Old 01 April 2009, 19:18   #1

Town: Littlehampton
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
2stroke oil in a Tohatsu 50hp

I was speaking to someone a few weeks back and they were telling me what 2stroke oil to use for the best performance, and the "cheap" ones being better.

Whats people's views and experiences on this?

Also does anyone know of anywhere to get race props. I know of www.stainlesssteeldevelopments.co.uk but i want to have a good look around!
Old 01 April 2009, 22:21   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Not sure why the cheapest would be the best, however you don't always get what you pay for either. Remember the 2-stroke oil is there to lubricate your engine. I'd rather not cut corners and use a cheap oil, especially when your 3-4 miles offshore and your engine decides to play up!

I'm currently using Quicksilver 2-stroke oil for my Yamaha, and apart from being a little smokey on start-up it's been fine. Just picked up some Yamalube premium 2-stroke oil today, so planning to use that instead and drain the Quicksilver, if nother more - than to simply test it like for like.
Old 01 April 2009, 22:58   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Use Rockoil - it's almost identical to the Quicksilver but not at a silly price. Remember 2 stroke oil is only in your engine for a tiny amount of time before it comes back out!!!
Old 01 April 2009, 23:02   #4

Town: Sussex
Make: Ceasar Surfcat
I use quicksilver oil in mine, and use a worked 15pitch semi clever powertec prop(available through steel developments)-got mine from ceasar marine when i picked my surfcat up. Its a great all round prop-had just shy of 45knots out of it + still good for towing toys. Even managed to go a little quicker than a friends thundercat with a steel developments 15' bunny prop. best performance is gained through well set up carbs and ignition and engine height.
Old 02 April 2009, 16:58   #5

Town: Littlehampton
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
I use quicksilver oil in mine, and use a worked 15pitch semi clever powertec prop(available through steel developments)-got mine from ceasar marine when i picked my surfcat up. Its a great all round prop-had just shy of 45knots out of it + still good for towing toys. Even managed to go a little quicker than a friends thundercat with a steel developments 15' bunny prop. best performance is gained through well set up carbs and ignition and engine height.
Cool, great example of why you shouldnt listen to anyone without double checking first.
I've got the height pretty much spot on now after a few adjustments, and i tried a steel developments race prop which made a heck of a difference.
When i take it for its next run i might fiddle with the jets etc.

A bit off topic ive noticed your in sussex, where do you take yours out?
I found a lot of places especially littlehampton, worthing an shoreham aren't very small/fast boat friendly... with littlehampton refusing to let us launch at all!
Old 02 April 2009, 20:02   #6

Town: Sussex
Make: Ceasar Surfcat
A bit harsh not letting you launch.

I launch at either Rye harbour or Hastings seafront(down the beach at boat club) and play about between Rye and Eastbourne.