Old 15 January 2008, 18:06   #1

Town: Huntly
Make: Searider 4.7
Length: 4m +
Engine: 75 Suzuki
Restricted category 3

My boat is coded cat 4, I have had a enquiry from someone wanting to buy it about upping this to cat 3. From previous posts I notice reference to restricted cat 3, what over and above cat 4 does this require? It is so the boat can be used for RYA Advanced powerboat courses.
From looking at the codes it will need a barometer, search light and full weight anchors(which it has) for restricted does it need a enclosure?
Old 15 January 2008, 18:14   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANT View Post
My boat is coded cat 4, I have had a enquiry from someone wanting to buy it about upping this to cat 3. From previous posts I notice reference to restricted cat 3, what over and above cat 4 does this require? It is so the boat can be used for RYA Advanced powerboat courses.
From looking at the codes it will need a barometer, search light and full weight anchors(which it has) for restricted does it need a enclosure?
I am in the same position and have gained some advice. My understanding is that restricted Cat 3 would be on distance from safe haven (3 miles) instead of 20 miles under cat 4. All lifejackets have to have lights etc. This cat 3 retriction is not guaranteed and has to be applied for. Ask your surveyor for help as it is achievable and does not need the enclosure for the restricted area of ops
Old 15 January 2008, 18:25   #3

Length: 6m +
Interesting, I was just poking around on this subject, and I've found a company in London that appear to have a Ribcraft 585 coded to cat 3!

http://www.londonpowerboatschool.com/charter.html

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-dq...ls?code_id=134
Old 15 January 2008, 18:27   #4

Again, looks like all of Solent Rib Charters fleet are Cat 3 coded:

http://www.solentribcharter.co.uk/pd..._Bareboat2.pdf
Old 15 January 2008, 18:27   #5
RIBnet supporter

Seeing their site I wonder if the Cat 3 is for the Thames restriction even though it says otherwise
Old 15 January 2008, 18:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
Seeing their site I wonder if the Cat 3 is for the Thames restriction even though it says otherwise
Well, the details on the MCA site would appear to imply it is fully Cat 3 coded, and as you correctly point out, their website specifically states "Additionally, MCA category 3 coding allows the vessel to be operated offshore, day and night, up 20 miles from a safe haven."
Old 15 January 2008, 19:48   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Not entirely sure but

i have a feeling that the need for an enclosure for night time use became a requirement recently if the ribs in question were coded 2 years ago it might have been acceptable.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2008, 20:37   #8

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
RW is right. I had a Tornado 5.8 coded in 2002 that was fully cat 3, using a fabric canopy that we could put up when needed (for the inspection was the only time!). There is no way that approach would be acceptable now in the new harmonised code that requires a "substantial enclosure".
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2008, 08:11   #9

the boat will not be going more than a mile offshore but it will at one point be more than 3 miles from a safe haven (by about 0.5 of a mile) It will be used with only 4 people max onboard.
What will be required or is it down to the surveyor/Mecal can they allow 4 miles etc?
Only looking to use for training, I don't want to take out normal paying passengers, a warm fire and a pint seem much more appealing when its dark!
Another question how do you do night time passage for advanced up here in summer when it doesn't really get dark?
Old 16 January 2008, 13:23   #10

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANT View Post
the boat will not be going more than a mile offshore but it will at one point be more than 3 miles from a safe haven (by about 0.5 of a mile) It will be used with only 4 people max onboard.
What will be required or is it down to the surveyor/Mecal can they allow 4 miles etc?
Only looking to use for training, I don't want to take out normal paying passengers, a warm fire and a pint seem much more appealing when its dark!
Another question how do you do night time passage for advanced up here in summer when it doesn't really get dark?
You would be better to ask your surveyor/Certifying Authority as exceptions/agreements can be made. Luckly I do not have this problem as the Redbay has a substantial enclosure allowing full Cat3 operation, however I do know of another operator with an open boat who is certified to operate to Cat 3 at night with reduced numbers and providing that all persons on board are wearing a full survival suit.
Andy
Old 16 January 2008, 18:00   #11

Town: Poole
Cat 3

Alan

Hi. I have run a few RIBs coded to Cat 3 (restricted) - these have all been via Mecal. Currently we run a 7.8m Ribcraft coded as such. The Cat 3 restriction bit limits us to 3 miles from a Safe Haven at night and requires that we have suitable lifejackets lights, spotlights etc for night time use.

