Old 29 December 2011, 20:47   #1

Town: Cullompton Devon
Boat name: SeaKnight
Make: bayliner Capri 20'
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam V4 130hp
advice wanted doel fins/hydrofoils

hi

could anyone give me some idear about installing doel fins at the right place on the cavitation plate , i have brought some off ebay to fit my outboard, thay came with intructions but i am a bit concerned, has ones i have seen fitted on outboards look to be fitted quite flush to the back edge of the cavitation plate. but the intructions i have say to fit the front no more than two centremeters past the inlinement of the back of the prop, which means the back of the fins stick out around a 100 mil past the back edge of the cavitation plate. in the instructions it says to have them covering directly above the prop area, thay would do this if i fitted them there,but it seems to be more of the tapered section directly above the prop and the main bulk area of fin slightly past the prop.

can anyone help before i drill and fit them
Old 29 December 2011, 23:21   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
They typically extend quite a bit further back (that's back in relation to the boat) from where the stock anti-ventilation plate ends. Is yours a one- or two-piece unit? One piece is a no-brainer: snug the wing up to the motor above the AV plate. Two piece is more flexible in positioning, but generally you want enough covering the AV plate to get several bolts through for strength, with the remainder extending aft.

jky
Old 30 December 2011, 09:25   #3

hi jyasaki
thank you for getting back to me, yes thay are a two piece unit, i will take a picture of the doel fins in place but not surcure them today and see what you think from the pictures, if you dont mind having alook. ile get back to you later today, once again thank you for your info.

Arkamelis
Old 30 December 2011, 17:31   #4

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Google shows "About 108,000 results" for Doel Fin images. Since you didn't list your engine make and model it is impossible to show exactly what it would look like mounted, but I am sure you can find it by typing your engine into google with doel fin, then go to images. If you need help with google just ask.

Old 30 December 2011, 22:14   #5

hi peter
first place i looked at was google images to see where the doel finst are fitted the most, and from what images a looked at 90% of them show the doel fins fitted with the flat edge running inline with the the back edge od the cavitation plate"which to be honest thats where i would have fitted them if i didnt have any instructions, but the instruction state to fit them 2 centermeters before the prop,which leaves them over hanging the back by some distance, and this is why im looking for opinons before a fit them for good" i want to get it right. i will try and do a search in google again with my outboard and see what comes up.

ark
Old 31 December 2011, 09:24   #6

no luck, and any that did show up didnt state it was on a 50 hp. ones that did show up all showed the fin in line with the back of cavitation plate. im going to try and get hold of the manufactures today.
Old 31 December 2011, 09:58   #7

Town: Plymouth
You should find using pic 1 you can get them fitted. If its that style you have just line them up with the rear of the cav (above the trim tab anode) as shown and push them in as far as they will go as others have said to allow enough of the plate to take the load. Mark out the holes or simply push them on then and take a pic to upload here. You'll soon be told if it looks right or not.

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 03 January 2012, 20:28   #8

hi
i have put some pictures in my profile album of the fitting instruction that came with the doel fins please take a look and see where im coming from about fitting them, it says to fit them about 2 centermeters before the prop, which i also have picture of them in that location,but leaves alot of the fin past the end of cavition plate. there is also diagrams that show fitting. i have taken on board all of you views so thank you very much for your help. and please take a look at picture to see where i have been mislead
Arkamelis