Old 03 May 2015, 13:52   #1

Town: Bournemouth
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 25hp 2stroke
Adjusting idle 25hp Merc 2st

I recently had the carb stripped and cleaned on my 1993 merc 2 stroke, it runs fine now but the idle is really high and I have no idea of how to adjust it?

I figured there must be a screw adjustment somewhere but cant see one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5E965A71-C3FE-4EB1-9BC4-44199A22421A_zpsqj1aw1rl.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	105015  
Old 03 May 2015, 18:27   #2

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I think there could be an access plug on the side just off the right of your photo..it should be under the plug..if its the same model Im thinking ?

Here is the complete service manual for the mercury 20-25hp engines..and I have opened it at the page covering the idle adjustment screw

Boatinfo - Mercury Service Manual for 20jet-20-25hp

hope that helps..there are some differences in models ..but its hopefully there

Or turn to page 102 which give a bit of detail on setting the idle mixture screw etc. Im no expert though..I just read the manual for the bits I do on my mariner 25Hp engine
Old 04 May 2015, 07:40   #3

thanks for this, ive looked through all the models but mine has a different set up and there isn't an idle adjustment where the manual shows?
Old 04 May 2015, 08:05   #4

I guess that is the problem with so many different models over the years Matt..it is certainly in that position on my 2006 outboard. Took this photo 5 mins ago..and the cap is removed..screwdriver is on the adjustment screw..through hole in the plastic plate

Perhaps someone else will know..as mentioned..Im no expert and just work through the service repair manual in the link to get my issues sorted
Cheers
Old 04 May 2015, 08:15   #5

Perhaps just the plastic plate is removed on your version Matt..your carb looks same as mine ? Is there a screw at the red arrow on your photo.. I would have though it would be around the same location ?

If not..I cant help..im on thin ice as it is..as I have never had to touch mine
Old 04 May 2015, 09:12   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Gurnard. The screw you're showing is the idle mixture which of course will affect idle speed when it's turned but I think Matt is looking for adjustment of the base idle speed. Your setup is the same as on my Mercury 15 Gurnard and the idle speed screw is on the left of the carb (as referenced in your pic) and just behind the fuel pump. It is a cam type thing with a brass headed screw with a spring round it.

"a" in this diagram...

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ol...6_mercidle.jpg

But of course Matt's is missing that whole assy. There were some models where the idle was factory set from new and there was no variation possible... the manual refers to this possibility. The other thing is unlike ours Matt's is on remotes. Is it possible there is some adjustment of idle speed possible at the remote levers? Does it have a fast idle facility at the remote end.

I wonder if the throttle remote lever or cable assy isn't allowing the throttle at the carb end to fully return to the idle posn.
Old 04 May 2015, 09:13   #7

Yes there's a screw same place, I thought that was the mixture adjustment screw? Is that the same thing?
Old 04 May 2015, 09:40   #8

I again...i thought it was the idle mixture screw you were looking for.. but now i re read the thread ..I realise its not what you want..its still all in the service manual though..try this page. Its easly for me to find as I have a real paper copy

and as Fenlander correctly mentions..some are factory set and dont have a idle screw.

matt the screw I referred to adjust the lean / rich mixture..if your outboard is running fine..dont touch it..but it tells how to adjust it if you need too

sorry for confusing the issue
Old 04 May 2015, 10:52   #9

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
on the front of the outboard, is the big plastic knob turned as far left as it will go? If not it should be, for normal running, it is only supposed/ idealaly to be used for the intial start up. Idle air screw one and a half turns out from lightly seated, regardless of what the service manual has printed in it.Some are set by the timing for which you need a strobe light and a rev counter.
Old 04 May 2015, 12:09   #10

Thanks for the replies, the idle knob is definitely turned back all the way and remotes are not the issue, it seems the throttle arm on he carb is back as far as it will go and there is no adjustment.

I know when the carb was rebuilt the idle mixture was turned out 2 full turns from lightly seated which is how he found IT, if I lean it off half a turn will it drop the revs down?
Old 04 May 2015, 12:26   #11

Well it might but it might also cause "fluffing" or even stalling as you raise the throttle just above idle.

One thing that can cause a high idle is an air leak which on your carb could be at the carb to engine face?? Did the guy use a new gasket set?

Also does your engine have the small "balancing" hoses between crankcase and just below the carb flange? Mine was perished and split in two places which could upset things.

