Old 16 July 2018, 20:08   #1

Town: West Yorkshire
Length: no boat
1998 Yamaha 9.9

I have seen a Yam9.9 for sale. Older than I wanted (1998) average usage but it really good condition. Just had dealer service and sold from a dealer.

I have a few niggles.
Its £850. Is it worth it? I cant believe how much used engines are.
I can get a new Tohatsu for £1300. Double the price but new. Should last me out unless i upgrade to a 15hp at £1600.
Obviously a new Yamaha is more £2000.
Then there is the weight. Its 45kg. Same weight as a new 15hp Tohatsu.
I have never lifted a outboard up, so dont know how hard it is. A bag of sand is 25kg and easy.2 bags is getting heavy. Thats using 2 hands. Outboards only have 1 handle. I will have to walk down to the beach with it. Only 1 handle so no space for someone to help me.

Then, how long will it last? Thats the big question. It wont get much use from me, so used is more particle.
Can you still get the parts for a 20 year old Yam
Old 16 July 2018, 20:33   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
45kg for a 9.9! If really so... too heavy... too heavy... too heavy!!

Lifting outboards is unrelated to how much weight you can lift with other products. They are top heavy and slippery with sticky out bits that dig in you.
Old 16 July 2018, 20:54   #3

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
They are huge great bulbous things, bigger than modern 25hps now.

That being said they aren’t blighted by the useless Mercury derived electrics as used on the F25/30/40. They last forever and parts availability is no problem.
Old 16 July 2018, 20:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
45kg for a 9.9! If really so... too heavy... too heavy... too heavy!!

Lifting outboards is unrelated to how much weight you can lift with other products. They are top heavy and slippery with sticky out bits that dig in you.
Thats what his add says. Yam F9.9. 232cc 45kg.
Why are you shocked. A new new one is 39kg. only 6kg less. A 15hp is 51kg
Old 16 July 2018, 21:00   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
OMO but if you look like you will need 15 go for it now the tohatsu engines get a lot of respect originally made for Japanese fisherman needing reliability if you buy a9.9 then want to swap you will lose the £300 on the deal new verses old all I will say is your paying double for a new engine with new technology etc20 years younger with full knowledge of its history.
If you have to carry get a sack barrow B&Q do a lightweight one carries 80kg folds to nothing
Old 16 July 2018, 21:20   #6

just did a check on new ones.
Yamaha 9.9 is 39kg
Yamaha 15 is 51 kg
that is 11kg jump from 10 to 15hp

Tohatsu 9.8 is 37 kg...only 2kg less than the Yam
Tohatsu 15 is 43 kg......... 8kg less than the Yam

that is only 6kg jump from 10 to 15
Old 16 July 2018, 21:24   #7

>>>Why are you shocked. A new new one is 39kg. only 6kg less. A 15hp is 51kg

When I started sibbing no-one wanted a 4-stroke on a daily inflate/set up sib due to their weight... that's why the 2-strokes have been and still are so popular.

However in recent years the 4-strokes have become lighter and are no offering real competition in the portability stakes.

There are several newer model 20hp 4-strokes now weighing 43-45kg so I would not want half the HP that weighed the same. A 51kg 15hp isn't "good value" in the HP vs weight stakes either.

But as Jeff says the Tohatsu are a basic no-frills engine that are highly regarded for their tough reliable build so if you get a chance at a new one that suits you go for it.
Old 16 July 2018, 21:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
OMO but if you look like you will need 15 go for it now the tohatsu engines get a lot of respect originally made for Japanese fisherman needing reliability if you buy a9.9 then want to swap you will lose the £300 on the deal new verses old all I will say is your paying double for a new engine with new technology etc20 years younger with full knowledge of its history.
If you have to carry get a sack barrow B&Q do a lightweight one carries 80kg folds to nothing

I have thought long and hard.Watched vids etc I have 0 experience.
Its for a 3.3 inflatable. Max is 15kg.
I could get a 6hp for only £800. Built in fuel tank and weighs the least. Sounded the best. Asking about and looking at vids, it wasnt enough power for the sea.

15hp had bags of power but cost the most and weighed the most.
10hp looked fine. Cost a little less and weighed a little less.

