Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Yes.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davies
Peccadilloes? Is that anywhere near Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerchwyndrobllllantysiliogog ogoch
...........turn left just past Evans and Evans the Butcher, 0.5 miles (1 gallon by rib and 2 ltrs by exotic car) on your left.
Old 24 May 2005, 13:11   #22

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Without doubt one of the funniest mornings I've ever had on Ribnet. I have literally just had to wipe my eyes dry
Old 24 May 2005, 13:30   #23

Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
RIBase
if u r concerned about fuel buy a diesal hehehe these new outboards cost about the same!!
Old 24 May 2005, 14:12   #24

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe
............however, where as one often covers hundreds if not thousands of miles per year in the exotic car, one usually - and I emphasise usually, only covers a fraction of those miles in ones RIB.
My mates only does about 6000 miles a year in his Ferrari - it is his weekend toy and it would lose too much value if he racked up the mileage - at an average of 15mpg = 400 gallons of petrol.

My RIB with a 225 2 stroke will prob use 80 gallons every time I take her out (4hrs x 20gph).

I would LIKE to use my RIB for - say 2 day a week for 20 weeks a year = 3200 gallons!!!

I know servicing a Ferrari aint cheap but then neither is mooring a RIB.

Wish I hadn't worked this out - it actually costs a lot more to run a RIB than a Ferrari!!!

Depreciation isn't a problem with the Ferrari either if you keep the mileage down because of the extended waiting times - he will soon be taking delivery of a new F430 which people are selling USED for £40,000 more than they cost new!!!
Old 24 May 2005, 14:39   #25
ADS

Town: Dorset
Ferrari F430, no thanks, complete rubbish, you should save yourself £60k and buy yourself a Kia Sorento, they are much better!
Old 24 May 2005, 14:46   #26

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I would LIKE to use my RIB for - say 2 day a week for 20 weeks a year

Codders I hope you mange to get to us your rib as much as this but I do think you are being a bit optimistic
How will you fit in all the rest of your busyness life?
Nick
Old 24 May 2005, 15:05   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
Ferrari F430, no thanks
Couldn't agree more! Superbly engineered but will never have the exclusivity and raw appeal of a similarly priced Lamborghini Gallardo or the beauty and class of an Aston Martin DB9 at about £20K cheaper! Ferraris have long ceased to command the jaw dropping stares that accompanied the old 308/328's in their day, and more recently the 355.
Old 24 May 2005, 15:18   #28
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
My RIB with a 225 2 stroke will prob use 80 gallons every time I take her out (4hrs x 20gph).

Can a 225 really burn through 90+ litres of petrol an hour?!? Are you sure you've ordered an engine, and not a pump for an oil rig?!?

I know it's an oil burner, but my 315 gets through approx 20 litres an hour (on average) - even if we lose red diesel it'll be worth it!!!!!!

D...
Old 24 May 2005, 15:42   #29

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR

Can a 225 really burn through 90+ litres of petrol an hour?!? ....
D...
Yup....my "economical" 4*250 works on 2 litres plus per mile at reasonable throttle openings...
Old 24 May 2005, 16:32   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davies
Couldn't agree more! Superbly engineered but will never have the exclusivity and raw appeal of a similarly priced Lamborghini Gallardo or the beauty and class of an Aston Martin DB9 at about £20K cheaper! Ferraris have long ceased to command the jaw dropping stares that accompanied the old 308/328's in their day, and more recently the 355.
Couldn't agree more!!! His 360 spyder is a lovely car BUT just TOO good!!! It doesn't frighten the shit out of you like an old Ferrari or Lambo would the moment you sat in it. Also the paddle shift is horrid - part of the joy of a car like that is driving it just right - heeling and toeing and getting the change just right - cock it up occasionally of course but when you get it right - wow!!!

Another mate has a DB7 Vantage and is taking delivery of a DB9 in July - has also already ordered the V8 2 seater.

Personally I would rather spend my money on one of these(£80,000)

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/

Some nice videos to download of a car that is faster than an F1 or Enzo - and NO the video's aren't streaming!!!

Have a look in the gallery section at the engine installations - WOW!!!

