Old 06 June 2017, 22:11   #1

Town: Derby, UK
Boat name: Seafire
Make: Almarine
Length: 3m +
Engine: 50hp Yamaha (short)
2 stroke value in the future?

Been thinking about the value of the late 2 stroke outboards that were brought into the UK recently.. I've just brought a 2006 mercury s/s 15hp in mint condition - the plan being to look after it really well and keep it as near as to mint as possible - it will only be used a few weeks a year on holiday..

What I'm wondering is.. do you think these engines will hold their value as they are doing right now? I'd like to think that in 10 years time or so i'd be able to sell it for roughly at least what they are fetching today.. but with the four-strokes catching up now I think it will go one of 2 ways - either they will become really sought after or forgotten about and fetch nothing!

Although personally, I still prefer 2 T engines - much more character, simpler and great performance.. I think I always will to be fair

Whats your opinions? anyone else stowing one away somewhere hoping it appreciates? haha
Old 06 June 2017, 22:32   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I have one, best 2 stroke 15 ever made IMHO. I don't think values will drop at all if looked after.
Old 06 June 2017, 22:36   #3

Town: Derby, UK
Boat name: Seafire
Make: Almarine
Engine: 50hp Yamaha (short)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
I have one, best 2 stroke 15 ever made IMHO. I don't think values will drop at all if looked after.
They are great engines - I used to have an 8 hp mariner version too, that thing was brill

Also got a mint Yamaha 50hp 2 T 3 cylinder Short Shaft that I adore haha
Old 06 June 2017, 22:56   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
In my opinion the long-shaft 15hp (preferably a bullet-proof Yamaha) is more desirable than standard shaft given a greater range of use depending on outboard height or as an auxilliary on larger ribs. Wouldn't even hazard a guess on price in 10 years. You have to factor in spare part availability too.

My advice is just use it and enjoy it. Stored outboards, although mint can be problematic. The rubber fuel primer bulbs and fuel pump diaphragms can deteriorate with age. Even copper wiring can oxidise causing the usual electrical issues.
Old 07 June 2017, 03:41   #5

Town: Southwest Colorado
Make: Avon Rover 310 Aero
Engine: Evinrude 6hp 2 smoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner91 View Post
Been thinking about the value of the late 2 stroke outboards that were brought into the UK recently.. I've just brought a 2006 mercury s/s 15hp in mint condition - the plan being to look after it really well and keep it as near as to mint as possible - it will only be used a few weeks a year on holiday..

What I'm wondering is.. do you think these engines will hold their value as they are doing right now? I'd like to think that in 10 years time or so i'd be able to sell it for roughly at least what they are fetching today.. but with the four-strokes catching up now I think it will go one of 2 ways - either they will become really sought after or forgotten about and fetch nothing!

Although personally, I still prefer 2 T engines - much more character, simpler and great performance.. I think I always will to be fair

Whats your opinions? anyone else stowing one away somewhere hoping it appreciates? haha
Few gasoline powered machines actually appreciate in value, other than some vintage exotic cars built in Maranello when the late Enzo Ferrari was a younger man.

As for portable (15 HP & under) later production two stroke OB's, they certainly have been holding their value very well over the years, with clean well cared for examples typically fetching as much as 60-75% of what they sold for back when they were new, current models. And as long as replacement 'hard' parts are still available for a given model, there is no reason they shouldn't continue to be sought after, and maintain good resale values. But, they will never appreciate in value, not like an original '70 Hemi 'cuda, or a brilliant red Barchetta will.

As for 4 strokes in the 8 to 15 HP range 'catching up', they're probably as light as they are ever going to get (in other words still 25% heavier than a comparable HP 2 stroke), and they are certainly not getting less expensive... today's 10 HP 4 stroke is close to double the price of what a new 10 HP 2 stroke sold for 10 or 15 years ago.
Old 07 June 2017, 05:56   #6

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
A pal of mine used to be an outboards dealer 25-30 years ago and he had to buy a minimum stock in the winter. He would buy engines knowing he wouldn't be able to sell them but he stored them for sometimes 5 years or more then sell them as unused old stock for more that he could get when new because the new price had climbed every year. This business strategy worked for him for many years taking advantage of the inflation which was higher back then than now.
I'd imagine as new condition older engines will lose very little as when compared to their new (limited life) high tech counterparts they will seem like good value for money.
I doubt we will see many of the new generation engines still running in 30 or 40 years like we do with the old school simple 2 strokes
Old 07 June 2017, 08:24   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Over my lifetime the amount and type of boating has varied but it's been about 11yrs since we started this SIB and smallcraft boating with experience of 3.5hp-25hp OBs.

So at the start we were just seeing the last of the legit 2-strokes sold. I don't remember the new prices but I do remember what just run in used motors fetched and I reckon mint examples of the most popular 9.8/15hp models are now about 20%-30% higher.

No-one can really say but I reckon they will broadly hold current values for at least 5yrs and possibly much longer but you can't underestimate the massive improvements in usability of the portable size 4-strokes being made every year.
Old 07 June 2017, 08:53   #8

Town: Auckland
Make: Gemini Waverider 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Johnson 90hp
You all need to move over here to NZ...all still available new (including the Mercury 15hp and Tohatsu branded versions).
Old 07 June 2017, 12:10   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinNZ View Post
You all need to move over here to NZ...all still available new (including the Mercury 15hp and Tohatsu branded versions).
Am I right in thinking you can still buy 2-strokes in Australia too - for leisure use?
Old 07 June 2017, 14:45   #10

Town: Southwest Colorado
Make: Avon Rover 310 Aero
Engine: Evinrude 6hp 2 smoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinNZ View Post
Interesting... here in the US, the last of the portable (15 HP & under) two stroke OB's were produced as 2006-2007 model years, and within a few years later were pretty much sold out from dealers stock.
Old 07 June 2017, 18:37   #11

Not sure about what is available in Australia but the Yamaha 90hp 3 Cylinder 2stroke must be the most popular 90hp here (although that observation is probably best for another thread....).

There are two 15hp Mercury. One is a 'super'...it may be that one which is the same as the Tohatsu 18hp? I owned a Tohatsu 18 and the Mercury dealer I spoke to said the two were identical (ie same output).
Old 07 June 2017, 18:39   #12

I meant to say...this means that spares will surely be available for years for all of us?