Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09 October 2005, 09:11   #1
Tim M's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,837
What you need as a skipper.....

I've read through loads of threads on coding and commercial useage but I'm still confused......

What does one need to operate a boat commercially first in cat 6 or 5. I take it you need more training/experiance/paper work etc to work in 5.....

Also, if you are coded for 12 passengers and 2 crew do both crew need to have the nessassery paper work or is it just the skipper.....AND do you have to operate with 2 or can you work with just 1.


Edit: sorry meant to put this in the commercial area....

Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 October 2005, 09:17   #2
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,850
The most common (Local licenses excluded) is an Advanced Certificate of competence (gained through an exam) with Commercial endorsement.

This is where you book an examiner (which can be done through the RYA), who will assess your competence in a powerboat. YOu will also need, to commercially endorse it, an ML5 medical certificate, a sea survival certificate, a VHF certificate and first aid.

The minimum requirements for the exam are:

2 years relevant experience (As a guide 20 days, 2 days as skipper, 800 miles, 12 night hours) If you have the RYA Advanced Course Completion the seatime is reduced to 20 days, 2 as skipper, 400 miles, 12 night hours.

They reccommend you also hold
RYA Level 2
RYA Intermediate
RYA Day Skipper Shorebased
RYA Advanced Powerboat Course completion

All the above is taken from G20, the powerboat logbook, and is probably the best method of gaining your license to take paying passsengers.

Not a clue on the boat requirements!

Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 October 2005, 11:24   #3
Country: France
Town: Brittany
Length: no boat
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 119
This should be a FAQ.

You need a Commercial Endorsement to an existing Certificate, see:

Commercial Endorsement

Which will allow you to operate in areas as defined in:


Nick Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2005, 15:47   #4
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,562
and when you have done all that the most important attribute is a deep desire not too hurt your passengers just remeber whats may just be midly stimulating for you could be frightening for your passengers.

if you need to have a chat about it then I am home for a month or so from nest week
Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.