There is no requirement for a sheltered wheelhouse/some sort of structure/cover etc.

You mention being interested in Cat 3 in relation to running the Advanced Course - I assume that you are aware though that as long as you operate within 3 miles of your NDP and 3 miles of land then the vessel does not need to be coded for this as it is covered under the RYA dispensation.

Hope this helps

Regards

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2008, 21:52   #12

Alan, not sure if this is clear from the thread - but where are you working? If you're in, or near, categorised waters that changes the requirements anyway.
Tel; 07525 012 013
Old 17 January 2008, 09:02   #13

Seaskills, Working in the north sea(Moray Firth).
Paul, The problem is the boat will be further than 3 miles from NDP Safehaven by about 1 mile due to the lack of navigation marks in the area need to go further afield to get these! Would need minimum 4 miles from Safehaven.
Old 17 January 2008, 11:22   #14

Hi Alan. I know the area fairly well - I've run a number of courses and assessments up there (and due to be doing some instructor training up there in the near future). I've also inspected most of the existing RYA training centres up there over the past few years so I appreciate the problems you face.

Happy to help out if I can. Send me a PM if you want and I'll get back to you offline. If introductions to any of the local RYA guys would be useful to you - again, just PM me

Good luck with it all, it's not the easiest place to organise what you're planning - but the good news is that it is possible
Tel; 07525 012 013
Old 23 January 2013, 08:38   #15

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Rib Bravo
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo KAD32
Red code for RYA training has changed/een clarified by MCA

Just for those looking back at the archive... the Red Code has been clarified by the MCA and boats used to RYA advanced training now need to be coded for the area of operation. There are also a number of RYA specific requirements. If you are planning to do this best to contact RYA for the latest set of requirements..

Boatabilty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Glatzel View Post
Alan

Hi. I have run a few RIBs coded to Cat 3 (restricted) - these have all been via Mecal. Currently we run a 7.8m Ribcraft coded as such. The Cat 3 restriction bit limits us to 3 miles from a Safe Haven at night and requires that we have suitable lifejackets lights, spotlights etc for night time use.

There is no requirement for a sheltered wheelhouse/some sort of structure/cover etc.

You mention being interested in Cat 3 in relation to running the Advanced Course - I assume that you are aware though that as long as you operate within 3 miles of your NDP and 3 miles of land then the vessel does not need to be coded for this as it is covered under the RYA dispensation.

Hope this helps

Regards

Paul
Old 23 January 2013, 08:57   #16
RIBnet supporter

earlier post - "You mention being interested in Cat 3 in relation to running the Advanced Course - I assume that you are aware though that as long as you operate within 3 miles of your NDP and 3 miles of land then the vessel does not need to be coded for this as it is covered under the RYA dispensation."

Can we clarify this again as my belief was all advanced RYA powerboat courses need to be on coded vessels- have the RYA given more dispensation as Paul suggests above ?
Old 23 January 2013, 10:07   #17

Town: Plymouth
All our RIBs are Coded via Mecal to Cat 3 restricted. This allows operation upto 3 miles from a safe haven at night providing that suitable clothing and lifejackets with lights are worn and radio contact with the shore is maintained. No enclosure or barometer is required, but we do have to carry a search light, torch and life buoy lights in addition to the Cat 4 requirements.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2013, 10:23   #18

Ian

You're correct all advanced courses require a coded boat.

Paul's post above is from 2008 when the requirements were different.

I had to double check as I didn't think Paul would be giving out incorrect advice!

Graham
Old 23 January 2013, 10:33   #19
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Ian

You're correct all advanced courses require a coded boat.

Paul's post above is from 2008 when the requirements were different.

I had to double check as I didn't think Paul would be giving out incorrect advice!

Graham
Cheers saw date Jan for Pauls Post and like you was surprised as another post had coding all over it, Never crossed my mind to look at date 2008!!
Old 24 January 2013, 17:10   #20

Town: Morecambe
Boat name: Various
Make: Various
Engine: Various
Restricted Cat 3

Got 2 coded 3R.
9m Ribcraft and 11m Humber, both twin engine set ups. 10 miles from safe haven at night, had to produce a lot of risk assessments for all eventualities, flotation suits / dry suits, life jackets with lights.