See http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/mariner...arb-67447.html
Old 04 May 2015, 17:40   #12

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
matt no it probaly wont drop the revs, you can try it though
Old 04 May 2015, 19:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
I think there could be an access plug on the side just off the right of your photo..it should be under the plug..if its the same model Im thinking ?

Here is the complete service manual for the mercury 20-25hp engines..and I have opened it at the page covering the idle adjustment screw

hope that helps..there are some differences in models ..but its hopefully there

Or turn to page 102 which give a bit of detail on setting the idle mixture screw etc. Im no expert though..I just read the manual for the bits I do on my mariner 25Hp engine
Page 111 shows "adjusting idle speed" by adjusting the idle mixture?? I am confused as page 105 shows to adjust this screw here???!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5E965A71-C3FE-4EB1-9BC4-44199A22421A_zpsqj1aw1rl.jpg
Views:	10667
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	105085  
Old 04 May 2015, 19:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Well it might but it might also cause "fluffing" or even stalling as you raise the throttle just above idle.

One thing that can cause a high idle is an air leak which on your carb could be at the carb to engine face?? Did the guy use a new gasket set?

Also does your engine have the small "balancing" hoses between crankcase and just below the carb flange? Mine was perished and split in two places which could upset things.

See http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/mariner...arb-67447.html
Ive checked out your thread and my carb doesn't have the barb on the flange but does have two pipes under the intake which I noticed didn't look in great condition but I couldn't see any splits so left them
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BBFDA8D9-FF6C-436D-866D-AE1A88EDA879_zps8jpego73.jpg
Views:	5474
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	105086  
Old 04 May 2015, 20:02   #15

page 105 shows to adjust this screw here???!

Ahh no.. that's to adjust the degree of fast idle when you turn the fast idle knob.

Looking at your last image I'm reminded that in taking the carb off you disconnect the fast idle link rod that goes to alter the timing... are you 100% sure that's gone back properly (could be an error at either end as to how it was refitted) and isn't forcing the idle speed up?
Old 04 May 2015, 20:27   #16

hmmm not sure, the rod has fair bit of slack in it but not sure how its supposed to be?
Old 05 May 2015, 11:04   #17

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Just to throw a curveball in here - you aren't testing this on muffs are you?

The lack of exhaust back pressure results in a faster idle on muffs (and conversley if you set it perfectly on muffs it won't run in the water...)
Old 05 May 2015, 11:10   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Just to throw a curveball in here - you aren't testing this on muffs are you?

The lack of exhaust back pressure results in a faster idle on muffs (and conversley if you set it perfectly on muffs it won't run in the water...)
Yes I am running on muffs, and this is the first time run on muffs as ive previously started up (pre carb rebuild) in a bin full of water.

I think I will try it in a bin tonight and if its still high I will adjust the idle mixture slightly I know its 2 turns out whereas the manual suggests 1 1/4 out with 1/4 +/- from there.
Old 05 May 2015, 12:06   #19

Because I never use muffs I'd not thought to ask if you were.... good call 9D280!

Not only should you set up a carb idle in a bin (or on the water) but the idle mixture should be set in forward gear.

Matt forgive me if you know all this but....

Screwing the idle mixture screw in or out will slow the idle speed because that's how you determine where it should be set. The 1.5 turns out from lightly seated is a base setting to get the motor running then when warm and in gear you screw it out until it starts to slow/falter then in until the same happens noting the number of turns each time (in/out from the 1.5)... then unscrew to halfway between these two positions and that is where it should be best.

You will usually find the outboard picks up best from idle with a mixture that is a fraction rich (as long as it still idles smoothly) and you should never turn it in too lean.

That fast idle rod we were discussing has an odd "connection" at the flywheel end in that it should be able to pull the timing plate round when the fast idle knob is twisted but when the throttle is used to raise the revs the timing plate is able to move without moving the rod. The rod slides in the block it locates in at the flywheel end when you are using the throttle.

Easier to make sense when you are looking at it really.
Old 10 May 2015, 20:00   #20

ok guys, ran it up on the muffs and adjusted the idle mixture screw service manual says base mark is 1 1/4 turns out, (it was out 2 turns out) if I leaned it in to 1 1/4 the revs dropped to what it should be, but I am really nervous about running it too lean? From what ive read you should set the idle mixture to the highest rev point?