Old 28 October 2005, 09:14   #21
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens
Any benefits (pm -wise ) for being a Platinum Supporter?
Yeah, you get massive quota of 500! Do you need more?

By the way (and this applies everyone, paid up or not) you can download your PMs before deleting them if you want to keep an archive.

John
Old 29 October 2005, 06:16   #22

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Yeah, cheers for that.

More housework!

missus
Old 31 October 2005, 07:18   #23

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
I agree with Roy Cruse's about charging per post. The richness of this board is down to the variety of posts- whether it be concerned with ribbing or not.

I would have thought that a good solution would be a minimum flat membership fee say 25 quid for everybody??. If you can afford a 20000 quid rib dont tell me that you can't afford 25 quid??. If people want to give more . i,e show their appreciation - all well and good.

Basically this should have happened at the beginning - because to change policy now will be more difficult. I can already see a certain individual who lives near Swansea - already complaining about his "human" rights or right of expression being curtailed. I wonder who...?

Jonathan
Old 31 October 2005, 07:29   #24

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
I was against paying for membership originally and made my thoughts well known ,and me and JK had a bit of a falling out. I had a long chat to Andre at Rib Ex this year and decided after said chat to join as a trade member . It has paid for itself 20 times over already in increased trade. I would recommend it to other schools or those that post on behalf of other schools . I also think those that post a lot or who always seem to be on here should pay . At least that way JK can have some reward for all his efforts .
Old 31 October 2005, 09:23   #25

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
I would have thought that a good solution would be a minimum flat membership fee say 25 quid for everybody??. If you can afford a 20000 quid rib dont tell me that you can't afford 25 quid??. If people want to give more . i,e show their appreciation - all well and good.
Yes, but not everyone on here has a RIB. Some people come on to find out information prior to buying one and may only use the forum a few times.

Surly the main reason for the sucess of the forum is that it is free....

Edit: I can now claim to be the only bronze member....
Old 31 October 2005, 10:26   #26

Surly the main reason for the sucess of the forum is that it is free....

You should understand, that in life - nothing is free!!!!!!. Jk has an excellent site. I am pretty shure JK spends a lot of time on this site- and I cant see that the publicity generated pays for the upkeep. Are you going to work for "free"?

Jonathan
Old 31 October 2005, 11:24   #27

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa
I agree with Roy Cruse's about charging per post.
So, if I tell you how to fit a bailer, I should pay for the pleasure? I think not. Perhaps you should pay for the info.

Old 31 October 2005, 11:29   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
So, if I tell you how to fit a bailer, I should pay for the pleasure? I think not. Perhaps you should pay for the info.

No Jw - I agreed that "posting should be free"
Old 31 October 2005, 11:34   #29

I can't speak on JK's behalf but this is how I see it:

JK set this website up becasue he was interested in RIBs and was odviosly highly competant in running a website. I'm asuming when he set it up he didn't plan for it to turn into a commercial venture (?) Could it be that he enjoys running this website in his spare time....
I disagree that about ur comment that nothing in life is free. Some people actually enjoy doing something for the benifit of others....

PS I have no objection to paying a reasonable amount to use the site. I do however feel that making people pay to join to pay to post will be at the disadvantage of the site. Maybe if compulsery fees were the order of the day that new members could have a year for free then everyone has to pay at least £10 a year. That way newbies could get all the useful info they needed, then get adicted to the site and join.
Old 31 October 2005, 11:35   #30

Eupa, read your first paragraph in post #23.
Old 31 October 2005, 11:37   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
...I disagree that about ur comment that nothing in life is free. Some people actually enjoy doing something for the benifit of others....
Agreed.

But I suppose you could argue that in enjoying it they should pay for their pleasure.

Not my sentiments but you could argue it.
Old 31 October 2005, 13:43   #32
Administrator

Town: Brighton
I can't see any situation where I would want to charge people for reading or posting to the forums. It would be counter productive, and damage the amazing community that has been built up here over the last few years.

I put in quite a lot of time to try to ensure that things run smoothly, and occasionally I lay down the law about what may nor may not be acceptable, but I'm just providing a framework -- the real value is down to everyone that posts here.

The subscriptions work "backwards". If you feel you've had value for money from RIBnet, then I'm very happy to get something back. No pressure, no obligation.

