Old 16 June 2011, 13:46   #1

Town: Trelogan
Boat name: Supacat
Make: TT-Supacat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 outboard
2004 silver Tohatsu direct injection

Hi Again,
Sorry for all the questions but I am looking at buying a new boat.

Can anyone tell me how the 2004 Tohatsu 90 low pressure direct injection 2 stroke (silver cowl with grey lower) compares with a 2004 UK spec carb outboard.

I am sure this is a USA import. Are there any quirks with these engines as I know that it was circa 2007 onwards that we got the black with blue stickers TLDI outboards.

The outboard I am looking at must be some sort of derivative of the later injection engine that was only available in the states.

Just wondering if there is anything to look out for (apart from the usual) when buying one of these.

Regards
Howy
Old 16 June 2011, 17:00   #2

Town: Trelogan
Boat name: Supacat
Make: TT-Supacat
Engine: Tohatsu 50 outboard
heres a picture of the motor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	silvertohat.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	60205  
Old 16 June 2011, 18:57   #3

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
Hello,

I have done a lot of testing with the DFI engine and the carb. Also spent a long time programming the ECU on the TLDI engine. The biggest problem we had with the TLDI engine is compressor failures due to overheating. They get very little water through the compressor and if it get blocked up they get very hot and you dont know anything about it. The 2010 engine has a temp sensor on the compressor to tell you its getting to hot so you can switch it off!
The block itself is pretty much the same as the carb, it just has the fuel injection gear bolted on!.
We use a 50hp TLDI on our Zodiac FC470, and its been ok. Just quite heavy compared to the Carb engine.
Old 12 June 2020, 07:07   #4
OJR

Town: Akaa
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel View Post
Hello,

I have done a lot of testing with the DFI engine and the carb. Also spent a long time programming the ECU on the TLDI engine. The biggest problem we had with the TLDI engine is compressor failures due to overheating. They get very little water through the compressor and if it get blocked up they get very hot and you dont know anything about it. The 2010 engine has a temp sensor on the compressor to tell you its getting to hot so you can switch it off!
The block itself is pretty much the same as the carb, it just has the fuel injection gear bolted on!.
We use a 50hp TLDI on our Zodiac FC470, and its been ok. Just quite heavy compared to the Carb engine.
I have Tohatsu 115 TLDi in my boat, in Finland, and I have been searching some info about remapping that ecu, if anything is possible to do with it. There are companies here remapping outboard engine ecus, but Tohatsu is not that big brand in Finland and moreover remapping is done more for 4-stroke engines.

I found this old thread partly related to this theme, but any other tips are also welcome. What kind of experience there is about enhancing performanco fo TLDI engines.

And yes, I know that there is Magnum Tuning cheat box available for TLDi, but that is not something I am looking for. Of course, if someone can tell me that it is piece of gold and worth of its price, you can try to convince me