Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 09 April 2012, 20:56   #1

Town: Yellowknife CANADA
Make: Zodiac MkI & Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Engine: OMC 2hp/15hp/60hp
Adding safety Kill switch to 1977 Evinrude?

I've just helped a friend of mine buy an old 1977 25hp Evinrude outboard for his Bombard C3. Is there a lanyard type safety kill switch which will replace the old push to stop switch on this motor? He is not that experienced with boats and I don't think that he should be on the water without one.

Thanks.
Old 10 April 2012, 10:51   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Is the 1977 one the 2 cyl single carb machine with the two mixture controls on the front of the cowl, or the successor with a thru' prop exhaust? (I forget when they changed over)

Either way, changing that for a deadman switch is easy. Unless you have acres of room inside the cowl (the early ones do - which is why I asked!) Then remove the stop switch, take it to your local chandler, & find one that matches it size wise. Then fit that instead. If there is space to park a bus, just buy a switch with a fixing that fits the hole.

The stop switch on those engines basically shorts the plugs. The deadman is the same thing, in the case of the stop switch the contacts are held open circuit by a spring, and you push it closed to stop, the deadman is held closed circuit by the spring, and is held open by the clip. So electrically they should be a straight swap. Packaging it in the hood is usually the decider between one type of switch and another.

Worst case, drill the hood.