Old 21 September 2008, 21:22   #1

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
MRI Adventure & Exploration Course

There was an advert that appeared in RIB INT a few times for an "adventure and exploration rib operator course" with MRI at Stonehaven that I'm sure many of you have seen.

Does anyone have any 1st hand experience of this course or know anybody that has? Or any comments or further info?

I've emailed and snail mailed RIB INT a couple of times expressing an interest recently but its fallen on deaf ears which p*sses me off. Might just give MRI a ring in the week but thought I'd try and get some feedback from others before I commit to anything. £1500 is a lot of money but for a 5 day course in a 9m RIB seems like reasonable value?
Old 22 September 2008, 18:25   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I don't know of that specific course, but it sounds like its just a fast track commercial ticket. You'd probably be better of doing it at any training center and then having a bit of practice doing charters for real, combined with some local wikipedia knowledge.
Old 22 September 2008, 19:06   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I don't know of that specific course, but it sounds like its just a fast track commercial ticket. You'd probably be better of doing it at any training center and then having a bit of practice doing charters for real, combined with some local wikipedia knowledge.
don't think it is... I saw the advert and the editorial don't recall any mention of commercial tickets.
Old 22 September 2008, 20:50   #4

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
I didn't see that ad, but I hold MRI in high regard - Hamish is a good guy
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2008, 07:09   #5

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Length: 10m +
Engine: large
if your planning on doing thrill rides in the alderney race or fast moving water or hazardous area then im sure its well worth it, if your planning on doing charter work in the solent then maybe not....! is there an application in mind that has made you ask?
Old 23 September 2008, 16:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikster View Post
if your planning on doing thrill rides in the alderney race or fast moving water or hazardous area then im sure its well worth it, if your planning on doing charter work in the solent then maybe not....! is there an application in mind that has made you ask?
I'm not planning on doing any charter work and have no immediate plans to get a commercial ticket. I just want to further my skills after doing PB3 a few years ago.

Long distance offshore cruising is my area of interest, I just want to feel confident that I can cope with any situation that might occur a long way from home and also be confident of handling a big rib in big seas.
Old 23 September 2008, 16:18   #7

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Do you mean safety boat course by level 3?

You'd probably best off doing advanced powerboat if you want to further your cruising skills.
Old 23 September 2008, 21:42   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills View Post
I didn't see that ad, but I hold MRI in high regard - Hamish is a good guy
That's for sure Hamish or Dog Phillips are the only guys I'd want to teach me rough water work.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2008, 21:43   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
You'd probably best off doing advanced powerboat if you want to further your cruising skills.
I did advanced PB a few years ago and although you'll always learn something new and it was a good wkend, I didn't find it particularly challenging. (Don't tell my mum but I was sneaking out and doing solo night passages at 14 years old!)

The MRI course sounds like it's just what I'm looking for plus they have big twin ribs similar to mine. They have a excellent reputation as well as being based up north where suitable weather conditions seem to be the norm!
Old 23 September 2008, 21:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
That's for sure Hamish or Dog Phillips are the only guys I'd want to teach me rough water work.
That coming from a commercial instructor - I'm sold!
Old 26 September 2008, 23:35   #11

Had a quick chat with Hugo at rib int today just to register my interest. Theres been no interest over the summer as you would expect but they are hoping to run a course "early winter". So far its just me and 1 other person interested and they need minimum 4 people. The ad is being run in the next issue of the mag but I thought I would mention it here as well, the sooner we get some more people signed up the sooner I can go!

If anybody is interested they should get in touch with Hugo or even pm me and I'll pass your details on
Old 29 September 2008, 19:06   #12

For those that have asked for more info:

The course is run over 5 days out of Stonehaven, north east Scotland, and includes daylight and darkness operations in all sea states. (Don't blame me for the comma followed by "and", I'm just copying out of the mag!)

Course price £1500 plus VAT 5% discount for Rib int subscribers

The training craft are two 8.75m Ribs, one twin petrol outboards, one twin inboard diesel/water jets.

Would take me all night to copy the lot (I don't type for a living!) but a couple of interesting elements of the course:

Open water and adverse sea state handling
Surf zone operations
Working alongside underway vessels
Transfer of personnel to other vessels
Old 30 September 2008, 22:42   #13

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Length: 10m +
Engine: large
We can teach 1,3 & 4 here in the solent (circumference of IOW) - however - as before = what do you wantto achieve?.....other than some more advanced handling.........

Big Rib - Big Sea course day/night - no problem to teach here - if your after tactical large rib driving with heaps of actual scenario based elements either in your own rib or a large rib similar to yours then advise your aspirations?

Driving ribs in rough - good vis - is no real drama's
Driving ribs in Low Viz - planing - to a rendevous and remaining confident of your position and always having an escape plan is slightly different.....
Driving ribs at night in low viz with limited fuel and a critical rendevous tends to concentrate the mind
Driving ribs at night in low viz with heavy workload, critical fuel and urgent rendevous and then equipment failure = brain overload..... but provides confidence in abilities for general leisure / commercial use and tends to ensure said rib driver is comfortable with known equipment and known vessels capabilities..........

What do you want to achieve from the ultimate course you take?
is it personal achievment?, is it a certificate to add to the collection? is it a desire to explore beyond your current comfort levels, is it a desire to know your personal and crafts limits?

Driving someone elses 10m rib in waters that appear horrendous to you but common fun for them does not always help unless you own the same boat????

As with all courses tho - its personal preference and value that you place on the experience that counts.......not the course and craft operated.... so if you feel it sounds like fun and eduational then go for it....! if you want a course that matches your boat profile and aspirations then interoogate further to confirm its the right course to go and spend your dosh on....!!

Either way....... enjoy and communicate to the rest of us....

:-)
Old 01 October 2008, 07:25   #14

Town: West of Scotland
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 100
good comments from Nikster