Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Oh I don't keep them here!
Not under the floorboards again, please...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2011, 20:39   #42
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Not under the floorboards again, please...
I was too scared to ask...
Old 11 June 2011, 21:17   #43

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
I dont understand how any one can want to leave the site just cos it looks different ?

Cmon Pete ? Fella .. I use lots of forums that are utter shit compared to this one.. I hear you guys with your aversion to change .. buts ya gotta accept the computin world is all change alla' the time

Your PC or phone is just a communication tool , so use it to do just that and dont stop givin us the craic

(fek me,... I woz offline for a whole 2 hours today but I dug deep and lived with it )
Old 12 June 2011, 01:26   #44
Administrator

Town: Florianopolis, Brazil
Boat name: TBD
Length: no boat
A change like this is a lot like getting a new car, maybe even a newer model of the same car you used to drive. It has all the same buttons, knobs, levers and other stuff but they might be in a slightly shifted location which can throw you off because your habit is taking you to the old place and now you have to go to the new place to get the action done. We understand this can be a PITA and appreciate your feedback.

We plan to do the following but cannot give an ETA at this time.
- Create a lightweight skin that will look a lot like the old RIBnet. Not all features will be supported on the lightweight interface because it would double our maintenance efforts. If someone wants all the bells and whistles they can use the new interface and if they just want the basics then the light weight interface will be fine. Keep in mind that at some point in the future (years a way) we will probably have to upgrade again and the next version of vBulletin 4.x is WAY different then 3.8.x and we might even switch to another software. Those decisions are way in the future so no need to discuss the minutia at this time on the pluses and minuses of each system. The result of that upgrade might be that the lightweight skin will be phased out.

- We will be giving supporters and trade members the option to suppress the Google ads which show up in the posts. We will also be adding a some text above the ad telling the member that they can opt out of seeing those as if they register and logging. We will also be adding a disclaimer (very small text) below the ad stating they are not endorsed by the posters of the site. I'd like to thank the staff for helping find a solution to this so we can continue to offer this service for free to thousands of RIBers and provide some extra perks for the members who help support our community.

- We will be announcing some new features to be rolled out n the near future and soliciting information from you all on how to set them up. The first will be a boat profile where you can post details about your RIB, the systems it has, modifications you have made, where you cruise (with photos). The goal will be to create pages on the site where you can see all the RIBs of a certain manufacturer and also the threads related to those boats creating a "node" where you can find tons of content by manufacturers.

We have a handful of other ideas that would be confusing to describe until he others are setup and you can see how they work. We are making big investments into this community because it's a special place and needs some TLC to take ti to the next level.

Look for more info on the changes in the coming weeks and thanks for your patience while we hammer out these tasks.
Old 12 June 2011, 08:22   #45

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
As a relatively new member of RIBnet and someone who never really has time to discover all the "whistles & bells" that the site has / had, I can't say I like or dislike the changes that much.

However, things do now seem to take an awfully long time to load!!!! Hopefully this will sort itself out sometime soon?

Anyway, can't stop now as I'm off to totally revamp my website - just for the hell of it!
Old 12 June 2011, 09:39   #46

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
There have been a few people who have said that over the years. Don't worry, they were wrong too!
Time to get the axe out lanky!
Old 12 June 2011, 11:53   #47

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
What was wrong with the old setup?
Old 12 June 2011, 11:57   #48

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Wow - a quickcheck back and 5 pages . I never posted anything so 'popular'.

So mods/admin feedback. Its the 80/20 rule for me .....

what we had before did 80% of what we wanted without the crappy 20% ( I dont want to send friend requests, see adverts , multiquote etc in the 'extra 20%) .

Now what I want to be able to do - quickly look from one section to the next , see on the same page if someone is selling a 'thingy' or wants to buy my boat for £1m is several 'click/page loads' . Seconds are years when sat at a PC most tech people know.

What was the 'missing' 20% on the 'old' style is now the 80% .....

We are ribbers - we ( ok I ) dont want too much snazzy stuff . In boating terms you can go from Lymington to Yarmouth in a 40ft cabin artic blue Rib with 1000hp , or a 4m 1979 SR with a 2stroke Yam on the back - yes one means you arrive dry and and with hair in place , the other wet &wind swept but which gives you the biggest smile ???? ( The SR clearly!!!)

