Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 25 June 2006, 17:29   #61
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
Is there a way that if you do this - that the "babble, nonsense, abuse, humour" pages won't show up if you clikc new posts? I am sure that many of your users - like me click "new posts" each day and probably would prefer not to have the nonsense appear?
I haven't looked to see if it's a standard feature, but it would certainly be possible. Sounds like a reasonable idea.

John
__________________

__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2006, 17:41   #62
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
OK, I'l try again with that question . . .

If we had a "Not quite a chat room" section, would we still need the "Other stuff" section in its current form?

John
Personally I think the other stuff could just be converted to the idle chat section.

It depends on whether you feel there is anything of value in that forum worth preserving - if you feel it ads value to the site because it contains useful info or helps you make hits in the search engines then it may be worth keeping it in addition to a new auto pruned chat page...

This is my opinion only - mainly based on the fact that i find all the chat on land rovers etc tiresome and boring.

However an argument could be that there is some useful info in there regarding tow vehicles.
__________________

roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2006, 17:46   #63
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
However an argument could be that there is some useful info in there regarding tow vehicles.
I was just having a scan through, and I think that "Tow vehicles, 4x4s and driving" might even justify its own section.

Of the remainder, I suspect that much of it could happily pass into oblivion after a while, but it would be worth having a check to see if we would lose much of any use.

John
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2006, 17:48   #64
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
I was just having a scan through, and I think that "Tow vehicles, 4x4s and driving" might even justify its own section.
That would be most useful... might save me a lot of searching!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2006, 18:46   #65
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
That would be most useful... might save me a lot of searching!
Not really. I was thinking of nominating you to move the 4x4 threads to their new home!

BTW I moved the talk about bikes to a new thread. It was interesting that bikes came up though, because there's a bike site that demonstrates what the new "Not quite a chat room" section could become.

Go to www.advrider.com and check out "Jo momma". Take plenty of popcorn; it's got 1.5 million posts (they don't "time expire" them at all)!

John
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2006, 03:06   #66
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
looks like we are getting there

i think a section dedicated to tow vehicles, trailers and all those areas of interest will be really useful as it promotes a lot of discussion, interest and debate. if the rest of the other stuff section is then ok to slowly lose over time then i guess you have a plan
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2006, 05:32   #67
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
Oops. Looks like I might have to work a bit harder at being pompous and up myself them. The next person who suggests I have lightened up will be banned!

John, you have.............


















a safe journey up to pwilly and will be good to meet you at last!
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2006, 13:42   #68
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: Delta 1
Make: Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 90hp Optimax
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
John, you have.............


a safe journey up to pwilly and will be good to meet you at last!
Creep
__________________
JG Marine Services Ltd Specialist Safety Boat Services

Bodfuan Shoot Ltd Traditional British Game Shooting
Jono Garton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2006, 09:15   #69
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: I.O.W
Boat name: Leeway
Make: leeway 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp = 73mph :0)
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
Leeway came onto the forums declaring that he had designed a new rib. He claimed that it was his own work when it was clearly not.
how can you say that?

it is my design..please can you produce the proof its not??
__________________
https://www.leewaycomposites.co.uk complex composites for a complex world.. https://www.leewayribs.co.uk
LeewayComposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2006, 09:45   #70
Member
 
Jono's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeewayComposite
how can you say that?

it is my design..please can you produce the proof its not??
...your own word perhaps?

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....4&page=1&pp=10
__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2006, 10:39   #71
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: I.O.W
Boat name: Leeway
Make: leeway 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp = 73mph :0)
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono

sorry, don't quite see where i lie. please point it out.
__________________
https://www.leewaycomposites.co.uk complex composites for a complex world.. https://www.leewayribs.co.uk
LeewayComposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2006, 11:45   #72
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,012
Here's a summary:

After announcing you had designed a new RIB, you have admitted that you didn't actually design your hulls, and that you made mouldings from existing boats.

Your boats are clearly, by your own admission, not your design as you claim.

The end result may well be "unique", and no one is doubting that you did the work yourself.

You think that this is OK, as do a number of other people. Some disagree. I'm not going to let this go round in circles again.

John
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2006, 11:49   #73
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
. I'm not going to let this go round in circles again.

John
Phew!!
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2006, 11:55   #74
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Proper Job
Make: Explorer Marine
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Merc outboard
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 53
John

what a relief - those in the know or who have a point of view have had plenty of time to express it, those like me who know nothing about the facts probably had similar reactions to me - i.e. "not again, spare us from another round of mud-slinging"
please just put this one to bed

pete
__________________
Pete L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2006, 12:16   #75
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,012
The references to Leeway in this thread were about other people's treatment of him. Both sides have had more than adequate "right to reply" and I have already locked two threads.

No more please!

John
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2006, 02:26   #76
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
Oh Heck! You must be the only one. I'll try to remember to get right on your nerves fairly soon.
A girl like you could never get on my nerves!
__________________

__________________
Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.