Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Sailing close to the Line

My boat has got loads of safety kit on board and could easily be coded with the addition of a liferaft.

My questions are;
If I do safety cover for charitable organisation and get fuel for boat and car, accomodation, food etc but not take paying passengers would this require coding

Also if I do a "try a powerboat" for a local RYA training centre and get paid for it, will the RYA Centre effectively remove the requirement for my boat to be coded?

These are probably minefield questions but I suspect that lots of other people a unsure of these greyish areas and I`d appreciate clarification.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old 15 September 2004, 10:58   #2

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
[QUOTE=CJL] My boat has got loads of safety kit on board and could easily be coded with the addition of a liferaft.

My questions are;
If I do safety cover for charitable organisation and get fuel for boat and car, accomodation, food etc but not take paying passengers would this require coding

you would need insurance for this and for your crew as its outside of you policy ie pleasure use

Also if I do a "try a powerboat" for a local RYA training centre and get paid for it, will the RYA Centre effectively remove the requirement for my boat to be coded?

again you are taking people out for hire or reward so insurance and coding again is required also the boat is not the training centres so would not be covered under thier policy, and try a powerboat is not a RYA recognised course

these are my interpretations of how it could effect you, i use other instructors with thier own boats but the boats must be covered for tuition and the instructor must have his own insurance available from the RYA
before they teach for me
hope this is of some use to you
regards Tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Old 15 September 2004, 11:23   #3

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL
My boat has got loads of safety kit on board and could easily be coded with the addition of a liferaft.

Chris
How high is the top of your transom from the water when fully loaded? Alot of ribs can't be coded because of this fact
Old 15 September 2004, 13:51   #4
CJL

RIBase
I`ve no idea how high my freeboard is but the boat has been previously coded by MDBSA (i think thats right).

Chris
Old 15 September 2004, 14:21   #5

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Chris
I got an additional line added in my insurance policy stating that it could be used for safety cover of dinghy sailing events. This was no extra hassle.

AS for the safety cover on sailing events - this could be interesting.
Rgds
James

Just talked to Jon Mendez,
If the sailing event is being run through an RYA recognised club (ie Topper Nationals was the Plym SC), then you fall under the club safety boat bracket,
as you are helping the club.

As for Try a boat don't know ask Jon he's on the RYA stand this week
Old 15 September 2004, 15:23   #6
CJL

RIBase
That makes sense I suppose.

Problem I`ve now got is I`ve been invited to other events such a rowing events, dragon boats, powerboats etc. I wonder if this will impact on things?

It seems stupid that I have to get my boat coded if I`m using it for safety cover and putting something back into these sports. Its not like I`m getting cash for taking passengers, I just get my reciepts paid. Plus ten times out of ten I`ve worse off after going to the pub.

Chris
Old 15 September 2004, 18:43   #7

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
codeing

You don't need it for the safety boat cover, as i mentioned before just the insurance for the boat and crew as it will be an addition to your normal use of the boat but you will need it for try a powerboat as is not a RYA course out of interest how many crew onboard when you are doing safety cover
regards Tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk