Old 16 August 2011, 21:55   #1

Town: clifden
Boat name: outbound
Make: avon 6m\ osprey 6,25
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard suzi df140
06 etec 150 compression

hi folks. anyone know the compression numbers for an etec 150, i ve one here and all cylinders are reading about 60 psi and its not the gauge , engine is running but with a faulty injector but was checking the comp to be sure and the numbers frightened me, any ideas, thanks
Old 16 August 2011, 22:00   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan-ber View Post
hi folks. anyone know the compression numbers for an etec 150, i ve one here and all cylinders are reading about 60 psi and its not the gauge , engine is running but with a faulty injector but was checking the comp to be sure and the numbers frightened me, any ideas, thanks
Might have better luck over on the Etec Owners Group forum. A number of us ribnetters with etecs are also members over there.
Old 16 August 2011, 22:05   #3

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
Hi
Did you have the throttle wide open, you need this so as to not restrict the amount of air flowing into the engine while doing the compression test, make sure that the kill cord has been removed. 1) so you don't electrocute yourself and 2) you don't damage the coils or the ECU.
Hope this helps
Ian

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2011, 22:16   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Austin View Post
, make sure that the kill cord has been removed. 1) so you don't electrocute yourself and 2) you don't damage the coils or the ECU.
Hope this helps
Ian
I would point out that certainly ours and I think all etecs still fire with no kill cord.
Old 16 August 2011, 22:17   #5

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
I would point out that certainly ours and I think all etecs still fire with no kill cord.
Old 16 August 2011, 22:47   #6

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
what is the point of the kill cord then, or is it one of them that will run while the key is held in the start position and stops when you let the key go.

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2011, 23:23   #7

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Austin View Post
what is the point of the kill cord then, or is it one of them that will run while the key is held in the start position and stops when you let the key go.
It's a saftey feature that allows a crew member to restart the outboard should the helmsperson gets a dunking with the kill cord still attached to the leg.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2011, 23:25   #8

etec compression

thanks guys but no direct answers, throttle fully open , you cant kill cord an etec, weird buts thats the way they have them, i ju st removed t plug leads , have been on t etec owners group looking but again no direct discussion on t compression figures its as if its a big secret one guy mentions 127 psi and the moderator s answer is quote no direct figures yet, had it plugged in last wk and guess what a perfect bill of health after a 150 mile drive no codes emm updated brilliant , this wk injector gone down and compression seems low, its a joke this thing is just like t rudes of old when they go they go and then they stop and its all over until they decide they want too start again, when its running the owner wont turn it off at sea incase it wont start again and seemingly it a common prob according to the etec owners site, i d love too know t answer on the comp figures though.
Old 16 August 2011, 23:27   #9
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower

It's a saftey feature that allows a crew member to restart the outboard should the helmsperson gets a dunking with the kill cord still attached to the leg.
my safety feature is a spare kill cord around the grab handle!

S.
Old 17 August 2011, 00:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
my safety feature is a spare kill cord around the grab handle!

S.
So was mine with my old Yamaha. A mercury I had, had a toggle switch and the cord went over the top, it pulled the switch to off when pulled, but switch could be flicked back to on without the kill cord. With the Evinrudes you just knock the control level back in to neutral and turn the ignition off, then restart the engine like normal.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 17 August 2011, 00:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan-ber View Post
thanks guys but no direct answers, throttle fully open , you cant kill cord an etec, weird buts thats the way they have them, i ju st removed t plug leads , have been on t etec owners group looking but again no direct discussion on t compression figures its as if its a big secret one guy mentions 127 psi and the moderator s answer is quote no direct figures yet, had it plugged in last wk and guess what a perfect bill of health after a 150 mile drive no codes emm updated brilliant , this wk injector gone down and compression seems low, its a joke this thing is just like t rudes of old when they go they go and then they stop and its all over until they decide they want too start again, when its running the owner wont turn it off at sea incase it wont start again and seemingly it a common prob according to the etec owners site, i d love too know t answer on the comp figures though.
I would hazard a guess that if all the cylinders are showing the same pressure, then I doubt there is anything wrong with the compression. Can't think of anything that would make all 6 cylinders show low readings all consistent with each other, apart from a healthy dose of bad luck.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 17 August 2011, 00:21   #12
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I would hazard a guess that if all the cylinders are showing the same pressure, then I doubt there is anything wrong with the compression. Can't think of anything that would make all 6 cylinders show low readings all consistent with each other, apart from a healthy dose of bad luck.
Or a bad gauge.

I'd be tempted to try it on something else to check if it's ok.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2011, 04:57   #13

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
How do you know that an injector has failed? Has it thrown a code?

ee lad, tha can't educate pork
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2011, 07:06   #14

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Mine also restarts with no kill cord. Spare one lives in the console! I'd much rather they were set up this way than be unusable with no cord on board. My old Johnson carb 2 stroke was the same.

Presumably the fact that a 2 stroke works entirely differently from a 4 stroke with valves will mean the compression readings are completely different? I have no idea what to expect though.

I don't know if this is relevant to an E-TEC but a lot of modern automotive engines you MUST NOT pull a spark plug lead off while the engine is running/cranking or there is a very real possibility you will fry the engine ECU. There are dire warnings about this in some workshop manuals.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2011, 09:11   #15

06 etec 150 compression

gentlemen, thank you and i love the interset but still no answer, the kill cord thing is a good idea as is t merc type, hightower your right that the fact of them being so even and i agree but 60 psi i d always be looking for at least a 100 and i cross ref the guage on another engine and got 110, so it aint t guage as i said, could it be a low comp engine but that low, now too answer t injector question, you ll hear an engine not running right and when you see petrol in the water at tick over and she s burning a gallon yes a gallon every mile you dont need any codes to tell ya there s something wrong, anyway turns out i ve an open nozzle and shes just pumping the juice through, so thats how you do it. thanks
Old 17 August 2011, 13:43   #16

RIBase
Sounds like crap in the injector holding it open, for it to "fail" in the true sense it would have gone open circuit & logged a code. They can be stripped down & cleaned, though I've never done one. I'm away from home at the mo, when I get back on Friday I can look in the manual & see what the comp figures should be.

Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 17 August 2011, 14:14   #17

06 etec 150 compression

just too follow up the shaft on the nozzle has broken , have opened the injector , but there s only so far you can go. thanks pikey looking forward to it
Old 20 August 2011, 11:01   #18

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Sounds like crap in the injector holding it open, for it to "fail" in the true sense it would have gone open circuit & logged a code. They can be stripped down & cleaned, though I've never done one. I'm away from home at the mo, when I get back on Friday I can look in the manual & see what the comp figures should be.

Wel, slap my thigh & roger me rigid with a market vegetable! the manual doesn't give any compression figures. I can only find one mention of compression in the whole manual & that's in the fault finding section & says "Fault- low compression. Action- check compression" hardly helpful Looks like it might be a dealer job
Old 20 August 2011, 16:00   #19

06 etec 150 compression

thanks p d, its was at t dealer with a miss and he gave it the all clear ha ha, l can conferm that my comp guage was indeed faulty, i cross ref with another again and my numbers are a lot better 125psi on all cylinders, so i m just waiting on the new injector now, then hopefully all will be ok, thanks
Old 22 August 2011, 11:01   #20

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
How much did you have to shell out for the new injector? I have a number of water damaged injectors on mine that will need replaced, been told they are about £400 + VAT!