Old 26 September 2008, 10:48   #21

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Download Firefox and give it a go. It's best not to have Firefox and IE running at the same time.

I had a similar problem a while back which appeared to fix itself with later updates to Windows and IE. Firefox didn't have the problem and was generally a faster and better experience. Version 3 has recently been launched, although, it was followed by two very prompt updates.

Firefox download page.
Old 26 September 2008, 11:13   #22

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
JW...thanks for that. It may be early days but...I've been 'Googling' the problem. Some bright spark talked about doing a modem/router re-boot. There was no explanation why it would be necessary, what would have caused it or why it would fix it. But router re-boot we did...and...so far...

I now need a lie down. Why would my router get the hump with RIBnet? I think I'll stick to boats...
Old 26 September 2008, 12:25   #23
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
A couple of other pieces of (irrelevant?) info...Firstly, I've been searching to find the smiley option...I've found it but even though it's turned on they don't appear. Secondly, I originally registered with my real name as my user id, then, I decided to use a 'handle'. It seems the system doesn't allow you to change your 'handle' and use the same email address so I changed my original user id to use my 'old' email address and created 'Leapy' with my current email address. Anybody know (Mr Administrator?) if this might be screwing things up? I've looked for how to delete my other user id but can't find out how. I emailed RIBnet for advice on how to do all this but didn't get a reply! :-(
I missed that email - sorry. RIBnet has had to take a bit of a back seat for a while as I've been busy with other things. Just about catching up now. As you discovered, you can't change your username - I would have gladly done it for you if I had seen your email.

Having two usernames would not have caused the problems you describe, but I have deleted the old one anyway.

Your account all seems to be fine, and the server is not showing any errors. As other people have suggested it is most likely due to delays between you and the server. It can be difficult to pin down, but I'm currently talking to the hosting company about ways that we might improve things in the future.

John
Old 26 September 2008, 14:08   #24

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
John...thanks for sorting out the user id I've pulled out all my hair and hit the brandy/whisky/beer trying to get my head around the system hanging. In the end, Google came good with (what still appears) to be the solution. I just hope nobody asks me to explain, other than, yet again, pulling the power cord and plugging it back provides the answer!

Like I said earlier, I'm now sticking strictly to the boating

Thanks to all those who sent suggestions
Old 26 September 2008, 15:01   #25

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
JW...thanks for that. It may be early days but...I've been 'Googling' the problem. Some bright spark talked about doing a modem/router re-boot. There was no explanation why it would be necessary, what would have caused it or why it would fix it. But router re-boot we did...and...so far...

I now need a lie down. Why would my router get the hump with RIBnet? I think I'll stick to boats...
some netgear wireless routers have problems running really slow or not connecting, i think its some type of virus associated to netgear routers....as you say, just unplug / replug them back in sometimes cures the problem.