Old 09 June 2007, 20:00   #1

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
1996 60 mariner problem.

Took my boat out today for the first time and what a disappointment, everything was fine untill i got out of the lock and ran the engines at around 4000rpm for a couple of minutes and then one engine just lost all of its power the engine was not happy just idling either and did not throttle up again from there on, so i shut it down, did some quick checks i.e engine not overheating, fuel line seemed ok but the engine just wasn't happy at all, has anybody got any ideas as to the problem? cheers, Tim.
Old 09 June 2007, 21:58   #2

Town: Colchester
Boat name: Pamela
Make: Valiant
Engine: Mariner 80 EFi
MMSI: 235059536
Were there any engine alarms? I had a similar problem with a slightly later Mariner 60 that turned out to be fuel supply related. Air was being drawn into the fuel line at higher revs causing the engine to issue alarms and lose all power. Once it had happened the only way to cure it was to shut it off and wait a while before re-starting.

Eventually we found a cracked fuel tap was the cause and when it was removed the engine was fine. The engineers couldn't explain why the response to the problem was so peculiar though.
Old 10 June 2007, 10:30   #3

Hi jc, no there was no engine alarms the engine just suddenly lost all of its power and cut out, after that it would not start for around 30 minutes but still was sick when it eventually did. luckily we have 2 engines so we got back safely, one thing that i forgot to mention though was that the other engine would only rev to 3,500 revs tops after, strange i wonder if its a problem with the remotes? i shall endeavor to try and find out for myself rather than put myself at the mercy of dealer or service engineer who charge around £60 an hour around here ouch any more thoughts and ideas most welcome and if somebody out there has a 1996 mariner repair manual for sale then it would be most appreciated, cheers, Tim.
Old 10 June 2007, 17:13   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
do the 2 engines have separate fuel and battery systems?
Old 10 June 2007, 21:15   #5

Hi mate, yes the engines have separate battery and fuel systems, i have looked inside the cowling and noticed quite a lot of 2 stroke oil has leaked from somewhere, from the oil pump i think which makes me ask the question was the engine failure due to oil starvation from a faulty pump? sometimes the hardest thing about working on engines is to correctly diagnose the fault, must say at the moment i'm pretty disappointed at the lack of replies from the tec boys, but there you go i will get there in the end
Old 10 June 2007, 21:36   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims Osprey View Post
Hi mate, yes the engines have separate battery and fuel systems, i have looked inside the cowling and noticed quite a lot of 2 stroke oil has leaked from somewhere, from the oil pump i think which makes me ask the question was the engine failure due to oil starvation from a faulty pump? sometimes the hardest thing about working on engines is to correctly diagnose the fault, must say at the moment i'm pretty disappointed at the lack of replies from the tec boys, but there you go i will get there in the end
I'm sure someone will be along with some advice or diagnostic questions in the next few days - probably most folks are out playing on their toys today. Fingers crossed its something relatively minor like a blocked fuel filter.

I'm no engine expert - but I can predict some of the question you might get asked... (1) are you getting a spark on each cylinder? (2) are you getting fuel to each cylinder? (3) how do the plugs look? is the gap correct? (4) can you check the compression? (5) is there any sign of water or crap in the fuel or filters/separators?

Bet your glad you have twin engines though - although of course it does make it twice as common that you get a problem.
Old 10 June 2007, 22:00   #7

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
3500 rpm on one engine should be expected, with you only runnning on one engine, prop's pitched for two running engines? Have you ever run with just one and got higher revs? Could you swap the fuel supply to eliminate that issue? On the bright side, at least you have one engine to borrow bits from to eliminate the various components, nothing worse than paying for bits that don't solve problems
Old 10 June 2007, 22:19   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Had the primer bulb gone flat when it conked out? Will it pump up til hard?

(ducks) You did open the breather?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2007, 11:03   #9

The primer bulb was still hard, i don't think that its a fuel problem.
Old 11 June 2007, 12:05   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Plugs fouled up possibly? The right plugs in the motor? I have had that before..
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2007, 16:40   #11

Just dug a bit deeper into the problem and it looks like a carb problem, only one of the inlets open when the throttle is put on compared to the other engine where all three open nicely, don't know yet what this means or where the problem is comeing from but i have something to work on now, will try and post some pictures later to show exactly what i mean, if not i will try and explain myself a bit better, cheers, Tim
Old 11 June 2007, 17:07   #12

Hi all, problem solved i'm pleased to say, it was a broken carburetter link ball that just snaps over a small metal ball which in turn activates all three carbs in synch, sorted! now i'm chuffed to bits
Old 11 June 2007, 21:27   #13

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
PPPPPHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I know that feeling Tim.

Deep sigh of relief.

Chris
Old 11 June 2007, 21:35   #14

Thanks for all the replies guys, and top man nos for giving me the online repair manual, cheers, Tim