Old 22 August 2015, 20:31   #121

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
There's nothing that needs changing John IMV. We need the characters, we need the people that make thousands of posts just as much as we need the lurkers that post occasionally. The site is an encyclopedia mixed up with banter. The occasional insult with subsequent reprimand is needed to make sure everyone knows the limits and maintain civility.

I maybe don't post often these days as my focus in life has changed, but there's no doubt I'd be back if I had Rib questions to be answered and I still keep a watchful eye over any cruises heading my way. The format suits me perfectly and I can make my own decisions on who to ignore.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2015, 20:44   #122
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
Did ANY of this actually make sense??
I'm not sure that analogies work very well when they're stretched this far, but I think I get the rough gist of your argument.

Thanks for taking the time to write it all, I share your frustration with small screens and but thumbs. In the meantime, anyone got contacts at the BBC who might like a script for a new soap?
Old 22 August 2015, 22:27   #123

Well I think Anchor man's theory works.

BUT they aren't cops they are bouncer's.

Anyway - what we've seen recently is regulars getting arsey. The bouncer stepping in and saying 'Oy calm down and play nice so we don't have to ban you' and then the locals saying 'Sod this, I don't like the bouncer's I'm away down to that new Weatherspoons that's opened up. But they drop by the old place now and then to see if the bouncer has been sacked yet. When he hasn't and some tourist comes by and sags 'do you sell beer in this pub' and gets a wee bit if cheek back saying 'its a pub, dya think we sell beer' the old timer then chips in and says to anyone who will listen... 'That's exactly why I go down to Weatherspoons these days - far less abuse from the staff" then another local says "what you going to Weatherspoons for its warm beer and no atmosphere blah blah"
Old 23 August 2015, 07:44   #124

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
You can't please all the people all the time, old saying and very true. Equally true is if you don't refresh your relationships they will wither as some of the people you pleased once gain new interests or perspectives and leave.

Ribnet is what it's always been, a collection of interested people with a shared passion who sometimes want help, or want to share their wisdom and experience to the first group

For me it has and I hope will always pride that service, the rest is just handbags flying as folk try to bend it to their will.

And for the record I think the mods to an excellent job that is rarely thanked, having the time and patience to deal with keyboard warriors is commendable 👍

Sent from my iPad using my finger
Old 23 August 2015, 15:16   #125

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Improving RIBnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post

And for the record I think the mods to an excellent job that is rarely thanked, having the time and patience to deal with keyboard warriors is commendable 👍

Sent from my iPad using my finger

You mean like Herman the German

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2015, 21:06   #126

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
I can't remember if a question was asked on this thread about welcoming members on here? But if it was and no one else has put their hand up then I will do it if no one else has already volunteered.
Old 24 August 2015, 18:34   #127

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
I can't remember if a question was asked on this thread about welcoming members on here? But if it was and no one else has put their hand up then I will do it if no one else has already volunteered.
Alex beat me to it but I also would be willing to take on the task as well
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2015, 18:40   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Alex beat me to it but I also would be willing to take on the task as well

You do it dude, I thought that it was a great idea, I remember when I joined. I used to ask the Mrs to read my posts before I posted lol.

I can cover if you are away
Old 24 August 2015, 18:52   #129

RIBase
Quote:
You do it dude, I thought that it was a great idea, I remember when I joined. I used to ask the Mrs to read my posts before I posted lol.

I can cover if you are away
Okay Alex, but have to wait for the 'officials' but on the understanding that you cover if I am away from'base'.
Cheers
Billy
Old 24 August 2015, 19:12   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Okay Alex, but have to wait for the 'officials' but on the understanding that you cover if I am away from'base'.
Cheers
Billy
You're the dude
Old 25 August 2015, 14:01   #131

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Flipping heck.

Now, I should add that as I grabbed a swatch at this thread over a quick lunch I stopped reading at post 65, so I will apologise in advance if I am digging up stuff that everybody hugged on back in post 2981*.....

