Old 31 July 2011, 14:52   #1

Town: Cambridge
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: TBC
Advice on first motor

Hi

I recently got tempted and bought a second hand 3.1M Zodiac fastroller in order to take my kids out on the water, now I have to spend some more money on getting an engine. So I have signed up here to beg advice.

The plate on the boat says 6 min to 10 max HP, with absolute max 16HP (which I found a bit confusing to be honest). It would used to coastal fishing with my kids (only a few 100yds from shore) or occasionally pootling around the rivers near home.

So my questions are:

What HP would you recommend? Would 4HP be too underpowered? I'd like to keep it light as I'll be shifting it myself. Does 2 v 4 stroke have much impact on weight?

Is it safe to buy second hand off ebay? As I'll have kids on board I'd like to feel confident I can make it back against the tide without having to row.

Anythings else you think I should know or consider? I spent a lot of times fishing and diving off small boats with outboards years ago but could benefit from any pointers.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

C
Old 31 July 2011, 15:52   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Hi welcome to the forum. I probably won't be the only one to say (parrot fashion): Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke, Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke, Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke, Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke, Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke...

Check a search for more but for a huge number of people this is the often recommended circa 3m SIB engine. Why? Reliable, very light, super simple to service, great pick up, quiet, burns virtually no fuel, etc, etc.

As for where to buy, eBay is probably the best bet to find one at a good price (second to buying from a fellow RIBnet member) but you really want to (must) see an engine started and running before you buy it. Buyer beware as always.
Old 31 July 2011, 17:03   #3

Hi

Thanks, that looks like a great solution, relative low weight with a lot of power. The only catch is that they seem to be like hens' teeth, I can't find any for sale new or second hand and they seem quite pricey.

If anyone has one going cheap (Yeah, long shot I know)

Cheers

C
Old 31 July 2011, 18:08   #4

Not that rare really, more here, post #5:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/wanted-...-ob-43128.html
Old 31 July 2011, 19:19   #5

I'll keep an eye on Ebay then.
Do you think a lower powered motor would do for the boat? If so, how much lower?

Cheers

C
Old 31 July 2011, 20:28   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Max... is Right

I think that 10hp is a sensible minimum for your boat and load. The wee toohotsue is very handy to haul about. An older unit will be cheaper.
Old 31 July 2011, 20:47   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I wonder how old the kids are... just wondering if they're small an 8hp might be enough which will increase the choice a lot?? Plenty of Youtube videos of 8hp's pushing 3m SIbs really well on the plane.

See this and perhaps have a word with Ben to see how his went with an 8hp?? If you are just one adult with two kids it makes a big difference.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f10/tohatsu...tml#post413179
Old 31 July 2011, 20:51   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Get a 10. They'll grow into it - lol
Old 31 July 2011, 21:27   #9

I spent a couple of hours out today in a choppy slight/moderate sea - purely for experience as once again the forecast let us down and having made the effort to get out early had to have a go. Kind of fun in a choppy way but would not really have wanted less power.

My 9.8 hits 15 kts with 2 adults and 2 kids. Me + 1 child = 17kts, me alone it will nearly make 18 kts if a really flat sea, that's 20mph so more than enough in a 3.4m rubber tub.
Old 01 August 2011, 08:20   #10

If you do go for an 8 HP, be quick and here is a chance of a 'free' engine.

inflatable boat and 8hp outboard | eBay

It's a giveaway price - split the package, sell the boat, wheels and bits for the purchase price and bingo! - one free 8HP!

Another chance here to do the same, if not free it could work out very cheap indeed - boat/wheels are nearly worth the starting price alone.

ZODIAC INFLATABLE BOAT 8HP ENGINE | eBay
Old 01 August 2011, 08:29   #11
RIBnet Supporter

If you're considering an 8hp, read this first:

Linky
Old 01 August 2011, 08:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
If you do go for an 8 HP, be quick and here is a chance of a 'free' engine.

inflatable boat and 8hp outboard | eBay

It's a giveaway price - split the package, sell the boat, wheels and bits for the purchase price and bingo! - one free 8HP!

