Click Here to Login

Old 19 July 2011, 10:13   #1

Town: Carlisle/Glasgow
Boat name: Wreckless
Make: Ocean
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mariner 200hp
2001 Mariner 200hp 2 Stroke - Question

I have just aquired a rib fitted with the above outboard. With this being my first outboard of this size (that I am financially responsible for) I am trying to ensure I don't bust it!!

I seem to have most potential failure points sussed out but my question is with regards to the oil injection pump. If this was to fail how would you know this before major damage occurred?

On the earlier models I believe the oil injection pump had a flow sensor installed which triggered the alarm when the flow stopped but on my later model this sensor was done away with? I believe the alarm now only sounds when the oil level is low in the engine bay oil tank.

Should I be worrying about this or not? Are oil injection pumps pretty much bomb proof?
Old 19 July 2011, 10:28   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I don't know about your particular model but in the case of the earlier engines the pumps were anything but bomb proof, they failed regularly. The pump was driven from a nylon gear and the teeth went awol without much encouragement. You are right to check it out so I hope someone else can be more help to you. I'd be interested to know too.

Another failure point, which may or may not apply to you, is the pressure hose for the oil system from the crankcase. The hose was connected to a stub on the engine block and then bent quite sharply to exit the engine cover. Since the hose is plain with no reinforcing, a crack opened up on the stretched side and this resulted in no pressure to send the oil up to the top tank.
Old 19 July 2011, 10:45   #3

I haven't had the pump off yet or tested it so not certain if the drive is plastic or metal. However the service manual does point out that grey pastic particles would indicate drive gear failure.... I would therefore assume the drive is made of grey plastic?

If the tank pressure hose failed the engine tank would deplete and I should get a low oil level alarm (in theory!)
Old 19 July 2011, 12:39   #4

Town: Midlands
Make: Ribeye 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
Its about the only weak link on the carb V6 - If the plastic gear lets go, the first you'll know is seizure.. Motor may then be beyond economical repair.

I have the same motor as you and decided to get the Mercury bypass/block off kit for about £7 and be done with the oil pump. No more worries (unless I forget to add oil to the fuel one day!)

Removal of the pump, plunger, tank, wires, sender, alarm module can be done in a couple of hrs easily.

If you need any help shoot me a PM.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19 July 2011, 13:27   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjetjim View Post
I have the same motor as you and decided to get the Mercury bypass/block off kit for about £7 and be done with the oil pump.
That has to be the best value insurance policy and smartest mod ever at just £7
Old 19 July 2011, 16:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjetjim View Post
I have the same motor as you and decided to get the Mercury bypass/block off kit for about £7 and be done with the oil pump.
7 quid sounds like my kind of fix!!

A no brainer really. Do you get any problems with oil separation in the fuel tank if the boat stands for any short period of time or is a run out on the trailer enough to shake things up?
Old 19 July 2011, 22:35   #7

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsman81 View Post
....However the service manual does point out that grey pastic particles would indicate drive gear failure.... I would therefore assume the drive is made of grey plastic?
....and that it can fail.

The drive is more like a worm and gear, the gear is on the pump but it's the worm which fails. Mine was indeed grey plastic.