Old 06 August 2008, 20:26   #41

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
What I was really getting at was that you would expect some slip from the props, as you would think they wouldnt be able to transmit the power to the water like that , which was why I used the words "properly set up" in my post. Barrus claim that somewhere around a half two two thirds of the prop should only be in the water iirc, which I would expect on a racing style set up. It just amazes me how it can transmit that thrust the way it does. Also I should point out, this is in reference to already being under way, and not the hole shot, which is a different story!
The bigger 6 pot Verados do sit quite high, but its because they sit about 6 inches further back from the transom. We have found that they are very suitated to 4 blade props to get the best performance and hole shot. When set up right the hole shot is pretty amazing too!
Old 06 August 2008, 20:35   #42

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
I think Halmatic must be watching my thread, their latest Arctics are starting to look quite like mine!
Old 06 August 2008, 21:18   #43

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel View Post
The bigger 6 pot Verados do sit quite high, but its because they sit about 6 inches further back from the transom. We have found that they are very suitated to 4 blade props to get the best performance and hole shot. When set up right the hole shot is pretty amazing too!
I ultimately ended up on a 4 blade too with the 275.. same pitch as the 3 but it was better when cornering and gripped more accurately on a turn when some wave was on, strangely, I always found the hole shot dissapointing with either .. dont know why, but to me that was not a significant part of my boating anyway and I never tried to improve that, I was content with the mid range thrust, which was excellent when threading bigger seas and ofcourse the top end
Old 07 August 2008, 16:30   #44

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I ultimately ended up on a 4 blade too with the 275.. same pitch as the 3 but it was better when cornering and gripped more accurately on a turn when some wave was on, strangely, I always found the hole shot dissapointing with either .. dont know why, but to me that was not a significant part of my boating anyway and I never tried to improve that, I was content with the mid range thrust, which was excellent when threading bigger seas and ofcourse the top end
I have been talking to a bloke in the USA who runs some 300xs and some of the new Verado 350s - he reckons the acceleration and throttle response of the 2 stroke is still much better!!!