Old 12 June 2022, 21:03   #61

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Boat
Make: Valiant V-450
Length: 4m +
Engine: Etec 40
Wee update.

With good , bad and funny news I think. Probs lot of newbie errors

Decided take boat up river tay test new injector. Good now running fantastic. Wife came with me. Which is unusual but she was up for it
Left from Newburgh. Wee bit choppy but up on plain all way up to friarton grabbed a coffee and cake. Then off again up to Perth. Pottered about and decided test done let's head back. Whatever it is 5 miles I think.

Turned the boat around. Hit something, no idea what. Stopped checked prop. Looked OK. Have I got depth finder of course I have didnt bring it with me. Oops, anyway heading back down river at a nice 17 knts when I felt water hit my feet. I'm like wtf. Looked round water right up to top of transom. Didnt realise as feet already wet. The water was not at my feet it was almost up to just under my knees. First thought was were gonna sink. Wife taking a Benny decided head to shore although no where to recover from just get to the side. Stopped Wife going mental by this time. Anyway decided remove drain plug get up on plain hopefully drain as we go. Nope more water taken on. My mind told me this thing can't sink. So keep going. Water sloshing over transom now. But keep it going , get back to slip. Because of water weight and at plaining speed porpoising bad. Wife up front bobbing up and down , not amused. Anyway gets back to slip. But as I slow down its now a wave coming over transom. But we made it. After recovering boat its apparent pvc to fibreglass has separated about 12 inches in length so my plaining theory was actually blasting water in.

Probs lot of mistakes made here. But the engine is now great. Electric trolling motor would keep me off rocks if I needed it too. More repairs to do. I've no luck. We'll maybe I have my wife assures me her boating days are over. . Lol.

So they're you have it good news, bad news and slightly funny news all in same post.

And I get peace when I go out now. Once repairs are done.

That's gotta count as a result. Lol.

Tags
evinrude