Old 04 May 2014, 21:27   #1
E63

Town: California
Boat name: SPD 330E
Make: Achilles
Length: 3m +
20HP outboard discussion... (Yamaha vs Suzuki)

Hello,

New member here who just bought a new 2014 Achilles SPD330E Aluminum floor boat.

Boat is rated for a 20HP outboard. Unfortunately the 2 strokes are not for sale here anymore and even getting one second hand isn't a great idea as many of the lakes have banned them.

So it looks like I'm stuck with getting a heavy 4 stroke motor. I really only have 4 choices out here... Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, or the Tohatsu's

I have pretty much narrowed it down to 2 specific models. I am leaning towards the Yamaha F20SMHA. Mostly because I trust the name (have owned several Yamaha 2 strokes in the past) and feel like it should serve me well in mixed fresh/ saltwater environments. The only downsides being it is quite heavy (114lbs) and pricier than other motors by about $500

The other engine that seems interesting is the new Suzuki DF20AS... It is about 15lbs lighter, and about $500 cheaper than the yamaha, my only concern is it has a new electronic EFI system unlike the Carb'd Yamaha. I am worried the added complexity of the fuel pumps and injectors may lead to reliability issues down the road.

Has anybody run both the motors and have an opinion on their performance and or reliability?

Bottom line is I'm not so worried about the initial cost and would gladly pay a bit more up front for long term reliability, and above all performance!

Thanks,

-Christian
Old 04 May 2014, 22:22   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
No experience of either but my gut feeling would be go for the yam for exactly the reasons you state I've also had good service with yams & as a mechanic id be put off by the complex fuel system
Simple is usually best imho
Old 05 May 2014, 22:26   #3
E63

Town: California
Boat name: SPD 330E
Make: Achilles
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
No experience of either but my gut feeling would be go for the yam for exactly the reasons you state I've also had good service with yams & as a mechanic id be put off by the complex fuel system
Simple is usually best imho
Thanks for the input... yes I think the Yamaha will be the way to go. My boat should be here in a couple of days so still have a bit of time left if anyone cares to sway me another way though hah!

-Christian
Old 06 May 2014, 17:09   #4

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Hi and welcome to Ribnet.
I have a Suzuki DF20AS purchased last year, but can't argue with your preferred choice of the Yamaha F20.
For me the light weight and EFI system were the deciding factors. My boat remains inflated on its launching trolley but engine is removed and wheeled/manhandled through the dunes after use, so saving even a few grams was considered an important factor. At 44kg I believe it is the lightest 20hp 4 stroke at the moment. A bit of weight saving at the transom also can't be a bad thing.
As it is only about 8 months old I can't really comment on long term reliability, but so far it has performed faultlessly, as I would expect any new outboard from the big four manufacturers should.
With the EFI being a new system on this size of engine I can understand your reservations, but think it offers performance gains and fuel economies over a carb'd unit. As all larger engines have been fuel injected for many years I'm hoping Suzuki will have factored reliability into this new unit as well.
Only time will tell! (and the 5yr warranty).
Hope you enjoy your new boat and engine.