Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 19 March 2015, 03:51   #1
Member
 
Anchorhandler's Avatar
 
Country: France
Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 789
Flying the flag for RIBnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Well there is a big difference between say having to carry a life jacket, and having to be qualified if the person you are quoting wasn't able to define or differentiate those then it sounds like he is just making noise (either because it's what he wants to do or what his audience want to hear).

Why don't you invite the person who said it's coming to post on here so I can tell him he's talking pish directly?
Haahaa.... Flying the flag for Rib.net once again!!

Poor Ian was merely passing on information and expressing an opinion based on knowledge he acquired by ACTUALLY attending the meeting with the MCA and look what happens!!

No wonder there was a thread not too long ago mentioning the fact that many people had "left"!!

Simon

Sent from my Experia Ultra europallet using Rib.net
__________________

__________________
C'est pas l'homme qui prend la mer, c'est la mer qui prend l'homme....
Anchorhandler is offline  
Old 19 March 2015, 05:50   #2
Member
 
Ovey's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 615
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
Haahaa.... Flying the flag for Rib.net once again!!

Poor Ian was merely passing on information and expressing an opinion based on knowledge he acquired by ACTUALLY attending the meeting with the MCA and look what happens!!

No wonder there was a thread not too long ago mentioning the fact that many people had "left"!!

Simon

Sent from my Experia Ultra europallet using Rib.net
Hear hear!!
__________________

__________________
There's weather out there - must be time to RIB!

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline  
Old 19 March 2015, 05:58   #3
Member
 
boristhebold's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,612
Many of us on here are interested to hear about it so dont give up, alternatively post to the facebook site on ribs where many ribbers have now gone.

It is an interesting subject.
__________________
boristhebold is offline  
Old 19 March 2015, 07:31   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
Haahaa.... Flying the flag for Rib.net once again!!

Poor Ian was merely passing on information and expressing an opinion based on knowledge he acquired by ACTUALLY attending the meeting with the MCA and look what happens!!
but he wasn't really passing on "information" he was effectively sharing a rumour, from a "source". If people want to share rumours that's great, but they can't really be surprised if others question the credibility. I mean you might even think that posting no information about a known controversial topic (and seemingly having done nothing to ask the obvious Questions) was just trolling!

Quote:
No wonder there was a thread not too long ago mentioning the fact that many people had "left"!!
You do realise the irony with those sorts of threads is the people who complain are still here?
__________________
Poly is offline  
Old 19 March 2015, 07:41   #5
Member
 
Ovey's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 615
RIBase
Generally we are here to get the occasional answer to questions that we might not get elsewhere. But I (and others, it seems) don't post half as much as we used to because certain members go out of their way to be belligerent in answering "good faith" posts.

It makes it worse when these members are "Admins", who are then backed up by the site owner despite it being the reason for people posting less.
__________________
There's weather out there - must be time to RIB!

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline  
Old 19 March 2015, 07:42   #6
Member
 
telcowilliam's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Caernarfon
Boat name: Bay Bar Dos
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235092178
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovey View Post
Generally we are here to get the occasional answer to questions that we might not get elsewhere. But I (and others, it seems) don't post half as much as we used to because certain members go out of their way to be belligerent in answering "good faith" posts.

It makes it worse when these members are "Admins", who are then backed up by the site owner despite it being the reason for people posting less.
yes +1 on that
__________________
There is no bigger hole than the sea within which to throw your money.....anon
telcowilliam is offline  
Old 19 March 2015, 11:27   #7
Member
 
steco1958's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 688
Less post = less maintenance/storage = less £££££

simples
__________________
steco1958 is offline  
Old 19 March 2015, 12:11   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by steco1958 View Post
Less post = less maintenance/storage = less £££££

simples
less posts = less advert revenue
__________________
Starovich is offline  
Old 19 March 2015, 12:53   #9
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovey View Post
Generally we are here to get the occasional answer to questions that we might not get elsewhere. But I (and others, it seems) don't post half as much as we used to because certain members go out of their way to be belligerent in answering "good faith" posts.

It makes it worse when these members are "Admins", who are then backed up by the site owner despite it being the reason for people posting less.
C2 RIBS passed on something he had heard which is fair enough. Poly and others have said that they think it's unlikely to actually be true and given their reasons. It all seems reasonably polite to me, and I certainly don't see anyone being attacked.

If people feel that they don't want to post on RIBnet in case someone disagrees with them then that's a shame, but it is OK for people to disagree. If we all thought the same as each other there wouldn't be much discussion going on.

