Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 26 August 2021, 06:01   #1

8 hp 4 stroke that weighs 26 kg

Most people on here seem to like Boatworld and I see that they now have a 8hp 4 stroke outboard for £900 that is the same weight as most 6 hp.

The make is Orca which I understand is gaining some traction.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has owned and used an Orca and more interestingly if they have experience of their 8hp. and if from their experience they actually feel it is putting out 8hp.

If they have managed to make a 8hp that weighs in at 26 kg this will be a bit of a game changer
Old 26 August 2021, 08:48   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Chipko is your man... not sure if this has sold yet? But I know he'd give an honest assessment, good and bad, even if selling.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f10/for-sa...8hp-86606.html
Old 26 August 2021, 09:34   #3

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Chipko is your man... not sure if this has sold yet? But I know he'd give an honest assessment, good and bad, even if selling.
"Boat’s great. Jury’s still out on the motor though. Fairly underwhelmed to be honest, although starts and runs well enough and hasn’t missed a beat so far. Not sure it develops much more power than the 6 it’s based on but at the end of the day you get what you pay for. Bought as a cheap stop gap motor only until we can get hold of a 9.8"

Here's Chipko's assessment of the Orca.
Beerbelly's got his eye on it if he's not already collected it.
Old 26 August 2021, 12:46   #4

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
8 hp 4 stroke that weighs 26 kg

Ok, Orca 8 purchased as a stop gap lightweight motor for our equally lightweight tunnel hull sib, whilst waiting for a 9.8 two stroke.

As you are probably already aware it’s basically a bored out (169cc) copy of the Yamaha 6hp. Only done 9hrs on ours, barely run in, so cannot comment on long term reliability.

Fairly impressed with general fit and finish straight out the box. Perhaps not quite up to Yamaha standards but certainly far better than expected. Filled up with (supplied) engine oil, fuel, and after a few pulls fired up nicely.

In its albeit limited use all I can realistically say is it’s not missed a beat….starts well, idles smoothly, revs cleanly, sips fuel, and sounds like any other mainstream 4/5/6hp single pot motor.

Power wise, not sure what to advise. There are no other single pot 8’s out there to compare. Without a back to back test all I can say is it feels faster than a 6 and not as fast as a twin pot 8….hardly surprising. It may well develop the stated 8hp (within tolerances) but without the extra torque of the twin pot 8’s. In fairness our ‘fairly underwhelmed’ comment was probably based on waiting for the 10hp. Also still in the later running in stage so only a few very short wot runs. We got a solid 14kts on the Elling and a scary 15kts on the Aqua Marina one up….motor easily able to bounce of limiter with the standard 7.5 x 8” prop.

I suppose the main risks with these Chinese motors is long term reliability, lack of dealer network/spares and higher depreciation. Buy cheap and sell cheap. However, for a good few years light recreational use then perfectly viable for many. It has a 3 year warranty which should still be honoured even if diy serviced to scheduled intervals….best to keep parts receipts just in case. Boatworld have been around a good few years and seem to be growing in popularity particularly at the budget end of the market. They are a genuine ‘bricks and mortar’ company and in my experience very good to deal with. I’ve heard they’ve sold over 500 Orca’s this year and their workshop doesn’t seem to be swamped with failed/returned motors.

Myself, and many others, have been scathing in the past of the Chinese copy brands, but in fairness this little motor is much better than I ever expected. Still stand by that old nugget ‘you get what you pay for’ though.

Anyways, blatant plug; ours is still for sale. [emoji3]
Old 29 August 2021, 10:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Ok, Orca 8 purchased as a stop gap lightweight motor for our equally lightweight tunnel hull sib, whilst waiting for a 9.8 two stroke.

As you are probably already aware it’s basically a bored out (169cc) copy of the Yamaha 6hp. Only done 9hrs on ours, barely run in, so cannot comment on long term reliability.

Fairly impressed with general fit and finish straight out the box. Perhaps not quite up to Yamaha standards but certainly far better than expected. Filled up with (supplied) engine oil, fuel, and after a few pulls fired up nicely.

In its albeit limited use all I can realistically say is it’s not missed a beat….starts well, idles smoothly, revs cleanly, sips fuel, and sounds like any other mainstream 4/5/6hp single pot motor.

Power wise, not sure what to advise. There are no other single pot 8’s out there to compare. Without a back to back test all I can say is it feels faster than a 6 and not as fast as a twin pot 8….hardly surprising. It may well develop the stated 8hp (within tolerances) but without the extra torque of the twin pot 8’s. In fairness our ‘fairly underwhelmed’ comment was probably based on waiting for the 10hp. Also still in the later running in stage so only a few very short wot runs. We got a solid 14kts on the Elling and a scary 15kts on the Aqua Marina one up….motor easily able to bounce of limiter with the standard 7.5 x 8” prop.

I suppose the main risks with these Chinese motors is long term reliability, lack of dealer network/spares and higher depreciation. Buy cheap and sell cheap. However, for a good few years light recreational use then perfectly viable for many. It has a 3 year warranty which should still be honoured even if diy serviced to scheduled intervals….best to keep parts receipts just in case. Boatworld have been around a good few years and seem to be growing in popularity particularly at the budget end of the market. They are a genuine ‘bricks and mortar’ company and in my experience very good to deal with. I’ve heard they’ve sold over 500 Orca’s this year and their workshop doesn’t seem to be swamped with failed/returned motors.

Myself, and many others, have been scathing in the past of the Chinese copy brands, but in fairness this little motor is much better than I ever expected. Still stand by that old nugget ‘you get what you pay for’ though.

Anyways, blatant plug; ours is still for sale. [emoji3]
Very good and interesting report. Thanks

It seems to have improved rather since your last report. I wonder if this is because you are wanting to sell it
Old 29 August 2021, 11:51   #6

Town: Glasgow
Make: Excel Vanguard 395
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 20
Selva make an 8hp single and infact a 10hp single.
Old 30 August 2021, 10:20   #7

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameslong View Post
It seems to have improved rather since your last report. I wonder if this is because you are wanting to sell it

Sorry to hear I gave that impression, not intended as a sales pitch, and would still stand by my comments.