Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
What's RHIB's?

Nasher

I asked that same question a few days ago. It's the FB group that has started up because they don't like RN

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2015, 18:16   #22

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Oh, facebook, that explains why I don't know what it is.

I didn't realise so many 14 year olds could afford a RIB.

Nasher.
Old 18 August 2015, 18:54   #23
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
I asked that same question a few days ago. It's the FB group that has started up because they don't like RN

I was struggling with "RN" bloody text speak
Old 18 August 2015, 20:25   #24

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Who whined about what?
Gawd! Back to sleep Nozzer.
Old 18 August 2015, 20:27   #25

Length: 3m +
While I should probably just let this go... I'm wondering how the FB'ers who are on RHIBs want to be described when someone asks the question what RHIBs is... ...it appears this all blew up (YET AGAIN!) from my slightly flippant description of them being the guys who took their ball home when they got told off for mis-behaving in the sailing club bar. Clearly we could just describe them as "the" facebook group or "a" facebook group but people are bound to ask the question since Nasher and Jambo both have in the last fortnight. I don't dispute that it was meant as a bit of a dig when I said it. I'd be interested to know if people either who RHIBs post or not think a mod/admin should have intervened and either deleted it/edited it or served me a ban.

Now while I'm on one -

RHIBs is a stupid abbreviation for the group. Its like me setting up a face book group called Cars And Roadsters and then referring to it as CARs and being confused why people think I'm talking about Cars...

Pikey makes the point that you don't expect the Pub Landlord to let you slag his pub off. In fact the Landlord and the Bar Maids (What a visionary description for the Mods!) do allow it relatively freely. From what I've heard the only time they chuck people out the pub is when they either have come in and bashed the bar stools up (aka hackers & spammers) or come in and do things that are definitively wrong like being out and out racist. A few people may be suggested to head home before having another pint and a few may be given some words of advice that if they don't like the music there are plenty of other bars around. Few are barred from what I've heard.

Mods I've only met one - and he can be a prat in real life as well as on-line. Just my opinion - rest assured I've told him! I somehow doubt there is a queue of willing volunteers to take abuse for maintaining or not maintaining a list of virtual abuse. There is an expectation from the "public" that because these guys have a prefect badge they should be playing by squeeky clean rules. What should John do if his current Mods get to the end of 2 year tenure and he has no replacements? The only solution I've ever seen is to have secret Mods. They post under their own username and under a different Mod1, Mod2 etc username when Modding. That means no-one has unrealistic expectations of a Mod behaving at some superior level. But it does in my experience make Mods less accountable for their actions, and when things do / don't happen for regular posters people start to figure out maybe they are the mods anyway and just moan about unfairness.

il corvo 73 views and no responses - I think in part that shows the size of the forum and volume of people viewing posts. But while you said hello - you didn't ask any questions so a response was far less likely. There aren't huge numbers of people in York - they were the ones most likely to respond to a hello from York.

clique There was a definite Solent Clique going on. People who know each other from face to face meeting off the Forum. As someone who has met a grand total of 2 other posters on this Forum (both from before the internet existed) it can sometimes feel like a lonely place when people who all know each other start: having a go at others / hi fiving / back patting etc. It is therefore probably very excluding for those who come on and don't get the in jokes, don't get (still not sure I do!) why Mollers is permanently picked on.

Competitive Spirit reverting to the sailing club bar analogy... show me a sailing club bar who didn't like a bit of banter about their club being better* than the club along the coast. I think it might actually be necessary for a club to survive to understand its identity. So RHIBs FBers like to chat more in the bar and be everyone's friend, Rib.Net Posters like to get into technicalities and aren't afraid to admit people might not all like them. You don't need to be everything to everyone and trying to be might be the downfall of many clubs.

*Their own measure of better: technically, friendly, cheaper, exclusivity, more olympians, more training, more socials - all depends how you measure better...
Old 18 August 2015, 20:41   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
I was struggling with "RN" bloody text speak
The written word is a mystery to you.
Old 18 August 2015, 20:47   #27
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
It is therefore probably very excluding for those who come on and don't get the in jokes, don't get (still not sure I do!) why Mollers is permanently picked on.
Seriously? You don't know?!?

He's "fair game" - aka the forum Chew Toy. It's his penance for refusing to be Banned. Don't sweat it though - he's made of more hardy stuff than us sensitive sorts.

Old 18 August 2015, 20:52   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
.. why Mollers is permanently picked on.

Old 18 August 2015, 20:53   #29
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Chin up - just the remainder of a life sentence left!
Old 18 August 2015, 21:04   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Chin up - just the remainder of a life sentence left!
If I could find RIHB, I'd be off. They sound such I nice caring bunch.
Old 18 August 2015, 21:07   #31

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
well they are "better" than us and they need every one to know that...
Old 19 August 2015, 00:19   #32

Town: Toronto
Make: Highfield
Engine: Yamaha 115XB
My 2 cents worth on the subject. I posted in the hello, and got some immediate hellos and feedback. some folks asking if I know Stoo since he's from my neck of the woods, and others specifically to my request in the post about feedback on ribs for diving, etc. Very useful suggestions with people directing me to others also into diving.