After saying all that. Looking at the Tohatsu 10 and 15. There isnt much in it.
Looking at a Yam, I would get a 10hp.
just tying to keep the weight down. I am 16 stone. My lad is about 10. Daughter 7 and my wife??? no one knows guessing 9/10. Total 273kg plus motor? 310/ 320kg

Boat is 380kg max. Dont want it at its max
Old 16 July 2018, 21:50   #9

Do you want a newer 4-stroke... or would one of the 36kg Mercury/Mariner 2-strokes from early-mid 2000s do you? There have been loads about recently around £750-£1000.
Old 16 July 2018, 22:18   #10

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Dont forget the servicing thing ,Buy new with 5 year guarantee ,then spend another 20% money for service every year in order to keep up warranty ,some say best bet is to buy new ,never have it profesionly serviced ,use it 5 or 6 years then stick it on ebay and get 2/3rds of the price of a new one, and start again
Old 17 July 2018, 00:06   #11

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Thats a 4 stroke If your going for an older engine get a 2 stroke! I think the 9.9 yam which is the same as the 15 is 36kg so probably worth having the extra umpffh if the boat will take it. Far more managable and a good two stroke will outlive one of the early 4 strokes and probably many new ones too.
Old 17 July 2018, 06:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Dont forget the servicing thing ,Buy new with 5 year guarantee ,then spend another 20% money for service every year in order to keep up warranty ,some say best bet is to buy new ,never have it profesionly serviced ,use it 5 or 6 years then stick it on ebay and get 2/3rds of the price of a new one, and start again

I wont be paying anyone to service it. I used to be a motorcycle mechanic. Just hope any faults happen in the first year. Bad ones usually do
Old 17 July 2018, 06:47   #13

>>>I wont be paying anyone to service it.

There is a first service on most you need at about 3mths or 20hrs to keep the first year warranty up. Most places will do this at a reasonable rate.

I agree with you though re when most warranty faults show up. I had that initial service on the new Suzuki I bought 2+yrs ago then self serviced on the yearly's.

When I traded it the other week two dealers apologised that their offers were about £100 below where they would have been with a full dealer history. What they didn't realise was I'd saved £250+ in doing the services myself and loads of fuel/time travelling to the dealer to get those services.
Old 17 July 2018, 06:50   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredge3 View Post
I wont be paying anyone to service it. I used to be a motorcycle mechanic. Just hope any faults happen in the first year. Bad ones usually do

Maybe, but if you don’t use it much in the first year it’s potentially only 3 months old in motorcycle years! Salt water is the potential killer you won’t be used to from motorbikes.

For moving the crew weight you were describing I’d want the max HP. 2 stroke will cope better to get four people on the plane in a 3.3m boat, but even with 15 hp that’s not going to be lightening fast.
Old 17 July 2018, 06:55   #15

Good point re crew Poly... I'd missed that info... just guestimating but a 9.9 may well fail to get on the plane at that loading so yes even more reason for an older 2-stroke 15hp.
Old 17 July 2018, 07:09   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Maybe, but if you don’t use it much in the first year it’s potentially only 3 months old in motorcycle years! Salt water is the potential killer you won’t be used to from motorbikes.

For moving the crew weight you were describing I’d want the max HP. 2 stroke will cope better to get four people on the plane in a 3.3m boat, but even with 15 hp that’s not going to be lightening fast.

It wont be very often that we are all in it. Mainly me and my son.

Isnt salt water only going to get in the cooling system and prop?
Old 17 July 2018, 07:16   #17
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredge3 View Post
Isnt salt water only going to get in the cooling system and prop?

Ah were you an outboard designer in the 70s?

Those are the only bits swimming in it. The rest gets exposed to a fine mist of spray, invisible droplets - under the hood should not be too bad (but is not immune), all your steering, tilting, shifting parts on the outside however...
Old 17 July 2018, 08:15   #18

>>>It wont be very often that we are all in it. Mainly me and my son.

I think it should plane OK with you and son using a 9.9hp but the full load will very likely bring you down to displacement speed.

Poly don't put the wind up re saltwater!

As long as you have a good regime of running in a tub to flush after each use and rinsing down the outside then OBs will last decades with saltwater use. Also keep an eye on the anodes and frequently lubricate all grease points to push the water out.

Of course with a used one you have to trust this has been done in the past.
Old 17 July 2018, 08:40   #19

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
all good points above re- servicing its a bit of a rip off to be honest i paid £100 ish less for my 25 suzuki than pikey dave paid for a 140 suzuki for a yearly service. last year i had a fault on my slew pin took 3 attempts to rectify it, big cost to me going back and forward which is the other side of servicing if the service agent isn't near to your home.
what you have to decide on is the compromise say get a 10hp which will perform two up and be displacement speed four up also going to sea hp matters if its choppy and you want to maintain on the plane the low hp will still struggle two up in those conditions and you won't have the throttle response and power in reserve.
lastly you dont want to be flogging your engine every time you go out just for the sake of 5hp reserve power is a must for me.OMO
Old 17 July 2018, 11:53   #20

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
i have a mercury 15hp 2006 2 stroke for sale. fully ready just been serviced plus, gearbox oil and impellor.
available today.. 3950 with fuel tanks

alex

Tags
yamaha