Another chance here to do the same, if not free it could work out very cheap indeed - boat/wheels are nearly worth the starting price alone.

ZODIAC INFLATABLE BOAT 8HP ENGINE | eBay
Well, you were right about the first one, someone just bought it while I was looking at it
Old 01 August 2011, 09:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
If you're considering an 8hp, read this first:

Linky
Hi

I noticed that, I would initially be using it just for myself and my 9 yearold as the others are too little so an 8HP would probably do. Probably by the time they are big enough for us all to go out I'd be able to trade up in terms of boat and motor.

I'll message Benc

C
Old 01 August 2011, 09:08   #14

Willk that's why I mentioned it was important to know if it was just one adult + two kids and how small the kids were.

I'm guessing self plus Mrs are a little heavier than Max + Mrs Max and Max's kids are younger than our two teens..... but we couldn't plane at all four up (so about 6-8mph at fastest) with a 10hp hence my move to a 15 recently. This was with a 3.1m Zodiac.

However with either adult alone plus the two teens it was an easy 14-16mph plane with a 10hp.

So what I was saying is if the OP is the only adult and he's average weight and the kids are perhaps under 10yrs he may find an 8hp quite acceptable.

In any case in some makes the 8 & 10hp are very similar. With the Tohatsu they are effectively identical apart from the tuning that allows the 9.8hp to rev higher. Most of the extra 1.8hp over the 8 is gained in that upper rev range and at medium throttle openings the power is near identical.

Other thing is we need to know the OP's budget. If the £700-£1200 for a tidy 9.8 Tohatsu is out of the question and he wants to be nearer £300-£500 than I'd look seriously at Max's advice re his first link. As he says well presented you could re-sell the red Zodiac and wheels etc leaving the outboard very close to free... then get is serviced with the savings.

Regarding reliability I'm happy to run outboards up to 20yrs old (up to 10yrs old is better if the budget runs to it though) as long as they have been obviously well looked after. Basic 2-strokes in this HP range are usually very reliable.

Edit: Just seen you post above... 8hp would be fine for you plus a 9yr old. Opens up your buying options massively.
Old 01 August 2011, 09:18   #15

You did a good job selling that first outfit Max! £400! I'm sure many folks would have got that for the engine alone.
Old 01 August 2011, 09:25   #16

WTF!! He accepted £400 for it?!? I would have bought it myself for £600 if he was nearer. It was available when I posted - someone did *very* well there. .
Old 01 August 2011, 09:52   #17

I was very tempted to bid on that....serves me right for dithering.

I think I would ideally be looking at the lower price bracket. The main reason is that I can't be sure the kids will want to keep using it so, while the kids are small, it wouldn't see much use, so I'd like someone else to have taken the worst of the depreciation hit. If they take to it (or when they are bigger and I get some time back ) I'd trade up.

It does sound like I shouldn't be looking below 8HP though.

Thanks for your help so far!

C
Old 01 August 2011, 10:11   #18

>>>It does sound like I shouldn't be looking below 8HP though.

Agreed... 8 or 10 will be fine. As I mentioned above do beware the 10 models that are the same unit as a 15 but detuned... too heavy for their power.
Old 01 August 2011, 10:24   #19

If you buy a decent, clean, well looked after and under 10 year old 2 stroke 8 or 10 'big make' (Tohatus, Yam, Mariner, etc) at the right price (depending on model say £700 to £1000) you should not lose any money on re-sale in the forseeable future.
Old 01 August 2011, 10:54   #20

If C wants to keep in the lower end of the budget range here's one at £795 for a upper limit choice...

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

And what about this £425 buy-it-now "bargain"?

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

The Suzuki isn't too far from Cambridge and the guy having original books/brochure plus spare new impellor hints at a caring owner.