In terms of sarcasm etc, I respectfully observe that as a Canadian most of the local dialect sails right over my head! sure there are some snarky comments, but its a group, and as somebody observed written text without intonation and body language can be a challenge.

I've briefly checked out the facebook group, but as was observed the timeline nature is a PITA to do much more than keep up on current issues so I don't find the format of it so useful.

I think as John has suggested if people are uncomfortable they can PM him directly. So far I've seen nothing to suggest that he would not tackle poor behaviour from a specific interaction, and I would suggest that this is the best way through it. Army taught me a long time ago praise in public, discipline in private.

As to the suggestion that admins have a fixed 2 year term, the challenge with such a public forum is you aren't likely to find folks who will keep things up on an ongoing basis once you've kicked the first round of volunteers to the curb Perhaps though, and I assume this would be perfectly acceptable, if somebody wants to nominate a person as admin (or volunteer) they can approach John directly?

Personally I have very little free time outside of family and work, so finding a resource like Rib.net really helped me with my purchasing decision. other sites like Hull Truth also gave me lots of info. If I grow tired of behaviours on a particular site I could try and fix it (legitimate option if I am invested in the community) or carry on to a better forum. I think if you want to fix it, then take advantage of John's offer to make suggestions, or quietly carry on and leave those who do enjoy the forum to continue.

end rant.
Old 19 August 2015, 01:26   #33

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDiver View Post
end rant.
Wow. That was a really 'Canadian' rant.
Old 19 August 2015, 12:37   #34
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
Perhaps we can talk about the word hypocrite.

Mr il corvo, the last bastion of politeness and good manners showed up to cr@p on somebody's new rib which they put a lot of time, thought, and effort to make it what they wanted because mr il corvo doesn't think the HP rating is high enough on it, "its a shame that a rib of that size is rated to such a low hp (mine is way bigger)" but enjoy your new boat.

You mean the issue here is post like that? I'd say you are correct, the person who posted that is a twit.

Jason

Il corvo took great offence at this post, and responded abusively. As a result he's having a bit of time out.
Old 19 August 2015, 13:56   #35

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcowilliam View Post
why dont all the member on ribnet and all the members of rhibs book a weekend camping trip on anglesey and have fight to settle it once and for all ;-)

Which side are you on big fella because when the handbags start flying around I'm standing behind you

B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2015, 14:43   #36

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
You know where all this is going to end up don't you? A new "super forum"......RHIB.net

Old 19 August 2015, 15:57   #37

Town: livingston
Boat name: the massive
Make: valiant
Engine: honda BF115
MMSI: 235092322
RIBase
New Rib Forum

It is being suggested that a RHIB forum be established on the back of the success of the FB page. I know I can only speak as a mere modest contributer to both formats but the situation is not good. I firmly believe that both the FB page and Ribnet should exist as mutually beneficial entities and I would not like to choose which forum etc. It feels very political and if we were all in the same room the bickering would be stopped. Can we make efforts on both camps (and yes that is where we are) to post on FB and Ribnet and keep it friendly. Forget past comments and move forward together as ribbers.
Here endeth the lesson....
Old 19 August 2015, 15:58   #38

Town: Bognor Regis
Boat name: Great Bear
Make: Ribtec
Engine: 150HP HPDI
MMSI: 235104612
RIBase
More criticism about RHIBs, Shinyshoe you just keep proving the point over constantly putting another group down, I promote Ribnet on my boat by sticker and flag, also on the back of my tow vehicle, but don't fall out the pram because you got the poor attitude toward other ex-members or opinions. May I suggest you have a cruise with us and then make your decision 👍👍Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1439999876.516579.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	107948

www.iesltd.net
poulner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2015, 15:59   #39

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack101 View Post
It is being suggested that a RHIB forum be established on the back of the success of the FB page. I know I can only speak as a mere modest contributer to both formats but the situation is not good. I firmly believe that both the FB page and Ribnet should exist as mutually beneficial entities and I would not like to choose which forum etc. It feels very political and if we were all in the same room the bickering would be stopped. Can we make efforts on both camps (and yes that is where we are) to post on FB and Ribnet and keep it friendly. Forget past comments and move forward together as ribbers.
Here endeth the lesson....
Looks like you just startin it again!
Old 19 August 2015, 16:08   #40

I haven't got pseudonym and can't understand why you need one to hide your identity , I found ribnet to be a little high and mighty , I've only got a small rib and felt I didn't have the right credentials to be on here , I joined RHIB and I have since been on a cruise and met about 150 new people I've never met before and was made welcome , I was helped In every way and did 90 miles , all along the ethos was a great cruise , motto we never leave anyone behind I felt part of a team welcomed with help and friendship , I'm going to take part in other cruises and I've been able to ask technical question and sometimes silly ones and always had. warm friendly response , I do look at ribnet and find lots of advice but I've never seen the comradeship
that I see on RHIB every time a forum is raised a cruise date I smile because I'll never forget strangers coming together as one , touchy feely
has been mentioned , personally I find that's great because I will never forget the bond that's been formed between members of RHIB .