Old 21 July 2009, 20:20   #1

Town: Oregon
Make: zodiac 550 SRMN
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F15
92 90hp yam overcharging

my 1992 90hp yam will slowly overcharge the battery when running for extended periods. The volts will slowly climb up into the high 14's and low 15's Volts and give me a high voltage warning on my vhf radio. If I turn on my Nav. Lights the volts drop down enough (14's) that the warning goes away. I am guessing that i am having voltage regulator issues. How to test and where are they located? Thanks for any help, stan..
Old 21 July 2009, 20:32   #2

Town: Surrey
Length: no boat
Ok stan , i have come across this problem a few times out in the field . This problem does not NECESSARY mean its the rectifier/reg on the engine ok . Firstly how many items have you got running off your main cranking battery ? You should always run your outboard on its own battery , i know you r thinking NO WAYS alot of people I know have all sorts of things connected to the one battery but this is were you start too have problems . All you need is for your VHF radio to have a bad earth and it upsets the whole system . What i would do if I were u was connect a battery directly too the outboard with a set of battery cables ( NOT TOO CROCODILE CLIPS ) to good set of battery cables and run your outboard and put a volmetre across the post and see what its reading . Run it @ idle and take a reading then run it @ 3500 and take a reading . Lets start here first ok . baz
Old 21 July 2009, 23:59   #3

Town: Oregon
Make: zodiac 550 SRMN
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F15
Baz I only run one battery so I am running my gps/depth finder, VHF radio and running lights off of it. I will try disconecting everything but the motor and check the volts as suggested, will have to wait till this weekend to try this. Stan