Click Here to Login

Old 14 August 2013, 18:42   #1

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
150hp duo prop Yamaha Pro Vmax

Anyone know anything about these engines, good or bad? Trawled this site and found one limited reference from a few years ago. Everything else I can find on Google seems to come from American bass fishing sites so I am guessing that it is an import? Is this anything to worry about from a spares perspective?

Finally if duo prop technology is as good as owners suggest, why isn’t everyone using it?

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, warnings greatly appreciated.

Andy
Old 14 August 2013, 19:41   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Adam younger had it has one I think.

Adam on here?
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2013, 06:56   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
RIBnet Forums - View Profile: Adam Younger
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2013, 07:45   #4

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Hi

We have exactly the same engine on a Ribtec and it seems to be fine. The engine components are (I believe) standard Yam parts , so you should have no probs there. However, the gearbox is the different part. We are lucky enough to have a spare engine for parts, so I cant tell you how easy it would be to get a spare gearbox.

As to duo-prop pro's and cons? Well my understanding of this engine (from what I've been told by engineers) is that the second pro is actually not "driven", but spins in the vortex from the first prop. This is said to improve the performance - but I'll leave it to much cleverer people to explain why.

Regards

Steve
Old 15 August 2013, 07:52   #5

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Thanks Guys. I know Adam as I bought some seats from him last year, might drop him a mail.

Andy
Old 24 September 2013, 06:31   #6

Length: no boat
Engine: 135Hp 2stroke
MMSI: 3596
Hi, I’ve only had my 99 model 150 Vmax TRP for 5 months now, it was paired with a Ribeye 725s from new, all I can say is the motor and TRP has been fantastic from the 6-8 times I’ve been out this year.
If I’m correct the only difference is the Pro been a fuel injected version I think? Other than that the motor will be the same, I had a Merc 135HP V6 up until now as my main motor so going to the 150 wasn’t a big step but it does use more fuel, the only things I notice between the two motors are how quiet the Vmax is even at full throttle it just sounds like a turbine over the v6 Merc sounding like a race boat, also the Vmax just jumps to life from a standing start, but this could be my boat design helping as I’ve never had this setup before, as for the TRP and steering you wouldn’t think you have a Prop on the back, it’s so smooth. The only 2 problems I have are cold starting takes a good 5/10 turns for her to fire but after that you can stop and start all day on the one turn, this could just be my motor or the carbs but the Merc will sit all year and start on 1 or 2 turns. The other problem been in rough seas the TRP wants to jump up out of the water on to the plane, I can’t get a happy medium without the boat nose Been skywards, but this could just be the boat design been a sports Rib.. Here is a short clip from the other week J