For those of you who may not be aware, my boat is a 5M Humber with a 60Hp that I suspect in an fleabay sales battle would make less than some of the newer SIBS on here). If you want to feel good about your rib, come for a cruise with me! I usually volunteer to be the pier fender on cruises coz my toobs are so trashed a bit more wear on the bump strip will not be noticed)

Some of you have seen my fine craft. Do feel free to confirm I'm not just being PC for the sake of ribnet. I can assure you we don't all own 10M £50K ribs.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
Seems that so many "regulars" who used to post comments have buggered off or just lurk now leaving the same select few to answer people's questions everytime.
Not quite. Some of us are just REALLY busy. I've had the boat out once this year , and had a short shaft gearbox for my other museum piece (1974 Johnson) sitting waiting to be swapped for the best part of 3 months, and a 4HP needing a new shear pin for a similar time. Trust me, alack of baoting or Ribnet is nothing to do with choice......

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
That isn't to say that it's necessarily a bad thing though, and it could probably be used better. Would anyone like to volunteer to be part of an informal welcome committee to make sure that introduction posts get a timely response?
I do try to say hello, but as I get about 6 mins whilst waiting for a chinese to be cooked in a shop with a "G" level mobile signal once every 3 weeks or so I tend to aim straight for the engines section where hopefully I can help someone.... (and I think I did recently?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
My opinion for what it's worth is that as RIBnet has been running longer it has evolved more. It's still an information mine, just do a search!
Back on the home PC I have 4 of my old posts bookmarked. Why? Coz I got fed up re -typing them! Now a simple click. (ha, and of course now nobody asks those questions.....)

I do think it's a good place, I also think the "keyboard shield" does rather increase the level of some of the comments / replies, and I can honestly say all the Ribnet people I have met in pubs, on beaches, in the middle of the Clyde, Forth, etc have all been really friendly & helpful. (BANTER ALERT!!!!) .... Even those with plastic tubs!

The other observation I have is that how many of us are running on Ethanol based substances whilst on Ribnet? I know I usually am on whilst chilling with a beer or glass of wine at the end of an evening. (Ha, apart from now when i should be working.....) I have a mental rule that says "be careful when under the afluence of incohol", but how many are carried away in a heated discussion? A bit like (back to the pub analogy) Guess who are the ones that end up beating each other up physically? - the p!ssed ones!

Cliquyes are human nature - just do what you did at school - ignore them!

So let's all just keep it cool, and remember we are all ultimately here for one reason - we have an inflatabe boat (or boats!) that burn fuel.

* Random number for comedy effect

Edit: I'll also try & keep an eye on the "hello" section......
Old 25 August 2015, 19:13   #132
Administrator

Improving RIBnet

Quote:
Thanks whisper and Jambo for stepping up. I don't really want to have someone welcoming people because it's their "job", but if people can just keep an eye on new threads in the intros section and say hi that would be great.
Old 25 August 2015, 19:20   #133

RIBase
Okay John no problem I'll continue what I've tried to do since I joined the RN ie if I notice a first post from someone then I will answer on a welcoming manner and if appropriate point them in the correct direction.
Cheers
J

Old 25 August 2015, 19:27   #134
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Thanks whisper and Jambo for stepping up. I don't really want to have someone welcoming people because it's their "job", but if people can just keep an eye on new threads in the intros section and just say hi that would be great.
I think it's fantastic Boss - you couldn't get better RIBnet Ambassadors. Jambo & Whisper - if you find threads in the "Welcome" forum that would be better split or posted elsewhere - just PM me a link and I'll make it so.

Thanks guys!
Old 25 August 2015, 19:54   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
you couldn't get better RIBnet Ambassadors. Jambo & Whisper
Who are you? And what have you done with Willk

I've really enjoyed my time on here, I remember watching a video when I first started ribbing, it was a load of ribs on a cruise near Cardigan, West Wales. They went into a cave and someone hit their SS prop, it was all done to different music like james bond and all that. As soon as I watched that video I was hooked for life...

I've never found the video since
Old 25 August 2015, 19:58   #136
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Who are you? And what have you done with Willk
I'm still me. You're cruising with Jambo so you get a free pass. That said, don't push yer luck...
Old 25 August 2015, 20:04   #137

Quote:
I'm still me. You're cruising with Jambo so you get a free pass. That said, don't push yer luck...
Old 25 August 2015, 20:19   #138

RIBase
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks guys appreciate the sentiment. Whisper and myself will do the necessary in our usual inimitable manner!!

Old 25 August 2015, 20:46   #139
Administrator

And the challenge now for everyone else is to beat you two to it!
Old 25 August 2015, 20:49   #140

Quote:
And the challenge now for everyone else is to beat you two to it!
And so it should be