It has always been this way. Have a look at the posting guidelines: http://www.rib.net/forum/f31/general...ines-4760.html

They have been the same for over a decade, and have been around a lot longer than most of the people posting in this thread!
__________________
John Kennett is offline  
Old 19 March 2015, 14:38   #10
Member
 
Ovey's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 615
RIBase
Future for Boating

John, there's a difference between disagreeing and being downright rude about it. As an Admin I would have thought it prudent to be cleaner than clean, not to be the person guilty of being belligerent regularly. And it does seem that you, as site owner, back that person every time without ever acknowledging that he is being harsh to people who are genuinely trying to help others or seek advice.

It is a shame because whenever he decides to be helpful, he is just that!

C2 RIBS has taken this post elsewhere and has continued it in an environment that he won't get shot down for passing on information, an environment that RIBNet used to be itself.


Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
__________________
There's weather out there - must be time to RIB!

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline  
Old 19 March 2015, 15:01   #11
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,001
I don't consider Poly's posts to be rude. In fact I very much appreciate the time and effort he takes to make his arguments so well considered.

The mods are volunteers. They are entitled to their own opinions and provided they stick to the same guidelines as everyone else they are free to express them.

I don't really know why we're having this conversation again. You have been heard, but it's clear that RIBnet doesn't suit everyone which is OK and probably inevitable. The Facebook group is obviously working well and if some people are happier there then that's OK too.
__________________
John Kennett is offline  
Old 19 March 2015, 15:29   #12
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,863
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I don't consider Poly's posts to be rude. In fact I very much appreciate the time and effort he takes to make his arguments so well considered.
He's a rude wee get Boss. You know it and I know it. You only keep him on for two reasons:
1. He can call out a bullshitter quicker than any man I know.
2. Saves you having to do it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
The mods are volunteers. They are entitled to their own opinions and provided they stick to the same guidelines as everyone else they are free to express them.
Volunteer? IIRC, I was pressganged! While I may be entitled to my own opinions, at this juncture I feel that it would be undiplomatic to express them. That and my language might stray to the Unparliamentary.


Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I don't really know why we're having this conversation again. You have been heard, but it's clear that RIBnet doesn't suit everyone which is OK and probably inevitable. The Facebook group is obviously working well and if some people are happier there then that's OK too.
I do Boss - it's because you're more diplomatic than they give you credit for...

__________________
.
willk is offline  
Old 19 March 2015, 15:31   #13
Member
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,023
Who's thrown a bone in this time
__________________
mick is offline  
Old 19 March 2015, 15:49   #14
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Wow things have changed around here!
__________________
chewy is offline  
Old 19 March 2015, 15:50   #15
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,756
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Who's thrown a bone in this time
Not sure really, bit of a storm in a handbag. Somebody took umbrage that someone elses post didn't get a ringing endorsement, balls got taken home, complaints about overbearing admins abusing their positions yada yada....

Personally, if I wasn't happy here I'd feck off. Not hang around hopingwaiting for another round of abuse & humiliation, unless I liked it
But then again, if I didn't get offended at every slight, what would I have talk about on BaceFook
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline  
Old 19 March 2015, 15:53   #16
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,863
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Wow things have changed around here!
Howdy Oldtimer! Yeah, we do Touchy-Feely now . Tell me, is JSP still on the go? I often wonder....
__________________
.
willk is offline  
Old 19 March 2015, 15:56   #17
Member
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Not sure really, bit of a storm in a handbag. Somebody took umbrage that someone elses post didn't get a ringing endorsement, balls got taken home, complaints about overbearing admins abusing their positions yada yada....

Personally, if I wasn't happy here I'd feck off. Not hang around hopingwaiting for another round of abuse & humiliation, unless I liked it
But then again, if I didn't get offended at every slight, what would I have talk about on BaceFook

Ah rite some office walla wi nowt better to do than complain
__________________
mick is offline  
Old 19 March 2015, 16:02   #18
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,863
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Thy cud be rite an all lad
__________________
.
willk is offline  
Old 19 March 2015, 16:08   #19
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Howdy Oldtimer! Yeah, we do Touchy-Feely now . Tell me, is JSP still on the go? I often wonder....
He was down Cornwall last time I spoke to him but that will be a few years back now.

Hows it going apart from Poly being even worse than before
__________________
chewy is offline  
Old 19 March 2015, 16:11   #20
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,863
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
He was down Cornwall last time I spoke to him but that will be a few years back now.

Hows it going apart from Poly being even worse than before
Well, at least they're both alive...

Difficult to say how things are. There are some happy people and some unhappy people. I seem to remember that this is fairly much the same as before. The people are all different mind you. I'm looking forward to the next crop - I'm hoping they're a hardier strain
__________________

__________________
.
willk is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.