Old 13 July 2015, 09:08   #1

Length: no boat
20HP's - Suzuki DF20A vs Honda BF20?

I'm looking for a new 'lightweight' 4 stroke 20 HP engine. probably tiller steering.

I have more or less decided on the Suzuki, 44kg. But I have looked at some Honda package deals. So I would like to know if anyone has experience with these new motors? The Honda is almost the same weight.
Old 13 July 2015, 11:46   #2

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Ive owned a 20 honda (power start and trim) on a small boat which was faultless in the years I owned it. My resale on the outfit was higher than I paid new partly because of how popular the small hondas are.

Not wanting to bag Suzuki as I also own a 90 4 stroke which is now 4 years old. The Suzuki does shows signs of use much more, some bolts even under the cowling have rusted and the black paint is very prone to showing scratches etc.

I also own a yamaha F70, yamaha are my all time favourite which also hold their price very well and seem to be the cheapest to service in my neck of the woods.

Jon
Old 13 July 2015, 12:11   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
on my forth Suzuki love em down sized now to a 25 hp at 62 kg never owned a Honda but they are all pretty much the same Suzuki boast the lean burn don't know if that is better than the Honda or not fuel wise
Old 13 July 2015, 22:17   #4

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
I bought my Suzuki after seeing performance reports on Suzuki's website and many fishing magazines giving it a fantastic review in regards to lean-burn etc. These claims were very much exaggerated, to the point Suzuki were forced to change their claims on economy and performance on their outboards over here.

Frankly when a company claim to get faster speeds than certain pitch propellers can travel even without slip something is wrong. My advice is don't believe any of the figures you see on performance charts.

If Suzuki see this they are more than welcome to contact me (even though we've already been down that path, hence the change to their website now)

Jon
Old 16 July 2015, 20:22   #5

Length: no boat
Thank you very much for the comments!