Old 16 January 2014, 06:13   #1

Town: Burnley
Length: 4m +
Hi, can anybody help? I am looking to attain my commercially endorsed advanced level powerboat in the hope that I can gain employment as a driver. I have come across some providers down south that look amazing but I am wondering if there are any that could be recommended a bit nearer home in lancashire. I would really appreciate any feedback. Chris
Old 16 January 2014, 06:27   #2

Town: Morecambe
Boat name: Various
Make: Various
Length: 10m +
Engine: Various
Ce

Try Giving Jakey at ring at Glasson sea school, probably nearest to you, I know he has an advanced course running at the moment, and they are hoping to do the CE at the same time. 07771926689 (John Jaques)
Make sure you have all the other requirements, PPR, Sea survival, VHF, First Aid, Medical (ENG 1 / ML5)
Old 16 January 2014, 06:40   #3

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
try Safewater training in New Brighton, good setup there

or Hoylake Sailing School, they can do all commercial endorsements for whatever you want
Old 16 January 2014, 07:14   #4

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
It is worth researching the training schools carefully (as you are doing). In the courses I have done I found that some RYA training schools were much better than others. I cannot recommend any as all my tidal powerboat training was done on the south coast.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2014, 07:54   #5

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
I agree with Chris regarding doing some research, not all RYA centres are the same

I suggested Safe Water Training as I have experience of their training, I have done all of my practical courses there, some of the staff are on the local lifeboat crew, they do commercial work themselves, so they understand what they are doing, not just following a training manual

I also suggested Hoylake Sailing School as I have experience of their shore based courses, they only use experienced staff who know what they are talking about and can explain in great depth the subject matter, which I found a great help! they offer all commercial endorsements as far up the scale as you would ever want to go, and also offer the practical endorsements

well worth checking out both websites or give them a call, but as Chris has said do your research, don't just go with the cheapest option as you may not get value for money

by the way, I've no experience of Trell's suggestion Glasson Sea School, so not suggesting those I've recommended are any better, just giving you more options
Old 16 January 2014, 08:07   #6

Thank you so much everyone for such a fabulous response. I really do appreciate it. Chris.
Old 19 January 2014, 13:09   #7

Town: North Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mary Olwen
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: OB, Petrol, 140HP
Wavelength training (They're on here - search for the user 'wavelength') are based in Fleetwood/Knott End and I can highly recommend them.
Not sure if they're doing much training at the moment, I think Dave is busy driving Windcats, but it's worth a call/email.
Old 19 January 2014, 13:21   #8

Tried him. He couldnt help. Must be a busy chap though. Shame because he dis look good. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 19 January 2014, 14:58   #9

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Chris. Have you got your advanced and just want to endorse it, or are you after the whole thing?

Reason is I am after my advanced and quite fancy doing the commercial as well, and as I am already a boat master shouldn't have to complete all the extra stuff.

Think we are from the same part of the world so let me know how you get on.
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2014, 15:09   #10

At the moment I am just level 2. Still endorsable. But want to do intermediate and advanced asap. I am just unsure where and how to go about it
Old 19 January 2014, 16:25   #11

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissybabe View Post
Hi, can anybody help? I am looking to attain my commercially endorsed advanced level powerboat in the hope that I can gain employment as a driver. I have come across some providers down south that look amazing but I am wondering if there are any that could be recommended a bit nearer home in lancashire. I would really appreciate any feedback. Chris
You've received some good advice and a few pointers from other forum members about where to seek the required traiining but I think a reality check is in order.

Employment opportunities for a commercially-endorsed PB level 2 are extremely limited.

The absolute minimum for working on the windfarms as a 'Driver' is a commercially-endorsed Yachtmaster ticket and even these opportunities are disappearing rapidly as more and more companies are now requiring a minimum of a 200 ton MCA COC ticket.

Please don't let this put you off. By all means get your PB2 commercially endorsed and then get EXPERIENCE as a deckhand whilst you study for your Yachtmaster or 200 ton COC

There is, of course, a requirement to have a minimum number of hours at sea in your logbook before any commercial endorsement is conferred so if you're really interested in becoming a professional skipper, I suggest you need to get out there as a deckie and get a ton of hours under your belt whilst studying.

Good luck. The industry is always looking for excellent, EXPERIENCED skippers.
Old 19 January 2014, 16:30   #12

RIBase
I agree that it would be very hard to find any work with a commercially endorsed PB2 but there is work available for advanced powerboat commercially endorsed skippers.

Chris
Old 19 January 2014, 16:34   #13

Thank you very much, I obviously appreciate that I have an awfully long way to go, all that I meant re endorsement on the level 2 was that it will be going through the same motions as endorsing an advanced ticket. I didnt mean to come across as cock sure. I dont think for a second that I will simply fall into a fantastic dream job, however you do have to start somewhere which is why I am asking the good people of ribnet for any help and advice. I really do appreciate every bit.
Old 19 January 2014, 16:38   #14

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissybabe View Post
Thank you very much, I obviously appreciate that I have an awfully long way to go, all that I meant re endorsement on the level 2 was that it will be going through the same motions as endorsing an advanced ticket. I didnt mean to come across as cock sure. I dont think for a second that I will simply fall into a fantastic dream job, however you do have to start somewhere which is why I am asking the good people of ribnet for any help and advice. I really do appreciate every bit.
Relax. You didn't come across as 'cock sure' in the slightest. I just don't want you to invest financially and emotionally in a 'dream' only for you to find out, having attained your qualification, that there's not too many opportunities to recoup your investment....

As I said, good luck
Old 19 January 2014, 16:41   #15

Thank you very much
Old 19 January 2014, 16:44   #16

RIBase
What type of work do you want to do? If you let us know what work you are aiming for someone can advise on the best route to get there (whatever work you want, someone on here will have done it and know the best way to get qualified for that work).
Old 19 January 2014, 16:46   #17

Length: no boat
Brian did my powerboat at Ashby powerboat school in Wiltshire.
Don't know how far up the ladder there qualifications go but they were great.
Old 19 January 2014, 16:53   #18

To be honest to begin with I would do anything, day trippers, some rescue boat cover, support boat driving really anything like the gentleman said, experience is the key. I am willing to do just about anything it takes lol within reason. I am happy to assist people to gain experience I really am open to most opportunities
Old 19 January 2014, 16:56   #19

Length: no boat
St Michaels mount in Cornwall are advertising for boat helmsman and a head of boating.
The head of boating position has a house on the mount included too!!
Old 19 January 2014, 17:00   #20

I saw that on another thread. The mrs is not ready for a full time move yet, but it looks fab. Something like that but closer to here would be great. Dont get me wrong, I wouldn't mind working away as long as I can afford to come home when im off lol. Thanks though