DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Seabed Survey

Not sure whether this should go in here or 'other stuff'...

Does anyone have any experience either of undertaking shallow seabed surveys, or been chartered to take people out to do this type of work?

I need to get a seabed survey done on a very specific area (small), so was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of people that could do that sort of stuff.

Thanks!!
Old 18 April 2011, 15:11   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
For the last few years we have been carrying out surveys of the seabed SW of Alderney, in tides of up to 6 knots and depths of up to 50m.

What sort of data do you want? SONAR, video, biology or water movement?
Old 18 April 2011, 17:24   #3

Town: Torrance
As above - a lot depends on what sort of data you are looking for.

Tried it from a 9m rib a couple of times and found that the space was a limiting factor as well as the difficult in fixing equipment and also keeping the electronics dry. I personally wouldn't use a rib if I had a choice.

SDG
Old 18 April 2011, 17:40   #4

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Have already dropped you a PM DGR....

We regularly undertake survey work such as ADCP and Bathymetric Survey, will soon also be doing some accoustic work in some pretty fast running stuff /a sound where the RIB is definately the right vessel.....RIB is ideal for the above sort of work.....Horses for courses TBH

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2011, 18:01   #5

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post
I need to get a seabed survey done on a very specific area (small), so was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of people that could do that sort of stuff.
We train the British Geological Survey. They do a lot of this sort of work. PM me if you want contact details/introduction

Ian
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2011, 19:54   #6
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
The site is rather shallow - so shallow that it's dry at low tide ...

I need to find out about the geology under a section of beach so that I can design a foundation. I've been told that it is several layers of moraine 'armour' boulders separated by sand - so I don't know whether there is any sonar equipment that can penetrate these sorts of geology.

The site is exposed at low water springs, but completely submerged for 75% of the time - so it could be done dry or 'wet' - but I suspect that from a boat from mid-tide onwards would be the most sensible suggestion.

Thanks for the PMs - I'll get back to you as soon as I can!!

Cheers,

D...
Old 21 April 2011, 01:16   #7

Town: Tenby
Boat name: O.C.D.
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 100
There is plenty of seabed penetrating equipment out there, i only really have experience with offshore stuff, but i dont see a problem using a rib to tow a surface tow boomer & hydrophone, providing you can get enough power to run it. A small work boat would be a more user friendly option.

I know that there are people on here who could well do the job, but there is a nearshore survey company near Bridgend called 'Titan Surveys', they maybe able to help if others can't.

I have no affiliation to them though i did look into working for them at one stage.
Old 22 April 2011, 09:36   #8

Town: South Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post
Not sure whether this should go in here or 'other stuff'...

Does anyone have any experience either of undertaking shallow seabed surveys, or been chartered to take people out to do this type of work?

Thanks!!
Try these guys.

I've worked with them on survey's

http://marinewales.com/businesses/356-Peninsula-Ribs
Old 26 April 2011, 11:47   #9

Town: Tayport
Boat name: Swordsman
Engine: Yamaha 225hp
Seabed survey

Hi,
We run a 7.5m alloy charter boat specifically for this type of work.
You can view the boat on www.marinerevolution.com, but she is a big workboat with open work deck and walk through transom. We have various attachments for fitting sonar/acoustic sensors to the hull on frames. We can custom make attachments also for specific equipment.
The boat has a cabin with a good dry work space. She is fitted with a high capacity independent power supply for running equipment without interference.
We have 12vdc and a pure sine wave 240vdc power supply in the cabin. NMEA interface and a range of 12vdc connectors for running equipment off. (and a loo for the ladies and shy blokes!)

The boat is MCA coded and can operate with up to 7 crew. She is a very capable sea boat and capable of cruising at 28kn and 40kn max. We have a 15hp auxiliary engine for low speed work.

We specialize in scientific charter work and have worked with various government departments, universities and environmental companies both in the UK and Europe.

Feel free to contact me on 01382 552555 if you wish to discuss your work further.

Thanks
Julian