Unfortunately I will have to just make do with my RX8 when it arrives in July - I must be jinxed - even they are in short supply after a factory fire in Japan!!!
Old 24 May 2005, 16:33   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne
I would LIKE to use my RIB for - say 2 day a week for 20 weeks a year

Codders I hope you mange to get to us your rib as much as this but I do think you are being a bit optimistic
How will you fit in all the rest of your busyness life?
Nick
Don't tend to work weekends anymore and also I intend using the RIB in all sorts of weather - hence getting a drysuit and helmet!!!
Old 24 May 2005, 17:34   #32

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Ermm, unless your 4 hours of boating are gonna be launch, wammo full throttle for 4 hrs, stop recover, I dont think your gonna burn 20gph for 4 hours. I suspect on a typical day out you'll do 40galls mebbe depending on how far you go.

You boys must have fun with your 'top trumps' cards eh? 'My mate has a F5431 Maranwhateverthehell, does 459 mph!', 'Ha thats nothing I have a Lamborrahti Fasterpussycat that does 820mph, so I win haha!'

All fits with my theory of CP being a schoolboy with an overactive imagination........
Old 24 May 2005, 20:13   #33

Town: St Davids
Boat name: 6 vessels -various
Make: Quinquari/Humber
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin ETEC200s
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR

Can a 225 really burn through 90+ litres of petrol an hour?!? Are you sure you've ordered an engine, and not a pump for an oil rig?!?

D...
Agree 100%.

To that I also add is the fact the purchasers seek the most ecconomical engine in the hope of saving fuel costs.

The truth is that the choice of vessel/engine but even more so the balancing of the boat to loading (fixed and moveable) is more critical. So please do not compare 2 engines on diff. boats or even fit outs.

On a well balanced boat an old fashioned carb 2 st will out do the latest injection/4 stroke if that boat is not so well balanced.

Our approach is to weigh each component as it is fitted to a vessel and from that work out the moments and relate to the vessels LCG and CCG. It works !

Notwithstanding the fuel rebates why do 95% of commercial users opt for 2 stroke even though there is an extra oil cost ?

We are currently fitting a pair of old fashioned carb 200hp 2 strokes (Yam) on a new 10m for the Red Cross in Indonesia ( they must have the older type due to servicing in the area). It will be interesting to see how these perform on a balanced boat and I will relate figures back.

Alas do not forget props.

Cheers

John
www.quinquari.co.uk
Old 24 May 2005, 20:20   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinquarimarine
Agree 100%.

To that I also add is the fact the purchasers seek the most ecconomical engine in the hope of saving fuel costs.

The truth is that the choice of vessel/engine but even more so the balancing of the boat to loading (fixed and moveable) is more critical. So please do not compare 2 engines on diff. boats or even fit outs.

On a well balanced boat an old fashioned carb 2 st will out do the latest injection/4 stroke if that boat is not so well balanced.

Our approach is to weigh each component as it is fitted to a vessel and from that work out the moments and relate to the vessels LCG and CCG. It works !

Notwithstanding the fuel rebates why do 95% of commercial users opt for 2 stroke even though there is an extra oil cost ?

We are currently fitting a pair of old fashioned carb 200hp 2 strokes (Yam) on a new 10m for the Red Cross in Indonesia ( they must have the older type due to servicing in the area). It will be interesting to see how these perform on a balanced boat and I will relate figures back.

Cheers

John
www.quinquari.co.uk

Yes please John - if anyone knows their stuff it's you!!! Nothing beats experience eh???
Old 25 May 2005, 07:33   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinquarimarine
Agree 100%.

Cheers

John
www.quinquari.co.uk
Thank you for your input, that is an interesting observation, John. Are you, if I read you correctly, inferring that most people don’t bother to set up a boat as well as you do? It’s just that Andy and Frank put an awful lot of sea time and effort into setting up my boat and I’d be very disappointed if I thought they weren’t experienced enough to get it right. Should I be going back to them and saying that my boat should be more economical to run? Bearing in mind we set the boat and prop for the conditions that my boat has run at most of the time.

Also I’m intrigued by your question of the choice of two strokes for commercial use and the inference that it because of better fuel consumption figures. I understand that people who need to do maintenance “in the field” would choose two strokes and that people who expect their engines to be abused and need overhauling would choose two strokes, or that people who need to go as fast as light as possible would choose two strokes.

Where do you get the figure of 90% from? I appreciate you have vastly more experience than most of us in the commercial field, but I have been wracking my brains to think of all the commercial RIBs that I can and can only think of ones with four strokes or diesels. Is the two-stroke “market” a particular sector of the commercial boat world? Off shore/Rig work?

Cheers, Jono
Old 25 May 2005, 10:20   #36

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
This is turning out to be a very interesting thread. I await the next instalment with anticipation.

