would follow, this was from one of the dealers that I had been trying to get a price and to order the parts I needed. The 2nd parcel was from Ribshop and had both the cables and the bolt that I needed.

I have now fitted the parts and am going to keep the 2nd set of throttle cables as a spare.

I have rang Ribshop to thank them for sending the correct parts and to query the rather large delivery charge. They have charged me £5.50 postage for the parts that arrived in a jiffy bag, 1st class royal mail at a cost of 65p. The lady I spoke to said this was a standard charge because Tohatsu charge them £5.00 for delivery of the parts and in turn they pass this charge on to the consumer, I asked if this was the case why was this not inculded in the price of the parts, to which she replied it did not work like that. I know she is talking complete bull Sh*T I asked her to refund the difference to which she advised that she would speak to her manager and call me back.

Surprise Surprise no call back was received, I am now going to send a letter of complaint to Ribshop asking them to refund the overcharged postage.

On the plus my boat is now up and running again.
Old 10 September 2006, 18:47   #7

Town: UP NORF
Make: K4 CAT
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 X MODIFIED 2.5'S
I'm pretty sure tohatsu do charge them, guy I know who's a dealer was moaning about it a while ago.
Old 11 September 2006, 07:42   #8

Town: River Hamble
Length: 6m +
Sorry you feel disappointed, unfortunately Tohatsu do now have a standard postage charge of £5. As you know the parts had to be ordered in especially for you and due to the small mark up on engine parts, any parts order under £25 ex-vat, we have to pass this cost on to the customer otherwise we would be making a loss and therefore we would have to stop supplying parts to people who needed them.

I did speak to the other director reference this situation and she did say we had to stand by our policy regarding postage costs on.

We do however stand by one of our other policies which is complete customer satisfaction and have pm’d you a discount code for the website.

Regards Stephanie.
Old 11 September 2006, 15:54   #9

Thank You, I accept your gesture.