Click Here to Login

Old 19 June 2021, 01:00   #1

Town: Cork
Boat name: DELIVERED
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: OB Yamaha-F70
2012 YAM F90 Won't ReStart after normal run

I have (4) incidents of the where engine fires up & runs normal and won't restart after a run. Run the boat out 20-30 minutes varying speed up to full throttle. Get to destination turn off and won't restart. Wait roughly 10-15 minutes then re-starts normal and cycle repeats itself. After 1st incident replaced Racor fuel H2o separator filter, engine fuel filter and installed new NGK plugs. (Pulled plugs looked good) All connections checked for leaks & fuel tank vent & fuel bulb working normal. 2-4 events were all after driving 8 hours (400 miles) to new water destination. After 3 no starts engine to unreliable to continue trip. Returned home. Today inspected all wiring harnesses, canister and related fuel lines i.e. main fuel feed and hose lines to VST. Nothing abnormal. Drained fuel from VST. Under normal start & run engine performs great, no sputtering, hiccups, full power etc. all operating parameters (gauges & sensors) within normal. Acquired boat with 348.5 hours now with 355 hours. I can run the engine in my back yard connected to ear muffs/garden hose. Haven't started yet after VST tank drain because I need to recharge the fuel tank. Plan on doing this on Monday. ANY SUGGESTIONS????
Old 19 June 2021, 07:08   #2

Town: Devon
Make: Zodiac Cadet 340
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 25hp 2t
RIBase
This sounds fuel related. To restart engine it must have immediate fuel supply.

Sounds like yours is draining back on shutoff, is there a one way valve somewhere?

Could also be vapourlock from engine heat in one of the pipes, moved any lately?
Old 19 June 2021, 07:53   #3

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Onboard tank?
Why not borrow a portable 25l tank and priming line to do some diagnostics by process of elimination?
Old 19 June 2021, 09:00   #4

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
Stator or vapour lock - both caused by heat build, can be a bugger to isolate the issue.
Old 19 June 2021, 13:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevbouy View Post
This sounds fuel related. To restart engine it must have immediate fuel supply.

Sounds like yours is draining back on shutoff, is there a one way valve somewhere?

Could also be vapourlock from engine heat in one of the pipes, moved any lately?

Recall 1st incident squeezed fuel bulb and didn’t help. Inspected “fuel strainer” above 1st fuel pump and actually looks like empty tube.

How to check for vapor lock? And/or heat in what pipes??

TIA
Old 19 June 2021, 14:56   #6

What is stator lock??
Old 19 June 2021, 15:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliee View Post
Stator or vapour lock - both caused by heat build, can be a bugger to isolate the issue.

Yes I'm coming to the same conclusion its a bugger to isolate, thanks for the tip!!
Old 19 June 2021, 22:44   #8

Failed to mention that by a slight chance of luck I came across a marine engine tech that had a diagnostic unit while I was away at the dock that could read the engines on-board computer and it showed "no faults". Second, when I explained a no start after running some +/-30 minutes and won't restart the throttle position is in "neutral" and the key switch turned to start cranks the engine. It cranks over but doesn't fire.

If you have direct experience with this problem please by all means contribute.
Old 19 June 2021, 22:51   #9

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
When it is in one of its no start scenarios, blast a bit of brake clean or easy start in to the intake whilst cranking, if it fires you know it’s fuel related, if it doesn’t then you can look elsewhere.
Old 19 June 2021, 23:02   #10

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Engine: Suzuki 175
I had a similar problem on my Suzuki DF 140 a couple of years ago. Would start and run - not perfectly, but OK. Once stopped would not restart. Pulse were sparking and fuel getting through. I replaced lots of stuff, low and high pressure fuel pumps, IAC etc. In the end gave up and took it to the Suzuki guru ( Barry Windsor - Windsor Marine - top guy). He eventually traced it down to a faulty engine control unit. It was not turning off the fuel pump when the engine was stopped, and so was flooding the cylinders with fuel. The plugs were then too wet to fire. When it had time to evaporate ( like overnight) it fired again no problem. Apparently he diagnosed it by listening for the fuel pump when it was first turned off. Worked faultlessly ever since ( touch wood!).