Old 16 April 2013, 19:35   #1

Length: no boat
Engine: 135Hp 2stroke
MMSI: 3596
1998 Yamaha VMax 150 TRP

1998 Yamaha VMax 150 TRP
Been looking at a Rib with this motor on, is a 98/99 model a bit old now or do theses motors have a good reputation? What should I look out for and anyone has a idea how much one is worth, it has low hrs and has been on one boat from new that was used for sunbathing
Old 16 April 2013, 20:53   #2

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
hi. Regarding this particular motor I have no experience of but my dive club rib has a 94 Yam 115 2Stroke, which is an excellent engine. It has given no trouble at all over all the years we have had it and last sunday after seating in a barn since November, I serviced the engine and primed the bulb and after about two turns of the flywheel the engine fired and ran smooth as silk.

Provided you do all the neccessary checks, compression, visual, water test etc I wouldn't let the age put you off as ours is in A1 condition and almost 20 yrs old now.

As I did hear that they are shortly stopping making them perhaps they will start appreciating in value from now on.

ps. I did live on the Isle of fun for a few years back in the early 90s.

Good luck Dave
Old 16 April 2013, 21:09   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
That's a rare one-I've only ever seen one of those duoprop Yamahas.
Yams are generally pretty reliable, but a carbed 150 will be thirsty. Finding props could be interesting as well.

Might be worth having a chat with a Yamaha mechanic about the gearboxes.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 21:11   #4

Town: balzan
Boat name: ranieri
Make: ranieri
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard 140hp
Hi, same as Davej a year ago I bought a Ranieri pathfinder with a Ymaha 140hp V4 two stroke. This boat I bought as second hand from aa chap who has had it since 1998 who he had bought as new. The engine as I was saying is still in a mint condition as previous owner used to take the boat to sea and soon after back on its trailer and rinse the motor with fresh water straight away. As regarding servicing same he did keep it up to date.
The only thing I changed lately were the two thermostats since they were still the factory mounted original ones.
As regarding running in winter I simply immerse the motor in a large tank with fresh water and once every month or two I start it for a couple of minutes.
I was also told that such two stroke models were owned here in Malta for the water sports and boat renting companies and such motors lasted for more than 20 years, so in my openion buying a yamaha old two strokes is the best choice one can make.

Good luck,

Yamaha 140.
Old 17 April 2013, 16:56   #5

Length: no boat
Engine: 135Hp 2stroke
MMSI: 3596
Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated, the boat I’m looking at was fitted with the motor in 99 when It was built by RibEye, just it’s a lot of money for a boat and motor of this age but looking around it’s also hard to find a 7+ meter boat for the money.

I personally have a 87 model Mercury 135 v6 and it still runs well, with the dash clock showing over 3000 hrs it still amazes me when it starts up each time.

Dave, I take it you don’t miss the place apart from the lovely weather :/ J

Old 17 April 2013, 22:18   #6

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
I do certainly miss lots of lovely things about the IOM, the people, the feeling of living close to the sea, the Norse heritage and of course the diving.

However, I certainly don't miss the terrible weather, poor street lighting and the narrow twisty potholed roads and last but not least the almost 4 hour boat trip from Hesham!

We had our two lovely children there and do return every now and again.

davej