Old 30 January 2012, 16:42   #1

Town: Cowes
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Inboard Yamaha ME420
MCA Coding

Good evening. I need to get my Rib coded in the next couple of weeks and just wondered if anyone had any recommendations as to who I should get to do it? I live on the west coast of Scotland just outside Glasgow and would appreciate anyone’s suggestions. As per everyone I am looking for the cheapest.
Cheers
Old 31 January 2012, 20:50   #2

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Probably not the cheapest, but Jim McIlraith (Survey 1) is the one I'd recommend
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2012, 21:49   #3

Town: North
Boat name: PPT
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki
MMSI: 07795600946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribcraft9 View Post
Good evening. I need to get my Rib coded in the next couple of weeks and just wondered if anyone had any recommendations as to who I should get to do it? I live on the west coast of Scotland just outside Glasgow and would appreciate anyone’s suggestions. As per everyone I am looking for the cheapest.
Cheers
Call the RYA on 02380604100 and ask for the technical department. They can email you a list of contacts that survey/code small commercial vessels operating under MGN 280. A chap named Mike Fox is one of several that covers most of the North. Unfortunately I can't find his number at present. If I find it I will pm you. Hope that helps.
Old 01 February 2012, 05:59   #4

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
I suspect (may be wrong) that the RYA, as a coding authority themselves, may just send you a list of their own surveyors. Not that there's anything wrong with them - in fact they probably have a better understanding of RIBs than surveyors who spend most of their time on commercial shipping. But there are others and if cost is your only issue (and I don't think that's the best way to find a surveyor, by the way) you may want to hunt around. For example, MECAL have stability information for Ribcraft RIBs, and that could save you a lot of hassle with swamp tests

If you haven't already, get yourself a copy of MGN280 and a SCV2 form and get thoroughly familiar with the requirements for coding your boat. The coding survey isn't entirely straightforward and you might find that you want to discuss the best way to do things, or maybe even challenge the surveyor over his interpretation of some points. I've taken quite a few boats through coding inspections and every one has been a bit different

Good luck
Ian
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote