Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
RYA Safe Trx

Firstly, Happy Easter!

RYA Safe Trx

I downloaded this free app which is designed for small craft. I've got a VHF radio but thought it would be an extra layer of safety, which it is.

Anyway, I was looking at the FAQs within the help section of the app today and I was amazed at how much information is available through the app. Yes, this information is readily available elsewhere. But it's very handy to have it all in one place.
I can thoroughly recommend the app, particularly if you dont have a radio. Peace of mind.
Old 11 April 2020, 23:10   #2

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
My only stumbling block with it is that it requires an emergency contact ashore. If, as a family we go out for the day in the RIB, we don't have an emergency contact ashore. I currently call up the CG and let them know my intended passage. I then call them back up when we arrive.

I don't do this in the Solent due to the amount of traffic about but when I'm off the west coast of Scotland, I like, as Uh Oh says, the added layer of safety.

I think it would be good if you could use the app but nominate the CG as the emergency contact i.e. if you don't check in, the app alerts the CG.

Persistent failure to check in could lead to some sort of sanction.
Old 12 April 2020, 00:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
My only stumbling block with it is that it requires an emergency contact ashore. If, as a family we go out for the day in the RIB, we don't have an emergency contact ashore. I currently call up the CG and let them know my intended passage. I then call them back up when we arrive.

I don't do this in the Solent due to the amount of traffic about but when I'm off the west coast of Scotland, I like, as Uh Oh says, the added layer of safety.

I think it would be good if you could use the app but nominate the CG as the emergency contact i.e. if you don't check in, the app alerts the CG.

Persistent failure to check in could lead to some sort of sanction.
Points taken. And fair comment. But surely you have a friend who could be your emergency contact? Or a neighbour?
I agree that persistant failure to check in could result in a sanction. But wouldnt that be the same with anyone?
If you're like me with a dreadful memory, set a reminder on your phone.
Old 12 April 2020, 06:55   #4

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Sea Dragon
Make: Tornado Viking
Length: 6m +
Engine: 100 Yammy
Safe Trx has replaced and was the natural evolution of the CG66 scheme, as such it does rely on a shore contact to call the Coasties if you are overdue.

I doubt they would be content to accept responsibility for all the overdue boats out there.
Old 12 April 2020, 07:05   #5

Length: 7m +
wow thats the first time ive heard of that app.

The coastguard said about the app "We have already contacted CG66 users to tell them about the switchover to RYA SafeTrx."

Well ive been using cg66 and have yet not been contacted by the coastguard. LOL.

sounds like a nice easy way of uploading your voyage plans, will have to take a look. In terms of locating someone in an emergency, I guess yes some info would be usefull but it may not be great for pin pointing someone, more of a general area, point being many places which dont get any type of mobile phone coveridge in terms of signal or wireless coveridge.

IT doesn't replace the need for a marine vhf radio in my hunmble opinion.

Thanks for the info poster will look at the app.
Old 12 April 2020, 10:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post

The coastguard said about the app "We have already contacted CG66 users to tell them about the switchover to RYA SafeTrx."

Well ive been using cg66 and have yet not been contacted by the coastguard. LOL.

sounds like a nice easy way of uploading your voyage plans, will have to take a look. In terms of locating someone in an emergency, I guess yes some info would be usefull but it may not be great for pin pointing someone, more of a general area, point being many places which dont get any type of mobile phone coveridge in terms of signal or wireless coveridge.

IT doesn't replace the need for a marine vhf radio in my hunmble opinion.

Thanks for the info poster will look at the app.
Thank you. And yes, I agree. It isn't a replacement for a VHF radio. And as others have said it ideally requires a shore contact to raise the alarm if you are overdue.

Nothing is perfect, even vhf radios can have areas of no reception. It's just another layer of safety. And I agree it might not be pin point but would narrow down a search if it was required. And when I think of the area of coastline that is open to me in the South West. (Albeit not at the moment ) its potentially massive. If I can narrow that down to either the Torbay, Plymouth, Dartmouth, or Padstow areas, then that cant be a bad thing.
Old 12 April 2020, 12:59   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Guy,

The CG don’t want to be your shore contact, they have no robust system for following up your traffic reports or potential overdue vessels. The only time they are likely to do this is if you are on transit and report a problem. They welcome your traffic report because if something happens they have your details at their fingertips but please don’t assume that if you are overdue they will automatically come looking.

When the whole family is out on the water I nominate a shore contact who I trust but isn’t with me. They don’t need to be local - I’ve done it sitting in Edinburgh for Willk, my Brother has done it for me in England when I’ve been on West of Scotland. Basically you want someone who is reasonably responsible, and who understands that if the time you said to call them passed call the CG now - not two hours later if they still haven’t heard (obviously after calling your mobile). SafeTrx makes it particularly easy to be that person.
Old 12 April 2020, 18:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Guy,

The CG don’t want to be your shore contact, they have no robust system for following up your traffic reports or potential overdue vessels. The only time they are likely to do this is if you are on transit and report a problem. They welcome your traffic report because if something happens they have your details at their fingertips but please don’t assume that if you are overdue they will automatically come looking.

When the whole family is out on the water I nominate a shore contact who I trust but isn’t with me. They don’t need to be local - I’ve done it sitting in Edinburgh for Willk, my Brother has done it for me in England when I’ve been on West of Scotland. Basically you want someone who is reasonably responsible, and who understands that if the time you said to call them passed call the CG now - not two hours later if they still haven’t heard (obviously after calling your mobile). SafeTrx makes it particularly easy to be that person.
Old 12 April 2020, 19:17   #9

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post

I'm not sure that's CG's fault. I certainly got an email from them. All the marine press have carried articles, every forum I've been on the same.

CG66 is closed to new registrations but your old registration is still on file for the time being.

You said you radio check with them every time you go out. Do you passage plan too?