Shows how much I know about outboards. I went to the Southampton Sportsboat and RIB show and got talking to the guy selling Evinrude engines. We were talking about the new E Tec and its lack of servicing etc, he extolled the finer virtues of the engine including how fuel efficient it was compared to a Four Stroke. It was at this point I realised its a 2 Stroke.

Why can't they make choosing things easier. I suppose life would be boring then.

I must admit I do like the idea behind the new Evinrude E Tecs. Has anybody got any experience of this engine yet ?

Regards Nick R.
Old 25 May 2005, 11:19   #37

Nick

Robin on the forum had an E-Tec 50 on his Ribcraft 4.8 and loved it. A recent new member, Humper, has the 250 E-Tec on a 7.5m Osprey and I was out with him off Anglesey a couple of weeks ago. He also raves about it. Brambles and AshleyD also have a 250 E-Tec on their Scorpion which they seem to rate very highly as the replacement for the Honda 225 which died as a result of water ingress.

I suspect it's a bit early to evaluate the E-Tec properly as they were only launched 18mths ago, although early indications suggest they're impressive bits of kit. They're launching the 115hp version later this year followed soon after by the 135 and 150. Unfortunately, some people are still biased against Evinrude as a result of the reliability problems that beset their Ficht engines a few years ago, rather in the same way that people still think Jaguars are unreliable cars! Like Jaguar, however, Evinrude now has all the backing and resources of a large corporation and Bombardier has invested massively to ensure the success of the E-Tec concept. As one dealer noted, the E-Tec should currently be the best engine on the market. I personally think they're the most aesthetically pleasing engine out there and they definitely sound the best
Old 25 May 2005, 13:28   #38

Town: Iqaluit, Nunavut
Boat name: Turaagaq -North Star
Make: Bombard WB 385 -2002
Engine: Mercury 25 4-Stroke
In my opinion there are trade off's with either type. E-Tec and similar Direct Injection 2-stroke engines are most likely best when you want the max HP on a smallish rib and with this new technology you burn much less fuel and oil compared to the prehistoric 2's. Yes throttle response is better and the weight issue makes it a difficult decision however, 2 strokes will always burn more fuel, oil and plugs than an EFI 4 and have you ever compared the DB rating on those two's? Wow those things are noisy. I personally prefer my little Merc 4 for reliability, uniform torque curve, quietness and low vibration. I hunt seals and caribou from the water so the quiet factor really helps. I could have better performance with a Merc 30 2-stroke which weights 115lbs compared to 178lbs on my 25 so that says a lot. I can barely lift the 25 myself and I am at the limit for transom weight which is terrible for getting to plane speed but when I get there I have much more confidence and am much happier with my 4-stroke out in remote areas. Bombardier adopted this E-Tec technology from the SDI engines in their snowmobiles so the R&D costs would be significantly less, I have seen amazing consumption figures from these SDI’s on snowmobiles so I believe companies like Suzuki will need to do some serious marketing to convince all of their possible customers to go with 4-strokes.
Old 25 May 2005, 13:41   #39

Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 HP E-Tec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
This is turning out to be a very interesting thread. I await the next instalment with anticipation.

Shows how much I know about outboards. I went to the Southampton Sportsboat and RIB show and got talking to the guy selling Evinrude engines. We were talking about the new E Tec and its lack of servicing etc, he extolled the finer virtues of the engine including how fuel efficient it was compared to a Four Stroke. It was at this point I realised its a 2 Stroke.

Why can't they make choosing things easier. I suppose life would be boring then.

I must admit I do like the idea behind the new Evinrude E Tecs. Has anybody got any experience of this engine yet ?

Regards Nick R.

Nick,

I have a 250HP E-Tec and till now we are very pleased with it. So far we have used it 35 hours. Till now, the strongest points we have noticed are
- the engine starts immediately within the first second
- the engine has lots of torque and a good top end speed (comparable to the Yamaha 250 VMax)
- the engine is very quiet at idle and low RMP’s. Between 1500-4000 RMP’s it makes a nice deep sound but not too loud and above 4000 RMP I can’t hear it any more due to the wind.
- Fuel economy is OK. At WOT it burns 85l/hour. But our average till now is around 25l/hour.
- the oil ratio is about 1l oil versus 70l fuel
- the only maintenance intervention we had till date was changing the gear case oil after 10 hours. Next maintenance should be within almost 265 hours.

Paul
Old 25 May 2005, 13:54   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharrier
Nick,

........- the only maintenance intervention we had till date was changing the gear case oil after 10 hours. Next maintenance should be within almost 265 hours.

Paul
Now there's a damned fine reason to buy a two stroke..