Old 15 September 2012, 19:03   #1

Length: no boat
Master 500 (Workboats)

Do people who are looking towards the new proposed Master 500 (Workboat) ticket in the future see that the fact that the EDH is one pre requisites for it as been a problem? I believe that for many of us in smaller workboats our sea time does not meet the sea time requirement for the EDH. Is there any way around this?
Old 16 September 2012, 05:38   #2

Town: Hoylake, Wirral
Boat name: no name
Make: n/a
Engine: n/a
MMSI: n/a
I understand that the MCA have in fact already stated that vessel size for service to be eliogible for EDH will not be an issue. i know that's not what is said in the current EDH M Notice however I understand that the MCA will be issuing a new M Notice in respect of SuperYacht OOW qualifications. When the new M Notice comes out it will identify a size of craft but the current limit of greater than 80GT or >24m will be removed.

I understand that the National Workboat Association are hoping that the M Notice creating MCA STCW 95 Master (Workboat) <500gt will be issued before the end of this year.

Hope this helps
Old 16 September 2012, 07:06   #3

Town: Weymouth
When I did my edh I remember there was statement in the m notice that said that if the sea time was on a vessel less than 80gt then the sea time was counted at 1/2 time, therefore 2 says service for I day to count as sea time.
Old 16 September 2012, 07:46   #4

Town: Hoylake, Wirral
Boat name: no name
Make: n/a
Engine: n/a
MMSI: n/a
This is the extract from MGN 97 which is current;

Efficient Deck Hand (EDH) Certificate

3.5.1 EDH is the qualifying examination for AB and deck rating certification. This can be taken after a seafarer has:
.1 attained the age of 17;
.2 served at least 12 months in the deck department of sea-going merchant ships; and
.3 obtained a Navigational Watch Rating Certificate or a Steering Certificate

3.5.2 Service in the deck department in High Speed Craft (HSC), tugs, dredgers, standby vessels, survey vessels, RN ships and fishing vessels of more than 16.5m registered length is also acceptable. Service in MOUs will be counted if serving as part of the deck crew.

3.5.3 Six months service in the deck department in HSC will be accepted in place of the 12 months service specified in paragraph 3.5.1.2 above, towards the issue of an EDH limited to HSC. This limitation may be removed on completion of 12 months sea service.

3.5.4 The syllabus for EDH training and certification is given in Annex 1.

3.5.5 Training providers must obtain approval from the MCA both to conduct EDH courses and for individual examiners. With effect from the date of issue of this MGN, there is no requirement for existing training providers to seek re-approval.

3.5.6 Approved training providers will issue certificates on behalf of the MCA and are required to maintain full records of all certificates issued. These certificates must be in the approved format as shown in Annex 2 of this note.

3.5.7 Holders of a level 2 VQ in Marine Vessel Operations may obtain an EDH certificate without further examination.

So the issues will be;
a. gaining a Navigational Watch Rating Certificate although I am aware that the MCA has been approached about accepting RYA Yachtmaster Offshore as an alternative and they will accept service in vessels >16.5m
b. service currently shown on paragraph 3.5.2 gives a length of >16.5m and I would suspect that this will be the length for the future.

I have been asked in the past what the significance is of the 16.5m and I personnaly think that it's related the Fishing Skippers/Hands CoC route as there is a CoC for fishing vessels <16.5m
Old 16 September 2012, 18:03   #5

Thanks for the information John. If the acceptance of Yachtmaster in place of the Navigational Watch Rating certificate and the 16.5m minimum size limit come to fruition then there should be no problem at all.