There are a couple of exceptions:

- advertising items for sale, which requires a Silver membership or better
- and anyone using RIBnet to further their business activities

Posting adverts uses a straight forward, automated system. Unless you have a Silver or better membership you can't post in that section. Simple.

Trade members have a bit more slack, and unless I feel that they are taking undue advantage I tend not to hassle them (although individual members do from time to time!). I reckon that for just about any business related to RIBs and ribbing, £100 a year is an very modest contribution for the amount of exposure that can be achieved here. The feedback from trade members is generally good, and I hope that forum members are supporting them in return.

Interesting to see that the much requested cheaper subscription hasn't been a runaway success so far!

John
Old 31 October 2005, 14:21   #33

Interesting to see that the much requested cheaper subscription hasn't been a runaway success so far!

that's the point JK -it seems that most of the members are free ones.

In my books- its a an excellent site and gives a lot of enjoyment.I have a rib and what is nice is that the slightest problem can be solved quickly and easily by reference to your site. Cant say the same eg Garmin and lots of other official web sites.

sincerely

Jonathan
Old 31 October 2005, 20:08   #34

Town: Abersoch and Wirral`
Boat name: Pitch
Make: Zodiac CZ7
Engine: 2x Evinrude 175 Etec
Just an observation

but it seems to me that the members who normally have the most to say (and take greatest advantage of JK's huge generosity) are uncharacteristically silent on this particular subject.

Why's that?

atb

Jon
Old 31 October 2005, 21:40   #35

Town: Winchester
Boat name: H2O
Make: Avon
Engine: 50hp Honda
Lost................

Guys I'm lost here!!!!
What exactly are we talking about I thought this Forum business was free.......

PS I obviously need a nickname...................
Old 01 November 2005, 06:52   #36

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis
but it seems to me that the members who normally have the most to say (and take greatest advantage of JK's huge generosity) are uncharacteristically silent on this particular subject.

Why's that?

atb

Jon
Here's yet another "observation"...Having the most to say, is not the same as having the most to gain.. I mean .. JW is a member, what does he have to gain? He knows more about this 'ere boating business than the rest of us put together, with some obvious exceptions. If he had to pay for the privilege of sharing his knowledge with those who need it, how fair would that be?.... Sorry JW, I’m not trying to tell anyone what you think, just trying to use you as an example…and I don’t mean to imply you are “gobby” either….
Old 01 November 2005, 09:37   #37

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Waters
Guys I'm lost here!!!!
What exactly are we talking about I thought this Forum business was free.......
Steve your right it is, but to help JK out with the costs of hosting Ribnet and the hours involved in developing the site since 1997 a system of voluntary subscriptions was introduced a couple of years ago for ordinary members and a separate membership for trade members. Why pay for something free? well its a small annual fee for the "crack" as those from the the little green and pleasant island in the Eastern Atlantic, would say.

For me its worth the £30 pa for the help and advice I have been given over the years, not to mention the great social events and cruises organised via Ribnet.

Pete
Old 01 November 2005, 11:44   #38

Quote:
For me its worth the £30 pa for the help and advice I have been given over the years, not to mention the great social events and cruises organised via Ribnet.
That is a very valid point; most forums don't arrange social do's and outings. RIBnet is a lot more active than the BIBOA and is cheaper!
Old 01 November 2005, 17:04   #39

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
its a small annual fee for the "crack" as those from the the little green and pleasant island in the Eastern Atlantic, would say.

Pete
Hear hear as usual Cap'n.

Yep , well worth supporting RIBnet.

We've met some truly brill peeps and have been on some amazing trips, not to mention all the advice available ( which may often need a good amount of triangulation before making a decision ).

Kathleen & Paul
Old 01 November 2005, 17:21   #40

Town: Abersoch and Wirral`
Boat name: Pitch
Make: Zodiac CZ7
Engine: 2x Evinrude 175 Etec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Steve your right it is, but to help JK out with the costs of hosting Ribnet and the hours involved in developing the site since 1997 a system of voluntary subscriptions was introduced a couple of years ago for ordinary members and a separate membership for trade members. Why pay for something free? well its a small annual fee for the "crack" as those from the the little green and pleasant island in the Eastern Atlantic, would say.

Pete

Exactly,Yo and well said!

Jon