I dont logon everytime I look at the site so the 'option' to unselect hings is not for me - I dont want to select to opt out ..I want to select to opt in ...
Old 12 June 2011, 12:02   #49

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Nothing! New Owners, New Idea's

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 12:06   #50
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
I dont logon everytime I look at the site so the 'option' to unselect hings is not for me - I dont want to select to opt out ..I want to select to opt in ...
Fair enough. If you don't want to log in then I can appreciate that you're not going to like the changes.

Unfortunately that is the way it's going to be, so if you want to use the site you'll either need to log in or put up with the guest view.

I'd suggest logging in, but you'll need to decide what's best for you. It will be a shame if you don't stick around though.
Old 12 June 2011, 12:16   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
It was OK, but was starting to fall apart behind the scenes. The previous software version isn't supported any more which left the site vulnerable.

There are various new features, like the gallery, that require the update and it was also looking a bit long in the tooth and was way overdue for tidying up.

A little while ago I was all set to migrate to IPB instead of vBulletin. Just think how much fun that would have been!
Old 12 June 2011, 12:18   #52

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
you are better off now me thinks, what do you think of my smilies
Old 12 June 2011, 12:22   #53
Administrator

I think I might turn them off again . . .
Old 12 June 2011, 12:58   #54

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Old 12 June 2011, 13:17   #55

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Old 12 June 2011, 15:01   #56

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
TBH everyone has had a service available for free for years. Nothing in life is free, certainly not forever. If john k did sell, good on him, he ran it for free for years and it probably got too big for him, fair enough. Sell it on to someone who can take it to the next step for everyone. It will cost, but thats life, so either we all pay membership or we accept adverts etc to some degree.

The whole point of life, like ribbing is to try new things and experience new stuff. If people are really that perturbed by change, how did they find they liked ribs? Do they just sit on their mooring or actually venture to new places.

If they are that bothered, go and set up their own site!!

It's the age old problem, do things for people for free and all they do is point out faults and moan. I'd like to say thanks to JK and will continue to support it throughout changes including any problems on the way.

The cruise we had with 20 boats at Easter was testament to the site and how it's grown. Such fun and safe group boating is what it's about and the site facilitated it.

IMHO it's an excellent site historically and I am all for going with Amy changes the site wishes to make as it evolves.
Old 12 June 2011, 15:03   #57

Town: midlands
Boat name: robeena
Make: honwave
Engine: twatsu 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
TBH everyone has had a service available for free for years. Nothing in life is free, certainly not forever. If john k did sell, good on him, he ran it for free for years and it probably got too big for him, fair enough. Sell it on to someone who can take it to the next step for everyone. It will cost, but thats life, so either we all pay membership or we accept adverts etc to some degree.

The whole point of life, like ribbing is to try new things and experience new stuff. If people are really that perturbed by change, how did they find they liked ribs? Do they just sit on their mooring or actually venture to new places.

If they are that bothered, go and set up their own site!!

It's the age old problem, do things for people for free and all they do is point out faults and moan. I'd like to say thanks to JK and will continue to support it throughout changes including any problems on the way.

The cruise we had with 20 boats at Easter was testament to the site and how it's grown. Such fun and safe group boating is what it's about and the site facilitated it.

IMHO it's an excellent site historically and I am all for going with Amy changes the site wishes to make as it evolves.
Amen to that .
TIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 16:47   #58
Administrator

Thanks HUMBER P4VWL (and TIMO and the others who have chipped in with a bit of support)
Old 12 June 2011, 16:59   #59

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Keep in mind that at some point in the future (years a way) we will probably have to upgrade again and the next version of vBulletin 4.x is WAY different then 3.8.x and we might even switch to another software.
I think you should just have gone 4.x now ..youre all but there with the side bars etc .. I know its early incarnation was carp, but its really quite good now ive just gone to 4.1.4

But I can imagine the hoo ha that would have caused OMG !

As usual though .. once you start using it you begin to appreciate it, and its advancements
Old 12 June 2011, 18:41   #60

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
On the whole I like the new site with all the 'bugs', it will take time but worth it. What I don't like is under this site I cannot remain 'signed-in' as I did in the old site and that annoys me, I have logged out using your link John but it has still timed me out

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote